No announcement yet.

Wifi Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I would not mind actually wiring a cat5 cable to each light switch if I found a system that would work 100% of the time. I would not mind doing that. Isnt there anything that we could get that would work like this, and is not just overly expensive? Just forget about the powerline, and the radio waves etc. Just hardwire it? Do I have to make this myself....?
    A computer's attention span is as long
    as it's powercord.

Comment

They exist, but are incredibly expensive, especially for the install. If you are going to do wired, you need a control BOX back in some wiring closet, which I'm sure will cost you more than a UPB or any other PIM.

My opinion, I think that UPB is the most robust powerline switch. And as you described it, you want 2-3 switches, you need powerline, not a MESH type switch (which are probably MORE reliable, but you need multiple switches to "bounce" the signal around).

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

What causes line noise that will affect X10? The wiring itself is brand new, but what sort of things plugged in can cause problems?

Comment

Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
          What causes line noise that will affect X10? The wiring itself is brand new, but what sort of things plugged in can cause problems?
          If it *might* cause problems with X10, it will: microwaves, laptop power supplies, some wall warts, humidifier, etc. Adding a plugin filter or even a whole house filter will handle it though.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

New florescent lights will cause major issues with X10 and a host of other devices like PC UPS's, TV's, electric razors, etc. If it plugs in it can potentially cause noise on the power line.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

To chime in, I almost have all my x10 devices replaced with zwave.
              No filters hanging off of every electronic device in the house and when I tell something to fire it does. I always had some sort of problem with x10, that just well be my environment here. The wife loves the tablet app and is really digging the new Kwikset locks.. and Homeseer Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                If it *might* cause problems with X10, it will: microwaves, laptop power supplies, some wall warts, humidifier, etc. Adding a plugin filter or even a whole house filter will handle it though.
                Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                New florescent lights will cause major issues with X10 and a host of other devices like PC UPS's, TV's, electric razors, etc. If it plugs in it can potentially cause noise on the power line.
                So you mean like basically everything that I have lots of in my house?

Are the DS10A contact sensors that so many people seem to use affected by that as well?

Comment

Personally last year decided to stay with X-10 for the Christmas decorations. Some of the X-10 appliance modules I use are over 20 years old and still work just fine.

I also though have Insteon, UPB and Z-Wave in the house.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Are the DS10A contact sensors that so many people seem to use affected by that as well?
                    I have all that stuff in my house and do not see issues with any of it. I still use X10 (powerline and RF), have Z-Wave and UPB.

UPB drive all my light switches and is bi-directional (for when a person MANUALLY toggles a light), MOST appliance modules (all but 3). UPB is strong without a MESH of many "things".

Z-Wave drives 3 of my appliance modules (Z-Wave has OUTDOOR modules, so that is 2 of them), and my 3 thermostats. I have 2 z-wave locks (Schlage). I would like to add one Kwickset door handle, as you can not fit all Schlage stuff in a standard door drill pattern. I am currently having issues with ONE of my thermostats...I do not know why. I pulled the batteries and wall-wart. Maybe that will "reset" it. I have few modules, so my network is not "Strong", but I really only have 5 that do not need beaming. The locks require beaming...but are only about 10-15 feet from the stick. If I had a better Z-Stick type of thing, I'd probably have less issues...but I'm not a BIG Z-Wave person.

X10 powerline is stronger the fewer items you have. At this point, I only have 2 X10 modules I use. Two cameras. They typically just stay turned on forever.

X10 RF, I have DS10 contacts all over the house. On windows, etc. As long as you do not hit two of them at the exact same time, you are good. I also use a palmpad to control my HTPC when watching movies. I am starting to replace motion sensors with hardwired, as well as have a goal to move to wired contacts for the doors. Faster response, more accurate, and after a reboot or power outtage, the server IMMEDIATLY knows what is going on with the status of the house, since it just reads the sensor state. Until the RF< where you have to either cause a state change, OR you have to wait for the heartbeat from the device (15-30 min). They are cheap and easy to install, so they are a GREAT stop-gap to getting something in that is decent enough.

--Dan
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

If X10 works for you then great it's a good protocol and very affordable and easy to setup. I still have several X10 modules and they work very well. It's just that any day you can have issues such as last week when I plugged my drill charger into an outlet in the garage. Entire garage was X10 deaf.

As far as the DS10A's they are wireless and are very good devices.

The point is all the protocols have issues but each offer variety. Fins what works best in your home and mix and match what you need to get the job done.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        The point is all the protocols have issues but each offer variety. Fin[d] what works best in your home and mix and match what you need to get the job done.
                        I'll quote that. :-) ... well, mostly, I'll correct the spelling mistake.

Also, please take what I wrote as my opinion on MY setup. I went that way for my reasons, I tried to list.

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X