Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door with controller hard wired to HS

Hi Guys

I'll be running power (network, audio and any other cables required) to my detached garage and installing a regular garage door opener soon. I want to be able to do 3 things:
    • Detect open/closed state
    • Open close remotely
    • Trigger events based on open/close actions

I want to do this with a hard-wired connection (i.e. not RF) from the garage to the house (about 30 feet)

I haven't chosen the opener yet, but I'm assuming it has a simple dry contact for opening/closing from buttons

I've read many threads about it, but not sure how to achieve what I want (ideally, with a single device). I'll use correct strength magnetic contacts for open/closed.

I thought the Global Cache IP2CC would do it, but can't tell if that can detect contact states or whether it just make/break contacts. Anyone know if it can sense or just make/break.

If it can't detect contact state, I could use the IP2CC for the open/close and, worst case, I could use an IP2IR (already have one) with GC-SC1 for sensing state.

It looks like the GC-100-12 would do it, but don't want to spend $300+ to do it.

I can run cables from my HS server to the open close sensor, but still need a way to determine if contact is open or closed. I have BLDSC and DSC alarm, so perhaps a zone on the alarm?

Any other suggestions?

Regards

mark

P.S.

For those of you who are concerned or had bad experiences with the door closing with a vehicle being partially in the garage, I worked around this in my previous house by putting IR sensor diagonally from top left to bottom right, so if anything was blocking in the opening--such as a spare tire on back of SUV--(except bottom 3 feet or so on left) it would not close.

Don't have kids or anything else that's likely to be less than 3 feet high that would block the door and not break the beam. I'm sure there's an edge-case, but it solved it for me.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

I use three NO/NC switches on the two garage doors. One of them is of the "garage" door steel cable type and two are just regular small magnetic switches which work fine. (overengineered?)

Typically the open close terminals are on the garage door motor; just two of them which you can test out with a screwdriver or look in the manual for reference.

My garage doors are hard wired to the HAI OPII alarm panel. I did leave the IR saftey sensors in place which works independant of the automation and will override it at any given time. You can most likely utilize the analog to digital device that HS sells to wired the garage sensors / open close stuff too. The automobiles have the built in Homelink programmable garage door opener buttons which shut off when the car is powered down; which really is a good thing.

The issue I had many many years ago with my garage door automation was relating to ill placed logic in the automation of the garage door and the house alarm system. The auto door closing automation happened with the car running and fully inside of the garage while my wife was chatting on the cell phone. I have also pulled into the garage while on a conference call not shutting off the car; so that piece of garage door automation is not enabled today; plus there are numerous checks and balances still in place without an auto close event happening.

Too many if then statements which in a real life scenerio don't always work. If the alarm is on or if the door is open or closed then do this with the supposition that this and that happened. Personally over the years I have noticed that my perception or logic is a bit different than the wife's. She is aware of automation events but has difficulties some time relating to why they are in place; so hiccups happen; and personally if it goes in the life saftey realm then I back off. Best check for me these days is a visual to and from the inside of the garage via security cams. Thats me though.

BTW the neighbor (new babies) just refitted his garage door motors with a very quiet belt driven motor and put rubber like wheels for the tracks on the door. You can't even hear it opening or closing any more.
    Last edited by Pete; August 7, 2012, 01:33 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
    Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      The issue I had many many years ago with my garage door automation was relating to ill placed logic in the automation of the garage door and the house alarm system. The auto door closing automation happened with the car running and fully inside of the garage while my wife was chatting on the cell phone. I have also pulled into the garage while on a conference call not shutting off the car; so that piece of garage door automation is not enabled today; plus there are numerous checks and balances still in place without an auto close event happening.

Too many if then statements which in a real life scenerio don't always work. If the alarm is on or if the door is open or closed then do this with the supposition that this and that happened. Personally over the years I have noticed that my perception or logic is a bit different than the wife's. She is aware of automation events but has difficulties some time relating to why they are in place; so hiccups happen; and personally if it goes in the life saftey realm then I back off. Thats me though.

BTW the neighbor (new babies) just refitted his garage door motors with a very quiet belt driven motor and put rubber like wheels for the tracks on the door. You can't even hear it opening or closing any more.
      Thanks Pete

Wasn't figuring on any automation closing because of the logic issues. just want to know when it's open and link to events on open close.

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
      USB UIRT
      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
      2GIG Thermostat
      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
      BLUPS
      UltraLog (SQL2008)
      Jon00 Plugins
      Global Cache IP2IR
      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Main NO/NC sensor is similiar to the one pictured except it has three wires (NC/NO). The smaller ones work as well as this one and are a fraction of the price. In the old house I didn't have an optimal view of the open detached garage door view so I installed a small flashing lamp in the wired button to let me know it was open. (this was the 1980's). Today I do not have a visual unless I actually walk into the garage or look at the cams as its like two rooms' passthrough with a hallway to get to it.

Here's a simple single script (as an example) just for the TTS that I utilize for both doors. (not sure on my logic but it works for me).

Sub Main()

' Global Variables

dim t

' Main APP

t=hs.GetLastEvent

hs.SetVolume 3, 3, true
        'hs.WaitSecs(2)
        'hs.WaitEvents

'hs.WriteLog "HAI CHECK","Zone 20 is " & hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneName(20) & " and has status " & hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneStatus(20) & " with a value of " & hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneValue(20)
        'hs.WriteLog "HAI CHECK","Zone 21 is " & hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneName(21) & " and has status " & hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneStatus(21) & " with a value of " & hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneValue(21)
        'hs.WriteLog "Last Event",t

' Speak Garage door one is closed
        'if hs.IsOn("$43") and t="Garage Door 1 Closed Speech" then
        if hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneStatus(20) = "Secure" and t="Garage Door 1 Closed Speech" then
        hs.speak "Garage door one is closed.",true
        if hs.IsOff("D1") then hs.execx10 "d1","on",0
        hs.WaitEvents
        'hs.execx10 "d1","on",0
        'hs.WaitEvents
        end if

' Speak Garage door one is open
        'if hs.IsOff("$43") and t="Garage Door 1 Open Speech" then
        if hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneStatus(20) = "Not Ready" and t="Garage Door 1 Open Speech" then
        hs.speak "Garage door one is open.",true
        'hs.WaitSecs(2)
        'hs.WaitEvents
        end if

' Speak Garage door two is closed
        'if hs.IsOn("$44") and t="Garage Door 2 Closed Speech" then
        if hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneStatus(21) = "Secure" and t="Garage Door 2 Closed Speech" then
        hs.speak "Garage door two is closed.",true
        if hs.IsOff("D1") then hs.execx10 "d1","on",0
        'hs.WaitEvents
        hs.execx10 "d1","on",0
        'hs.WaitEvents
        end if

' Speak Garage door two is open
        'if hs.IsOff("$44") and t="Garage Door 2 Open Speech" then
        if hs.plugin("HAI_System").ZoneStatus(21) = "Not Ready" and t="Garage Door 2 Open Speech" then
        hs.speak "Garage door two is open.",true
        'hs.WaitSecs(2)
        'hs.WaitEvents
        end if

End Sub
        Attached Files
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
        Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I love having things hard wired.
          Here is a link to another post I did a while back.
          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ghlight=weeder
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

Until recently I was using my AppDig Ocelot / SECU16 to both sense the open/close of the garage doors (via the SECU16 inputs) and control opener (via the SECU16 relay outputs). I was having some problems on the sensing side so switched to some DS10A's, but I figured out what was wrong on the SECU16 connection, so will be going back to it.

When I first started trying to control the garage doors with the SECU16 relays, I was warned that I should do something to protect the contacts of the relays. The idea is that there is just enough potential across the garage door switch that there would be some arcing that could eventually either fuse the contacts or cause them to no longer close reliably. I bought some MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors), which are placed across the contacts and are supposed to prevent a damaging surge.

Mostly due to laziness, I never put the MOVs in. It may be that the modern openers (both of mine are pretty new) use a relatively low voltage that isn't likely to cause a problem. Anyway, I've had the SECU16 controlling my my doors (auto open, manually close via manual events) for about five years now.

Steve
            Last edited by stevea; August 7, 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
              Until recently I was using my AppDig Ocelot / SECU16 to both sense the open/close of the garage doors (via the SECU16 inputs) and control opener (via the SECU16 relay outputs). I was having some problems on the sensing side so switched to some DS10A's, but I figured out what was wrong on the SECU16 connection, so will be going back to it.

When I first started trying to control the garage doors with the SECU16 relays, I was warned that I should do something to protect the contacts of the relays. The idea is that there is just enough potential across the garage door switch that there would be some arcing that could eventually either fuse the contacts or cause them to no longer close reliably. I bought some MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors), which are placed across the contacts and are supposed to prevent a damaging surge.

Mostly due to laziness, I never put the MOVs in. It may be that the modern openers (both of mine are pretty new) use a relatively low voltage that isn't likely to cause a problem. Anyway, I've had the SECU16 controlling my my doors (auto open, manually close via manual events) for about five years now.

Steve
              Thanks Steve

Hod do the SECU16's connect to HS? A plug-in?

Regards

mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
              USB UIRT
              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
              2GIG Thermostat
              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
              BLUPS
              UltraLog (SQL2008)
              Jon00 Plugins
              Global Cache IP2IR
              Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
                Thanks Steve

Hod do the SECU16's connect to HS? A plug-in?

Regards

mark
                The Ocelot interfaces to HS via the Ocelot plug-in (serial RS232 interface), and the Ocelot acts as a master device to the other AppDig devices. I have the SECU16 and the RLY8XA as slave devices. The Ocelot has a primitive programming language that supports automation, so you can do some stuff outside of HS to augment the rest of the system. Like several other folks, I have a watchdog running in the Ocelot that does a handshake with HS (via some I/O variables) every 10 minutes. If HS has completely hung, the ocelot will do a reset of the HS computer via another relay wired to the reset switch.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X