Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR Blaster

Hi

I have recently stumbled upon this website and very happy that I did. I have downloaded the trial version a few days ago and I'm already impressed. I will more than likely be buying the full version soon. I would like to try the IR functionality of the system first. Is there a downside to controlling multiple devices with and IR blaster as apposed to IR emitters on each. With emitters on each will HomeSeer be able to detect the status of each device. I'm assuming this would not be possible with a blaster.

Originally posted by freeon View Post
    I would like to try the IR functionality of the system first. Is there a downside to controlling multiple devices with and IR blaster as apposed to IR emitters on each. With emitters on each will HomeSeer be able to detect the status of each device. I'm assuming this would not be possible with a blaster.
    Welcome.

There are quite a few ways to implement IR control. The main downside to using an IR blaster in my opinion is that it needs to be visible to all the devices it controls. If something or someone gets in between at the wrong moment it doesn't work. Individual emitters, on the other hand, require that you be able to place one over the receiver on each controlled device, and have access to get the wiring into them, along with a connecting block and power supply.

HS can detect status of devices in a number of ways. The easiest - and least reliable - is to simply assume that HS is the only source of commands the device receives and that it accurately responds to every command HS sends. If you do not have multiple devices that use the same command set, then HS can keep track of status this way regardless of whether you are using a blaster or individual emitters.

Some devices have serial interfaces that allow both control and status feedback, but that is probably not the case with the devices you are describing. There are also ways to detect some status changes electronically: power usage increases when on, a video signal is detected or not, an LED illuminates, etc. HS can, in principle, use any of those signals too, although it may take some ingenuity and work to accomplish it.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
    X