Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat Logic....

I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around this:

We generally keep the house (1) cooler in the winter than in the summer. And (2) cooler at night than in the day. Frankly, I'm having trouble with the potential overlapping of the temperatures and the trigger that essentially decides between "we need heat," "we need A/C," and "just wait a couple of hours and it will heat up or cool off by itself."

Is this going to require HStouch and the weather service to gage the outside temperatures, or has somebody found something more creative?

I thought setting it to "Auto" and choosing a temperature would suffice, but it looks like I *must* declare either "Heat" or "Cool."

Anybdy have an idea?

PS
    Homeseer, if you are listening, searches on this matter yield broken links....
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
    2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

For complicated logic like that, you may want to consider using a script run by a recurring event. If you don't have a personal weather station you'll need to 'read' one of the weather services (Wbug, WorldWeather, etc.) and decipher the local conditions and forecast.

For example:
    My events run once per minute, one for winter heating, the other for late spring to mid-fall cooling. I don't use forecast data in my script (never thought of that and besides, it's not anywhere near 100% reliable), but I do read my PWS for existing outside conditions to make such decisions as running the window fans or the air conditioners.
    Rule 1: "If cooler outside than in and outside humidity is in the comfort range and inside temperature is above the TStat setpoint then run the fans",
    Rule 2: "If Rule 1 is false and all doors/windows are closed and inside temp plus one degree is below outside temp and inside temp is above setpoint then run the A/C",
    etc.
    Not only does this reduce the load on the A/C (power bill), it also keeps the indoor air fresher. Windows/doors open or closed are conditions within my scripts as there's no sense running the A/C if someone has opened a window. Home/Away, Awake/Sleeping and Day/Night are also in there to in addition control the thermostat setpoint.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
      For complicated logic like that, you may want to consider using a script run by a recurring event. If you don't have a personal weather station you'll need to 'read' one of the weather services (Wbug, WorldWeather, etc.) and decipher the local conditions and forecast.

For example:
      My events run once per minute, one for winter heating, the other for late spring to mid-fall cooling. I don't use forecast data in my script (never thought of that and besides, it's not anywhere near 100% reliable), but I do read my PWS for existing outside conditions to make such decisions as running the window fans or the air conditioners.
      Rule 1: "If cooler outside than in and outside humidity is in the comfort range and inside temperature is above the TStat setpoint then run the fans",
      Rule 2: "If Rule 1 is false and all doors/windows are closed and inside temp plus one degree is below outside temp and inside temp is above setpoint then run the A/C",
      etc.
      Not only does this reduce the load on the A/C (power bill), it also keeps the indoor air fresher. Windows/doors open or closed are conditions within my scripts as there's no sense running the A/C if someone has opened a window. Home/Away, Awake/Sleeping and Day/Night are also in there to in addition control the thermostat setpoint.
      Thanks.... any suggestions on what time of scripting to tackle and the best resource for learning?
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
      2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

Working...
      X