Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting started with Z-wave! What do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting started with Z-wave! What do I need to know?

I got my first package with Z-wave stuff! Now I'm just waiting for the electrician!

But! I'm sure there are some stuff that I absolutely should do and absolutely should not do. I have an Aeon Labs Z-stick 2 which seem to work fine.

I'm really looking forward to this! It should be fun.
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    I got my first package with Z-wave stuff! Now I'm just waiting for the electrician!

But! I'm sure there are some stuff that I absolutely should do and absolutely should not do. I have an Aeon Labs Z-stick 2 which seem to work fine.

Moskus,

Why would you need an electrician for your Z-wave installation ?

Frank

Comment

its fairly easy to work with however if you have a GE Jasco battery powered wallmount controller (http://store.homeseer.com/store/GE-4...-P939C189.aspx) it can only control the 1st 30 (maybe 32) devices. that means they need an id 1-30 to work.

i added my remotes at the very end for this reason

what gear did you buy?

Raptor
      HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
      https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by wienog View Post
        Why would you need an electrician for your Z-wave installation ?
        Because it is required by law...
        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
          its fairly easy to work with however if you have a GE Jasco battery powered wallmount controller (http://store.homeseer.com/store/GE-4...-P939C189.aspx) it can only control the 1st 30 (maybe 32) devices. that means they need an id 1-30 to work.

i added my remotes at the very end for this reason

what gear did you buy?

Raptor
          It's a good tip, but I can't get it. Z-wave in Europe uses a different frequency than Z-wave in the US.

Comment

It's a good tip, but I can't get it. Z-wave in Europe uses a different frequency than Z-wave in the US.
            my bad forgot to check your location.

what gear did you buy?
            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Comment

zwave is great, it just works. its a far cry from z10.

a few things i found when setting my stuff up last month.

make sure each item is FULLY added, easy for light switches but more complex devices like motion sensors and door locks can be a little more tricky.

do one at a time then rename the device in homeseer so you know which is which, they intally just come up as NODE xxx

pay attention to the polling option under the advanced tabs for the devices, you can st how often HS asks each device its status, some devices set themselves very low, like every 10 seconds, this puts a LOAD of traffic on the network and can cause divices to time out, set to something liek every 5 mins or a time you are comfortable with , you can even turn it off if you dotn want an update.

once you have all the devices addeed, do a FULL optimization from the hs zwave screen, this lets each device find all its routs to get its signal back to the HS computer. only do this once you have all your devices set up

all in all im very happy with zwave, i have about 35 devices and its working great
                detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Working...
                X