Ubiquiti Aircam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubiquiti Aircam

Has anyone tried to use any of the Ubiquiti cameras? I'm particularly curious about how the indoor/outdoor bullet cameras perform.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

I've been "testing" it now a few months. Read some under the DIY post. Its is a no frills HD camera. Its inexpensive and the "first" HD camera provided by Ubiquito (the wireless folks). I tried to update the lens to a wider lens but the UV filter is attached to the back of the original lens and the colors look way off without the filter. The other testing IP camera has a wider lens, more features but no IP66 case.

It is now my "official" weather cam as it was easy to install using POE. Its very light; such that the wind will shutter it a bit sometimes. It has weathered fine with 70MPH winds in a storm with direct exposure to the wind and rain and has not had any water inside of it. That said my non IP-66 test camera did get wet and needed to dry up a bit before it became functional again. BUT; it worked after and didn't get shorted out. I did probably though fry some rabbits teeth as a few months back the POE cable was chewed up and there were scorch marks on it. We had a bumper crop of rabbits around; they ate many of the plants around the house and they ate non edible stuff like cables laying under the deck. They haven't learn to climb trees or posts yet (maybe sometime during their evolutionary scale they will).

Here is an updated every 5 minutes view of the IP camera. It could utilize a bit fine tweaking in the focus; very difficult to do though; especially now up like 20 something feet under my eave (tried a ground level to get best focus though).

HD - crispy

http://lockport2.golffan.us/

SD - regular

Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; August 18, 2012, 01:27 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      I've been "testing" it now a few months. . . . I tried to update the lens to a wider lens but the UV filter is attached to the back of the original lens and the colors look way off without the filter. . . .It is now my "official" weather cam as it was easy to install using POE. Its very light; such that the wind will shutter it a bit sometimes. It has weathered fine with 70MPH winds in a storm with direct exposure to the wind and rain and has not had any water inside of it.
      Thanks Pete. That's encouraging.

Would a replacement lens with its own IR cut filter work?
      How long a run of cat5/6 will it tolerate before voltage drop is an issue?
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I couldn't find a lens replacement with the IR cut filter. It was though glued on and I probably could have used a razor blade to take it off and glue it on the new lens. Additionally there was a spring to keep the original lens in place. The new lens had a longer barrel such that to use the spring you would have to cut it in half. I have runs using analog baluns (with video and power) going to just under three hundred feet and actually these runs do better than the RG6 runs with the power cable. Right now the weather camera above cat5E wire goes into the eave; then attic down the middle of teh attic ceiling to my center of the house chase; two floors down into the basement then to the side wall mounted patch panel. Three outside cams totally exposed to the weather all have more than 100 feet runs (just the outside pieces and not the inside runs). No issues with voltage drop. I did have issues with the older analog cameras with heaters etc in them way back a few years ago.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Got a question... this camera does not have any LEDs on it... does that mean it cannot be used for security (aka, at night)? Seems a major miss, no?

-BD

Comment

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
            Got a question... this camera does not have any LEDs on it... does that mean it cannot be used for security (aka, at night)? Seems a major miss, no?

-BD
            That's right this camera would need light to work at night and even then wouldn't work very well for security if you need to ID someone or something. You would need to spend a lot more money to get a high quality camera for true security usage. The old adage you get what you pay for holds true for cameras.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Yea; its very basic no frills camera. Its their intro into the HD camera market.

Its just $100 though. But then again its difficult to get much distance outside with an LED camera. Here's a night shot of my other IP camera ($127). I like to watch when the bugs fly in front of it at night. The IR illumination isn't too bad. The trees you see are about 75 feet or so away. This one would work for security; its about 4 times as large though as the Ubiquito. The LED illumination glows at night similiarly to the Foscam illumination. The spotlight looking thing is another camera with IR illumination.

The second picture is the view from it. This camera is a $50 analog camera with IR illumination. It looks better during the day. The bright light you see to the left is the first IP camera mentioned. Its really not bad though for a night view considering the price. Gives the back yard a bit ghostly look to it.

Third picture is the deck camera with no LED illumination. Ambient lighting does OK with it. This one originally was a $400 combo camera. I have swapped out the camera board for a better board in the last couple of years.

BTW the $127 HD IP camera at 10-15 feet would have no issues ID'ing a person in the total dark.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pete; August 19, 2012, 07:29 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
              X