No announcement yet.

Doorbell with camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, I've taken apart the doorbell, and unfortunately they took the easy way out. There's about an inch and a half of Cat5e sticking out of a hole in the cement block. They also mortared the cable in so I have little hope of moving or extending it. No conduit anywhere in the house except for a couple of PVC pipes I had the builder run for future wiring in the upstairs bonus room.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

They used conduit for the garage coach lights, front door overhead lamp, sprinkler wires, here and there.

It made sense to me during construction but at the time all I cared about was the LV interior wiring so didn't pay that much attention. I didn't use any conduit for my LV wires and didn't add enough chases inside of the house. I do have audio cables running to every room, multiple Cat5e and multiple RG6. The alarm wiring was done by an alarm company. They wired every door and window, for PIRs and keyboards which did help me with the HAI OPII panel installation a few years back.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I tried my best to get the builder to use conduit, but they refused. I supervised the entire electrical installation though, and even made them re-run some of the Cat5e that wasn't done properly. Some of it was either stapled in place or run parallel to AC power. Since I couldn't have conduit or do the work myself, I made sure they at least didn't do anything that would harm the cable or signal too much. Kills me though after years of doing professional commercial installations to see how the residential contractors handle it.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Same issues here....

I probably know the top of our UPS guy's head better than he does.... The camera above the door scenario just doesn't work well at identifying people we don't know. Currently trying (as of Saturday) a camera attached to a palm tree in front of the front door facing the door. So far I have a GREAT picture of the back of the mail lady. Need to work on the timing of the pictures......

I am a little bit nervous about doing POE outside, but if the experiment works, I might just try a POE switch to a wireless AP all kept outside in a box and communitate to the main network wirelessly. We'lll see.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
            The current doorbell is on the wall to the left of the door perpendicular to the door, so it would get a shot of the person's left side if they face the door. It's also mounted in stucco covered concrete block, so putting a gang box in would be difficult.
            If you COULD get a camera in there, I bet it would work. You could use a motion detector to start taking a series of pictures and I bet the person will eventually look towards the doorbell button.

Comment

Pete, you always have these nice pictures of your projects. I should take more pictures and get the dslr out a bit more often. I never think to do it in the heat of a project.

Comment

Thank-you Automated.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Channel Vision makes some Doorbell/Camera combos. I don't own one myself but they're typical analog cameras with a doorbell. I'm still searching for a network camera & doorbell combo. The only thing that meets that criteria is the Mobotix T24, but they're quite expensive.

Comment

mobotix t24i

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                    ..... I'm still searching for a network camera & doorbell combo. The only thing that meets that criteria is the Mobotix T24, but they're quite expensive.
                    I sprung for a T24 Mobotix packaged with the Mobotix Mx2wire option. The combination lets me connect Ethernet cable from a PoE port on a network switch to one Mx2wire module which feeds DC and 2-way Ethrrnet down 2-conductor doorbell wire to the T24. Yes, doorbell wire, the ubiquitous red/ white solid single pair lightly-twisted wire used in millions of homes before Cat5 or even telco "D" station wire came about.
                    T24 is a fabulous device...360 degree vision with internal de-warping, built in VoIp, etc.
                    Freaked out my daughter: she enters her door unlock code into Z-wave Schlage, homeseer sends a command to the T24 to play a canned welcome home message through the T24 speaker.
                    T24 has a Doorbell button, pressing it sends an Ip notification message to Homeseer which in turn runs an event which closes a relay to ring the doorbell.

The T24 supports email transfers, so pressing the doorbell emails a video clip starting 10 seconds before and 10 seconds after pressing the button.

T24 also has very good motion detection. draw an area of interest, set thresholds and filters, then the T24 messages Homeseer to trigger events when motion is detected.

Really like the thing so far!
                    //Mark

Comment

Hey Mark, Thanks a lot for the nice short review. I have been itching to pull the trigger on a T24, and now I might just do it. Where did you source it from, or rather, did you have any difficulties picking the right accessories to get everything working? I had read one review about it critical of the ordering process, to get it right that you get all pieces needed. It appears straightforward to me. <Edit>It looks like one can easily see what is needed using the "T24 Configurator" on the Mobotix web site.</Edit>

Also, have you played with the microphone/sip type features other than the canned message you have it play?

Does it support multiple stream configurations, like a full 3 megapixel one to save to a network storage device, but a simultaneous downscaled one so we can use it for hstouch? I use my Axis cameras that way.

Do you have it in color or black and white? How is it? Will you post us a few frames from it at various light levels?

I had earlier thought it was only available in white or silver, but upon further research it appears to be available also in black, dark gray, and amber, whatever that is supposed to look like (as the picture did not look like what color I would consider amber but anyway).
                      Last edited by Automated; August 31, 2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X