Newbie - What will HomeSeer do for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie - What will HomeSeer do for me?

I've been thinking of automating my future retirement home (which I will custom build) for a long time. I had been looking at using an HAI controller, but I was disappointed to learn that they only allow dealers to program their controllers. I don't want to have to call a dealer (or pay them) every time I want to make a change or add a device to my system. I'm just starting to explore HomeSeer and I see that it has an HAI plugin. Does this allow full control of the HAI controller via the HS software?

If HAI would allow individuals to program their controllers, why would I want/need a HomeSeer controller? What are the advantages?

Maybe I will learn that I don't need the HAI controller to do what I want if I use HomeSeer.

only allow dealers to program their controllers.
    I installed an HAI OPII in my house in the MW and Florida in addition to the neighbors house in Florida. That said I programmed all of them.

The above noted I have two HS boxes running right now in conjunction with the OP2's.

The HAI HS Plugin is old and functions just fine for me. I can see my zones, control my units (X10, UPB and Z-Wave), Russound and Omnitstat. Timing sometimes is delayed but it works. The HS Software compliments the HAI Hardware and vice versa. (bit overengineered though).

The above noted and typically an alarm company will typically guarantee their installation and will not let you program your device. Typically its the life saftey stuff autonomous from the HVAC / lighting stuff. Its mostly up to the installer though. The HAI OPII is an alarm panel first on steroids with automation added to it.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You should consider a more affordable security system like the DSC and interface this with HomeSeer and use the money saved to purchase a few automated locks , switches, thermostats, sprinkler control, etc.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        The HAI HS Plugin is old and functions just fine for me. I can see my zones, control my units (X10, UPB and Z-Wave), Russound and Omnitstat. Timing sometimes is delayed but it works. The HS Software compliments the HAI Hardware and vice versa. (bit overengineered though).

The above noted and typically an alarm company will typically guarantee their installation and will not let you program your device. Typically its the life saftey stuff autonomous from the HVAC / lighting stuff. Its mostly up to the installer though. The HAI OPII is an alarm panel first on steroids with automation added to it.
        Thanks Pete - Just to be sure I understand, you programmed the HAI system via the HS interface. Is that correct?

What you are saying about companies guaranteeing their installs makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          You should consider a more affordable security system like the DSC and interface this with HomeSeer and use the money saved to purchase a few automated locks , switches, thermostats, sprinkler control, etc.
          Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at the DSC product line. I've got plenty of time to before I get started. I'm all for saving money.

Comment

I believe you can purchase an HAI system as a 'dealer' with little trouble, though I've not done it. I'm guessing that's what Pete did. Worthington Distribution is one source that may be able to help.

That said, and as someone who did something similar with Stargate, if you are really interested in HA as a hobby, Homeseer is far more capable and adaptable than anything HAI has to offer. In addition, HS comes with a terrific user community that you will find nowhere else.

One of the problems with HA as a hobby is that it grows on you. It is nearly impossible to specify what you will want your HA system to do in the future. Although you may have limited objectives initially, there is no telling when a new capability will catch your attention. And, while there is no guarantee that HS will allow you to do anything you want, it is definitely the case that HS is more likely to offer a solution than any other system available today.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              Homeseer is far more capable and adaptable than anything HAI has to offer. In addition, HS comes with a terrific user community that you will find nowhere else.
              I appreciate all the feedback. I'll be taking a close look at the HS units, what they can do, and what I can interface with them. Fortunately, I'm in no rush, but I want to get started.

Comment

I presume you are aware that you can download and try HS free for 30 days. All you need is a reasonably capable PC (a core2duo running WinXP works fine) and some tasks you want to try out.

It isn't really fair to call it a free trial, of course, because you will also need some real world hardware and some serious time to spend climbing the learning curve. But once you have some specific ideas for things you'd like to have your HA system accomplish, I strongly recommend you give HS a try.

And by all means, come back to this board with more questions. The more specific and focused you can make your questions the more likely you are to get useful responses.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  I presume you are aware that you can download and try HS free for 30 days.
                  No I wasn't aware of that.

Here are a few more details about my situation. I just got back from a one year assignment in Baghdad and I've been in the DC area for about two months taking some training before I head to Egypt for a three year assignment. Once that assignment is over I'll be about two to four years away from retirement. As soon as I retire I hope to be ready to begin construction on my house. I bought the lot (in Georgia) just before going to Iraq. So, I won't be ready to begin my HA project install for another five to seven years. I would consider purchasing a HS system now to tinker with it and play around to learn, but I've got a feeling that they will come out with newer stuff by the time I'm ready for it. In the mean time, I'm here to learn. Also, I am very familiar with high security alarm systems, but I can't go into the details here.

I took a quick look at the ELK products. What are the advantages of interfacing it with the HS? One of the things I would like to be able to do is use PIR activations to control certain events, and not just have them dedicated to security.

Comment

The elk can do this as well as the DSC systems and many other much more affordable security systems.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                    X