Surveillance DVR plus Homeseer Pro on one i3 machine, good or bad idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surveillance DVR plus Homeseer Pro on one i3 machine, good or bad idea

Right now I am running two seperate machines. Was thinking of integrating both into a single i3 with 8M of RAM, windows 7 and SSD drive.

Is it a bad idea to run them together?

thanks

my opinion... no it isnt..
    others will disagree..

im running windows home server 2003, cctv (1 camera), file share, HS standard and a few other things on my machine.. and it is only a quad core xeon 2.4ghz with 4gb ram.

im however going to go to 2 machines and separate out my cctv from my whs only because i want to upgrade to whs 2011.. i just havent done it yet because i dont really want to bother tearing down everything...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by mpovolo View Post
      Right now I am running two separate machines. Was thinking of integrating both into a single i3 with 8M of RAM, windows 7 and SSD drive.

Is it a bad idea to run them together?

thanks
      Your best bet is to try it and see how the hardware performs.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

DVR surveillance with motion detection is going to really eat up the CPU. You might be ok with just plain surveillance, but when you throw motion detection in there, it is going to be aggressive on the CPU side...
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Your best bet is to try it and see how the hardware performs.
          I'd normally vote with Rupp on this one, but in this case I think the odds are strongly against it, even if a trial run looks ok initially. Having something as demanding a video on your HS box is just asking for an incident that takes down HS at an inopportune time.

I'd recommend a low power PC (cor2duo or dual core atom) for HS and at least a quad core for serious video analysis.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I personally wouldn't want to run an i3 for even HS2 alone.
            It reminds me of the modern equivalent of a Celeron.

~Bill

Comment

thanks everyone. Made my life easier by not needing to redo everything :-)

Comment

I'd either split it up of beef it up. I'm running HSPro, 10 camera feeds backed by BlueIris, a DLNA media server and 30TB of files shares on an i7 2.8 ghz with 8GB ram. Normal CPU load was around 30%, but it started breathing pretty heavy (>75% CPU) when I started twiddling with motion on more than just a few cameras.

Good Luck.

- Jim -
                My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I run everything separate. Standalone DVR for video surveillance, PC for HS/zoned audio and another PC for HTPC. Both PC's are fairly beefy.

I'm more comfortable having everything run independently.

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetBoySI View Post
                    I run everything separate. Standalone DVR for video surveillance, PC for HS/zoned audio and another PC for HTPC. Both PC's are fairly beefy.

I'm more comfortable having everything run independently.
                    Same here, except for I have 1 standalone DVR and 1 PC for the rest. They say though that some up-to-date cctv software are not that hungry for CPU even when motion detection is implied as they're optimized for work in such cnditions (so they say). Can this be true?

I guess I will post my report once I try something of this kind. May be an interesting challenge

Comment

Working...
                    X