Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skills needed

Hello,
    I am embarking into the world of automation. I have installed approximately 5 upb switches, two upb contact closures and 1 upb lamp module. I have been able to create some scenes and program the scenes into the upb light switches using upstart. So now I am looking into more advanced automation. My goals:
    1. Install a security system (a few wired and mostly wireless type sensors).
    2. Install a couple security cameras.
    3. Automate my garage doors and exterior door locks.
    4. Create a touch screen interface. I recently finished a home theater and have automated some functions using Irule and global cache devices.

I have good hardware skills (building computers and servers). I can pull wire when possible. I have installed quite a bit of ir.

Scripting/programming- is very limited. I don't mind reading beginning programming books but I don't know how good of a programmer I will turn into.

So I am looking into advice with my skill set should I consider Homeseer?

Thanks for taking your time advising me.
    Bill

Sounds like you have the hard stuff covered which is the integration of the hardware. The software side is easier as most of the things you mentioned can be accomplished using out of the box plugins that are available via HomeSeer. The cameras can be one of the more challenging issues depending on how you want to interface them to HomeSeer.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I appreciate the quick response. The thoughts entering into homeseer is to:

1. Utilize an Ipad/Droid tablet as a touchscreen interface. The irule builder has been pretty straight forward. Does it take programming skills to create an HStouch interface?
      2. The cameras that I would pick would definitely be ip type and the cameras that homeseer lists as compatible. I liked when people were viewing their cameras in the hstouch interface. Will that require advanced programming skills to accomplish?
      3. A third say idea of mine is this: Place some type of RFID (or whatever is best) on my wifes vehicle. When she pulls into the driveway it would trigger a scene that would open the garage door, unlock the lock and turn on certain lights.
      4. Security System. I sway towards Elk M1 or hai but I don't know how much programming it takes to work with either of these security systems. Does Homeseer interface well and make things more point and click? I have also considered DSC which is sold on homeseer. I have no problem learning software to make things work but it is a whole different story when it comes to writing code.
      5. I want to automate my irrigation/sprinkler system. This won't happen all at once but will be a goal down the road.
      6. I will add some type of thermostat into the equation to control and check using hstouch.

Thanks
      Bill

Without being much of a programmer are my goals unrealistic?

Comment

Originally posted by hunter69 View Post
        I appreciate the quick response. The thoughts entering into HomeSeer is to:

1. Utilize an IPad/Droid tablet as a touchscreen interface. The irule builder has been pretty straight forward. Does it take programming skills to create an HSTouch interface?
        It's a drag and drop interface for the most part. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's easy to create basic screens.

2. The cameras that I would pick would definitely be ip type and the cameras that HomeSeer lists as compatible. I liked when people were viewing their cameras in the HSTouch interface. Will that require advanced programming skills to accomplish?No and it's event easier if you use the ipCameras that HomeSeer sells as they have an HSTouch template on the camera page that you can use for the pan and tilt operations.

3. A third say idea of mine is this: Place some type of RFID (or whatever is best) on my wifes vehicle. When she pulls into the driveway it would trigger a scene that would open the garage door, unlock the lock and turn on certain lights.This is possible an can be accomplished in various ways. The RFID chips are hit and miss because they drop out from time to time. This topic has been discussed many times and several solutions have been posted. You may want to post this as a separate topic and see what the general consensus is on the best way to accomplish this.

4. Security System. I sway towards Elk M1 or hai but I don't know how much programming it takes to work with either of these security systems. Does HomeSeer interface well and make things more point and click? I have also considered DSC which is sold on HomeSeer. I have no problem learning software to make things work but it is a whole different story when it comes to writing code.There are plugins for all the these systems. The Elk and HAI are more expensive and duplicate some of the features that HS offers so you may want to opt for the DSC which will save a lot of money you can use on other projects.

5. I want to automate my irrigation/sprinkler system. This won't happen all at once but will be a goal down the road. There are several out of the box solutions available for this

6. I will add some type of thermostat into the equation to control and check using HSTouch.This is available in HomeSeer as well. HomeSeer supports several thermostat protocols like Z-Wave, Insteon, WIFI, Serial, and X10.

Thanks
        Bill

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Welcome to Homeseer. Your goals are quite realistic. As Pete says, "baby steps". Break the goals down into manageable pieces and work on them over time. It's not critical to get the perfect solution initially. You'll learn as you go and technology will change, so expect to revisit both your goals and your initial solutions over time.

Programming in HS can be quite powerful, but you do not have to be a 'programmer' to get HS to do some pretty amazing things. As Rupp noted, many of your objectives can be addressed by existing products and/or plug-ins. And, as you become more experienced you will probably find that you can build on basic programming to expand your ability as your needs dictate.

In any case, you will find the people on this board are both extremely knowledgeable about a wide variety of areas, and very generous with their help and assistance. I find it a terrific community and a great learning experience.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

... My goals:
            1. Install a security system (a few wired and mostly wireless type sensors).
            2. Install a couple security cameras.
            3. Automate my garage doors and exterior door locks.
            4. Create a touch screen interface. I recently finished a home theater and have automated some functions using Irule and global cache devices.

So I am looking into advice with my skill set should I consider Homeseer?

Thanks for taking your time advising me.
            Bill
            Welcome to the Homeseer Comunity!

As Pete and Uncle Michael have said, baby steps one project at a time.

But to answer you question regarding your skill set. Abosutly, HomeSeer is your answer. You can do all of your list without programming. And if you do need a script ot two, someone here will definetly help you out. I am a programmer and don't want to program in my spare time, so this was the answer for me. There is alot to choose from in the way of plugins. I would recomend going with HS-Pro, most of the basic plugins are free then.

Good luck!
            -Skybolt

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies. I am considering the hspro but am looking for direction for hardware. It seems to me that serial ports seem important for HA. USB to Serial does not always work. I tried to use one with my web mountain UPB and upstart did not like it. So I am looking for guidance from your guys experience building a homeseer server. I know computers very well but you guys are the HA experts and what is needed. I currently have a Intel I3 2100 with 16 gigs of ram and a 60 gig ssd drive. I have not purchased a mobo due to the issues listed above. Got any suggestions? I don't have to use the above hardware I was just collecting some hardware to build a somewhat powerful (low power consumption) computer. I would definitely like to design/build a small, low power, versatile, responsive homeseer server.

I was looking at some mini itx mobos. Any suggestions?

Thanks
              Bill
              Last edited by hunter69; September 11, 2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

This thread may be of interest.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Bill, hardware support is very important, since you will have numerous interfaces that could include Z-Wave, Insteon, UPB, X10, Irrigation, and others. Over the past several years I've moved from a dedicated HS machine with native interfaces to virtual with IP-based gear. You can find Digi PortServers for serial and Belkin F5L009 USB on eBay for very little money. Since you're interested in irrigation, I should tell you that I have NOT had any success making a Rain8Net work with my Digi PortServers. They needed a real serial port or a USB-Serial dongle to work. I've since switched to OpenSprinkler which is Ethernet based, and I've written a free plugin to support it.
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I am very interested in esxi virtualization. I currently have a sagetv server (on whs) and an unraid server. I have read that both of these types of servers have been virtualized using esxi. I looked at the 4 port digiport servers on ebay (refurbished) for $80. I am not a big fan of refurbished but I would certainly consider it. I have enough ram I think but I would need to pick a good processor and mobo for this type of setup. The sagetv server is a hd dvr utilizing the colossus tv capture cards (pci express). My unraid server currently has 6 drives (sata). It doesn't sound like HS is real demanding for processor and ram. I would want to virtualize Sagetv under windows 7 64. It would be interesting to hear suggestions for an esxi server.

Comment

... I currently have a Intel I3 2100 with 16 gigs of ram and a 60 gig ssd drive. I have not purchased a mobo due to the issues listed above. Got any suggestions? I don't have to use the above hardware I was just collecting some hardware to build a somewhat powerful (low power consumption) computer. I would definitely like to design/build a small, low power, versatile, responsive homeseer server.

I was looking at some mini itx mobos. Any suggestions?

Thanks
                      Bill
                      For what is worth I am runnig a Foxcon (bare bones) form Newegg w/Atom 525 processor w/4gb ram, it uses an SSD with the swapfile turned off, and it is awesome. Your i3 may be over kill, you might want to save it for another project. JMO. This cost next to nothing to set up ~$250.

Virtualization is another story. I also run Sage but not in a VM. I looked into puttig HS in a VM (MS Hyper-V) and it's just too costly to do so, not enough return for the money laid out. ESXi may be differant as it support PCi/USB pass through.

I currently run 2008 R2 w/Hyoer-V and have a few VM runnung. 7MC is one which works real well with an HDHR Prime tunner(s).
                      -Skybolt

Comment

I am very interested in esxi virtualization. I currently have a sagetv server (on whs) and an unraid server. I have read that both of these types of servers have been virtualized using esxi. I looked at the 4 port digiport servers on ebay (refurbished) for $80. I am not a big fan of refurbished but I would certainly consider it. I have enough ram I think but I would need to pick a good processor and mobo for this type of setup. The sagetv server is a hd dvr utilizing the colossus tv capture cards (pci express). My unraid server currently has 6 drives (sata). It doesn't sound like HS is real demanding for processor and ram. I would want to virtualize Sagetv under windows 7 64. It would be interesting to hear suggestions for an esxi server.
                        The biggest caveat with virtualization and with ESXi in particular is hardware support. ESXi has very limited RAID controller support, so make sure you check the hardware compatibility list for your hardware.

If you are planning on using your Colossus inside a virtual machine, you have to make sure the motherboard chipset supports VT-d (Intel) or IOMMU (AMD). That's what enables you to do I/O passthrough.

Here's a good article on IO Passthrough with ESXi.
                        http://www.petri.co.il/vmware-esxi4-vmdirectpath.htm
                        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
                        X