migration from X10 to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

migration from X10 to ???

I have been using X10 technology for over 20 years and HS for almost 10 and X10 seems to be getting tired.

We have a larger facility that needs a technology that is robust and can handle the distances between devices.

We use intelligent switches, plugs, thermostats, bells, announcers, sensors and some other devices that we need to migrate.

This will not be inexpensive .. but we hope we do not need to do a "heart-lung" transplant but can do this evolutionary . not revolutionary.

Has anyone else had experience that would help in making a decision of what to move to next .. if so can you please help us ..

tanx.. Don

I'm gradually moving from X10 to UPB. It's been working out well so far, and UPB is much faster. If you haven't already, you could also look into the XTB-IIR as a way to increase the performance of your current X10. It made a very big difference in my house and has reduced the urgency of changing over.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I have been undergoing the technology switch on a house from X10 to Insteon for your reasons and here is why

Insteon
      • operates a sensitivity 1/10 (10 times better) than x10
      • is a 2 way, self policing protocol
      • is a power line and RF solution at the same time (not all devices are RF, not all devices are powerline, point is you can solve unique signal problems as you need to)
      • is a distributed technology; while HS adds its normal capabilities, Insteon can be programmed to operate if the Server and server interface are dead
      • can be configured as x10 and insteon at the same time, allowing you migrate at your pace
      • Just about all devices come from one manufacturer so brand / brand performance confusion is not an issue
      I use the Mark Sandler plugin and recommend it, at the same time the ISY might be good for you given your larger facility comments.
      Paul

Comment

I completed my migration from x10 and some basic zwave to UPB, haven't looked back yet!
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Working...
        X