No announcement yet.

Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITS THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!!! 33 days left to get ready! Let's see what everyone is doing!

Today I am combing through the attic to find Halloween stuff we haven't used in two years.

Comment

For the VERY FIRST TIME EVER, we had exactly the right amount of candy! I mean EXACTLY. (There was one M&M escapee in the bottom of the caldron...)

HomeSeer content: When it was over, I 5-tapped the front porch light and all Halloween effects and sounds turned off and all the porch lights changed from UV purple to warm white.

Comment

awesome!
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
          For the VERY FIRST TIME EVER, we had exactly the right amount of candy! I mean EXACTLY. (There was one M&M escapee in the bottom of the caldron...)
          Non-HS related, but I've been witnessing a trend in my part of the world (well populated NY suburb) and friends from other regions have agreed: Halloween is officially dead (at least in my neighborhood). There was an understandable total drop-off of Trick or Treaters during the pandemic, but as we came out of it some kids started to show up. But last year was next to nothing. This year? Maybe 5 kids. And many walked right past our door, despite having decorations up in the windows. We theorized that they don't even bother knocking anymore and simply look for a bowl of candy outside the front door (a habit left over from the pandemic to avoid contact). Looks like I've got two bags of fun sized candy to polish off...

Comment

In our area, Trunk or Treat seems to have taken over. Families go to a large parking lot and do their thing. Not a lot of sidewalks here (Minneapolis suburbs) so it's better than kids walking in the streets. Also the neighborhood is changing, not many kids anyway.

Comment

I just heard about Trunk or Treat... man, where's the fun in that?
              We has 25 - the most in years. The kids were polite and grateful. Great fun...
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I am 30 minutes outside Baltimore, MD and we had a good crowd. It did stop earlier than usual, but it was also colder than usual. We had a fire pit in the drive and the kids were no different than pre-pandemic. Many parents took the opportunity to get a little heat and many asked about the permanent LEDs on the house (12mm pixels run by 2 D1 Minis running WLED) or how other things were done. At other houses they did knock/ring the bell. I would say that around here, it was comparable to before COVID.
                Attached Files
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                  I just heard about Trunk or Treat... man, where's the fun in that?
                  Exactly. As my wife related to me, she hates the idea of just leaving the candy outside for them to grab as they please because she enjoys seeing the kids at the door in their costumes and the creativity involved.

Comment

There were Trunk Or Treat events here before covid. The couple I attended just replaced houses with vehicles. Most people decorated their cars/trucks/etc. and the area around them. Many had some really great decorations. Including a mini haunted house in the back of a pickup. It was not just cars with bowls of candy.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                    X