Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    Ugh, I've always wanted to do some automation for Halloween and especially Christmas. Last year I did an ATMOSFX setup, and got rave reviews. My fog machine sucks; I should really upgrade to something better.
    I'm on my 5th fog machine...… Not sure there is a better one. Certainly not from a Halloween store or a big box store. I bought my last one at Guitar Center. It's a DJ version with DMX control. I don't have a DMX controller so I got it for the output. It puts out a LOT of fog, but not much more than the one I bought for 1l3rd the price three years ago. If this one lasts more than two years, it will have proven itself.

Comment

Originally posted by pcburcham View Post

Both are cool, but there's something about that UV. Really ominous look to it. Me likes it.
      Thanks, I appreciate the input. I think I am leaning towards the UV, too. They are LIFX bulbs so it's easy to change it,

Comment

A very well done setup (unfortunately not mine)
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uANjW0bEhIc
        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
          A very well done setup (unfortunately not mine)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uANjW0bEhIc
          Wow! That sure would make set up a lot easier! Really Cool!

Comment

so my setup is done via sunrise..sunset.. x10 outlets...

im on my phone and pics too big. will get on share site tmorrow. ive got graveyard done. added lights.

my fog machine i got at a yard sale came with ton of other stuff...
            "The Fog Machine" has a manual switch... no timer. after halloween.. ill be at spirit of halloween for 50% off.. will buy a timer...smoke and maybe few more fog machines...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I saw some 2016 posts about chilling fog and these latest fog machine posts but didn't see anyone who had the answer to how to chill the fog so it stays on the ground. I have a large tub with an opening at each end for the dog to go in and out. I put ice inside and put dry ice on top of that. The ice just insulates the walls from the dry ice since it isn't a cooler. On the output side I have a plastic bag that lasts flat so the fog coming out is slowed down. This all ends up in the bed of my pickup truck with the tailgate removed. The fog the falls to the ground.

I'm using a Chauvet 1200 watt fog machine which works well provided I keep the fogger area warm on a cold night.

I apologise if I missed the suggestion of dry ice.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

We do a display on a 1' deep kitchen counter. I decided to add LED "spot lights," 3 LED lamp posts (from a model railroad supplier), and there are 3 jack-o'-lantern units which have different flame colored LEDs which randomly flicker to look like candlelight via the controller. All are controlled by an Arduino and each of those 3 light sets can be turned on/off independently, or all at one time via a web interface. I need to change that to MQTT. Either way, HomeSeer controls them and is set up for voice in the Google Home units as well. There is also a push button on the front left. When pressed once it turns on the lamp posts. A second press turns on the jack-o'-lanterns, and a third turns on the spot lights. Each is just added to the last so the button is not as flexible. A fourth or turns them all off.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191014_210727.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1333043

The tall guy in the photo is one of the jack-o'-lanterns. The other two, and a couple other minor items, are of the picture to the right.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events

Comment

If you have DIY skills, then look at a commercial dry-ice supplier that sells to consumers, such as Continental Carbonic. Dry ice usually goes for $2/lb with them, but less at larger quantities, and then buy a large styrofoam box full of pellet dry-ice (box is usually provided for free or at small fee). Then use like an old children's toy mini conveyor belt (Brunns/Mechanix/LEGO/etc.) automated with a stepper-motor Arduino to push the dry-ice pellets out of the styrofoam box at a rate of about one per minute and drop them into a source of hot water.

This results in heavy fog with a very low-hanging density that can be adjusted based on how often the pellets drop into the water, and the temperature of said water. Depending on size of box, size of pellets, and rate of usage a $20 box worth of dry-ice should last all night.

Fog machine might be easier, but not necessarily cheaper (they break easy and fog liquid is usually required), and part of Halloween is the DIY fun if you have the time for it

PS: Wear gloves obviously when handling dry-ice to avoid freezer burn at -100F, and since dry-ice releases a ton of CO2 when evaporating be sure to never let kids or pets inhale too much by being around the fog at nose level.

Comment

The problem, though, RoChess, is the amount of hot water you would need. Otherwise you need to be heating the water as well. I know how I would do that part, but we can leave that to the maker to figure out what works best for them.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by sdanks View Post
                      Attached is what we did this year.
                      Next year, I need to add better black lights to make the frame glow. It worked if I moved the black light florescent bulb closer to the frame.
                      Also I need to add more lights to the wall or put some spots on the wall. We had all the lights off, so it was really too dark.
                      I made these pictures with the porch light on, but during the performance they were off.
                      My daughter dressed up as a vampire and stood out front and introduced me by saying,
                      Mirror Mirror on the wall, speak now or not at all....
                      Then I made the mask appear and I said, "Who dares to wake me from my slumber?"
                      Then my daughter would say, "But sir mask, we have visitors."
                      The mask puppet can smile so I made it smile and I said, "OH! trick or treaters have come to see me?"
                      Then my daughter would say, "No I think they are here for the candy."
                      I would frown and say something about how lonely I was in the mirror all day. I had some jokes and witty things I got off the internet.
                      But mostly, the kids would just stand there with their mouths open.
                      We had probably over 100 kids visit last night. I guess word got out.
                      The puppet was from imagineerieing.com They have several models all reasonably priced.

I had to setup a mic I could talk into, with a 10 watt Elk amp running a speaker on the porch.
                      And then I needed a hearing device to hear the kids, and I used a security camera attached to my TV for the viewing.
                      Next year I will try to integrate it all into the wall so I dont have wires going all over the place behind the door.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain . . . . . "

I had a great time.

the level you did here in 2012!!!! have you expanded it or redone it or what?!?!?!!?!?

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

ours is lame this year... very minor...

[QUOTE="JesterJeff, post: 2542242, member: 130917"]

got my cemetary up and ive never added lights.

not bad. likin it... quickly setup..

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

which atmos?
                          I got a ton of them.. just setup a pc connected to a small 32" tv that will go in upper bedroom window... gonna move 46" and pc on Halloween night...and I got a projector I need to setup/test for downstairs...
                          Sorry for the delay, but I got "Boneheads and Numskulls" for free last year. Bought cheap little projector that isn't worth the $50 (or whatever)I paid for it. I just shined it on my blinds, and it worked really well.

I only did it on Halloween night, not part of my regular display which is just my LIFX lights and some lights on the bushes.

Comment

Well its two days before the big night. We have an 80% chance of rain all day. That sucks. Rain will kill 50% of my lights and decorations. I went big and prepared for everything. If it stops raining in time, this could be epic. Fully automated experience except for candy distribution......

Comment

outbackrob quick setup some notification system, either push, email or something else and then just sent alerts "Damn tricksters are here; go feed them!" to household members cellphones based on HomeSeer motion triggers, at least it will feel candy distribution is somewhat automated then

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                                [USER="38336"]...at least it will feel candy distribution is somewhat automated then
                                My PLAN is to again have the choice of SCARY or kiddo friendly at a button down by the curb. I will add a text message in your honor to remind us that someone is about to come to the door. Great idea!

Comment

Working...
                                X