No announcement yet.

Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY cool. ANOTHER option for next year!

Comment

It does tie you to the keyboard to run the "Puppet".
      I was running it from about 7:15 until 9:00.
      We ran out of candy, so I closed it down and went out to take pictures, and 2 more car loads showed up while I was disassembling. They were older so I told them they were free to look at it, but I was out of candy and not behind the wall to operate it.

Several technical challenges. I used a hearing aid amplifier from Radio Shack that I already had to hear what they were saying back to me. Radio Shack # 33-1096.

I put it between the house wall and the piece of wood for the mirror wall. It worked pretty well. I used a pair of headphones to listen to it. I think I will make it all together next year so I just have to plugin one pair of headphones. I used one gaming pair for the mic, and one music pair for the headphone since they had to go two different directions.

But these yard haunts get better every year dont they?
      A computer's attention span is as long
      as it's powercord.

Comment

I can imagine the technical challenges.... I thought about it for about 10 minutes after seeing your original post and visiting the website. Seemed like too much work to get it functioning for this year. I think I would need to start NOW with it for next year.....

If I could get it to work via TTS, that might make it easier. Have the "listener" outside with say....a palmpad with 16 or 32 pre-chosen responses via programmed event? That would take practice. While I wait for next Halloween, maybe I could use this so my son's friends could finally "meet" our Rosie....

Every year, my wife asks, "What's next?" I am not always sure if that is out of curiosity or desperation? Regardless, the possibilities are almost endless. ...especially with the creative minds on this board! Considering the infrastructure is already in place, anything new is just a matter of spending time to work it out.

SOME year I want to be able to snap a picture of their faces at the door and then have them see it back down at the sign after they leave.

Rob

Comment

NEXT year, Reidfo! Next year!

Comment

Something like the one in canada that has been in the news?
            http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...lery-1.1186495
            as it's powercord.

Comment

OMG! What the heck did they see?

Yes! Just like that!

Rob

Comment

BTW, I counted up all the HA parts used out in my front yard on Halloween as I was cleaning them up tonight.....

16 Appliance modules
                2 Universal modules (buying more for next year!)
                2 Big Red Switches
                1 Palmpad
                1 Eagle Eye motion sensor

....and 32 events

One of the appliance modules is a Radio Shack model I bought in 1986 or 87. It was in constant use for about 20 years and got relegated to outdoor use in 2007 since it has turned orange.....

Rob

Comment

I found something on Yahoo that says it was a dark room and as the people walk through the lights on the front of a car came on and it was a car imbedded in the wall and the horn honked.
                  as it's powercord.

Comment

Originally posted by sdanks View Post
                    It does tie you to the keyboard to run the "Puppet".
                    I was running it from about 7:15 until 9:00.
                    We ran out of candy, so I closed it down and went out to take pictures, and 2 more car loads showed up while I was disassembling. They were older so I told them they were free to look at it, but I was out of candy and not behind the wall to operate it.

Several technical challenges. I used a hearing aid amplifier from Radio Shack that I already had to hear what they were saying back to me. Radio Shack # 33-1096.

I put it between the house wall and the piece of wood for the mirror wall. It worked pretty well. I used a pair of headphones to listen to it. I think I will make it all together next year so I just have to plugin one pair of headphones. I used one gaming pair for the mic, and one music pair for the headphone since they had to go two different directions.

But these yard haunts get better every year dont they?
                    Did you just have the animation or use this:
                    diymagicmirror.com?
                    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I just used the puppet from the imagineerieing.com site.
                      I had control over it and was doing the voice and corny jokes.
                      When they cant see you all self respect goes out the window. . . .

Actually, that looks interesting. The characters are the same so I bet they are working together.
                      as it's powercord.

Comment

I just used the puppet from the imagineerieing.com site.
                        I had control over it and was doing the voice and corny jokes.
                        When they cant see you all self respect goes out the window. . . .

Actually, that looks interesting. The characters are the same so I bet they are working together.
                        seemed to be.

i liked the x10 hooks, could enable a smoke machine or strobe or something.
                        HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                        53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                        https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Might have to look at that for next year. I like to be in the action outside not stuck behind a wall, but it made the mask very interactive. One of the teenagers asked my daughter if this was live or recorded, and I started talking to him.

I did get lots of comments about how cool this was. I guess it was the best thing in the neighboorhood since there really wasnt anything other than people handing out candy. There is a guy on the next street that puts up 15 or 20 blowup pumpkins and cats and halloween yard statues.

Maybe I will plan for more next year. I live on a corner lot, so not a real long driveway like outbackrob looks like he has.

Maybe with more advanced planning I could do more. We will see.
                          as it's powercord.

Comment

I also found some music that I think would go good with a yard haunt.
                            There is a group called the "Midnight Syndicate".

I think Noctem Aeternus would be good for outside bushes music.
                            They did several albums and I will probably use that music next year.

It would be too scary for little kids, but lots of the music is in a minor keys.
                            as it's powercord.

Comment

Maybe I will plan for more next year. I live on a corner lot, so not a real long driveway like outbackrob looks like he has.
                              I am on a corner lot too. From the sign to our front door is a cement walkway.

Comment

It would be too scary for little kids, but lots of the music is in a minor keys.
                                Just automate a "kid" mode!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X