Best way to kill a process? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to kill a process? Anyone?

Hi guys... I'm using PSKill.exe to kill processes, which allows me to kill an existing pandora instance before respawning with a new channel name. I have written a batch file in the Windows system path that works great, but when I try to launch application from HS and point to the batch file it does nothing. If I run CMD.EXE and use the path to the batch file as the paramater, it launches the command prompt but does not launch the actual command.

Can anyone give me a hint or two? I'm trial-and-erroring myself to death over here!

Adam

Post the contents of the file and maybe we can spot an issue.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

One way: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=124787
      Jon

Comment

Well. not much to it. Here's the command:

c:\windows\system32\pskill.exe pandora.exe

Running the batch file from a command prompt produces the desired results, but from HS it simply flashes the CMD prompt window too quickly to see what error or message (if any) is being displayed.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam12hicks View Post
          Well. not much to it. Here's the command:

c:\windows\system32\pskill.exe pandora.exe

Running the batch file from a command prompt produces the desired results, but from HS it simply flashes the CMD prompt window too quickly to see what error or message (if any) is being displayed.

Thanks!
          How do you have the event setup? Are you using a launch application as your action? Do you have the pandora.exe in the parameters field?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I think there is a /wait parameter on batchfiles. You might try that.
            A computer's attention span is as long
            as it's powercord.

Comment

Can't you just use taskkill?

Event Action: Launch Application
              Application: taskkill.exe
              Parameters: /f /im pandora.exe
              HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
              Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
              on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
              WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I use tskill to kill Pandora. This must be run from the command prompt. So you need to create and run a batch file containing the line : tskill pandora.exe

Use the HS launch application command to launch the batch file such as kill_pandora.bat
                Make sure you include the full path name of the batch file.

There may be other ways but this way is bullet proof.

Steve Q
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

just have homeseer call the batch file. I tend to find that the path will get you. So, typically, I do exactly what you did, call a batch file from HS.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                  X