Automate HS backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automate HS backup

I have two similar computers, one is a HS production server, the other one would be the standby server in case the other crash. I would like to automate the backup solution on the other standby server, perhaps weekly. I have several programs, that I could use to wake up the backup server "Jon Network app) and put an image on it. Any solutions that you know that I can implement to restore the latest image on the backup server?

Thanks,
    Aldo

I used to use Homeseer events for my backup and over the last few years I have gone to going externally to run the backup using MS scheduler.

For the nightly directory backup I utilize the free MS backup. For the weekly partition backup I utilize Drive Snapshot (very inexpensive).

Automating the failover box would be easy; just be aware that if run an image backup you will have a duplicate IP address and you would want to automate the shutting down of the primary computer or just physically remove the network cable from the primary computer.

You can also schedule everything with HS events; preference though is that should a failure occur then HS most likely wouldn't be running then best to go external from HS for said DR recovery option.

Note that this is my personal methodology and an attempt not to justify one means or another or endorse any specific product; but rather just my personal methodology.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete. Although I was looking into a Ghost image solution, this is a good strategy as well.
      Anyone else using a ghost image solution that would image the HD from scratch like in the computers labs?

Aldo

Comment

If you are looking for Imaged Based look into Storage Craft Shadow Protect Desktop. You can do continuous block level incremental backups (collapse with Shadow Protect Image manager) and do bare metal restore backups to different hardware. Its really great software, not free through

Comment

Working...
        X