Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RemoteLock Wi-Fi Deadbolts Pre-Order

Hi All,

I have been watching a company called LockState for a while as they progressed on development of a Wi-Fi enabled deadbolt. Well it looks like they are finally accepting pre-orders at www.remotelock.com. The product looked really interesting to me since it uses Wi-Fi instead of Z-wave. With my current Z-wave locks, the best I can get is about 50% reliability. I am fairly confident that these Wi-Fi locks will be near 100% and won't require another network or Z-wave beaming etc so it should be a much easier product to integrate and use. I have contacted the company and they are planning on releaseing an API around the time the product is released. With this API, it should be possible to integrate these locks into HomeSeer. I have already pre-ordered one and plan to take a stab at developing a plugin to support these locks when they are available.

Is anyone else interested in something like this?

Adam
    Yes
    71.43%
    No
    28.57%

I voted yes, only if security is a high priority. Also, I wouldnt be interested in a 3rd party web site or 'service' to control the lock.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      I voted yes, only if security is a high priority. Also, I wouldnt be interested in a 3rd party web site or 'service' to control the lock.
      My understanding is that the lock uses 256-bit WEP encryption. Also, Lockstate does offer a 3rd party website to control the locks for a fee, however this website and subsription shouldn't be necessary with the API. Using the API and a HomeSeer plugin, we should be able to communicate directly with the locks without the need for anything else.

Adam

Comment

If is WEP, I would be concern since it takes less than 2 minutes to brake it.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
          If is WEP, I would be concern since it takes less than 2 minutes to brake it.
          If someone is maliciously attempting to get into your home the locks encryption is of little value.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I echo the sentiments above...I'd be interested, but I'd certainly prefer WPA2 over WEP. I didn't think any new hardware that uses solely WEP can advertise they are Wi-Fi certified.

Also, I don't want to have to pay to control the lock, or to have the information about the lock being sent out to the cloud. I'd prefer to be able to control the lock either locally or via internet access that hits my own server, not anyone else's.

Comment

According to the video at ~1:40 they state 256 Wep security.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
                I echo the sentiments above...I'd be interested, but I'd certainly prefer WPA2 over WEP. I didn't think any new hardware that uses solely WEP can advertise they are Wi-Fi certified.

Also, I don't want to have to pay to control the lock, or to have the information about the lock being sent out to the cloud. I'd prefer to be able to control the lock either locally or via internet access that hits my own server, not anyone else's.
                I also would prefer WPA2, but 256-bit WEP is pretty robust. Using the API and a HomeSeer plugin, I don't believe that any subsriptions or cloud based services would be necessary to use the lock.

Comment

Where are you guys seeing that there's an API?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    Where are you guys seeing that there's an API?
                    I don't see it listed anywhere, but I contacted the company directly and was told that an API is being developed and will be released concurrent with the locks release.

Comment

My concern with wep is more about the house network.. Where you'll either have to down shift your router to wep to talk to it (not happening) or buy a second router, and a good one, to talk to it with wep and secure it from everything else on your home area network.. Except homeseer... Expensive and still scary to me
                      Paul

Comment

Might wanna check this one: https://lockitron.com/preorder
                        -BD
                        Last edited by Rupp; November 21, 2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

The video claims up to a year battery life, but I wonder what percentage of the time Wifi must be disconnected to achieve this result. I believe the power requirements for Wifi are significantly higher than Z-wave for example, no?

Don

Comment

Very Interested

I have a few out buildings that my 802.11N covers great but not so good on my lower frequency 900mhz Zwave network

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
                              Might wanna check this one: https://lockitron.com/preorder
                              -BD
                              That's a nice looking retrofit that avoids a bulky appearance on the outside. No outside interface to get soiled or tarnish either. I can see the appeal. Their website says it will be available Summer 2013.

I like the concept, especially if it could be controlled using HomeSeer. Does a different company maybe already have a z-wave equivalent?

Comment

Working...
                              X