SimplySmart modules and HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SimplySmart modules and HomeSeer

Has anyone bought the Simply Automated "SimplySmart" pre-configured module packages? These seem like a good deal. You can buy the Pre-Configured UPB Simple Starter Kit for Hard Wired Lighting Control kit on SmartHome, for example, for almost $100 less than buying the 3 individual pieces separately.

However, the SmartHome site has a statement at the bottom reading:
    Note: With the SimplySmart pre-configured devices, each device has been hard coded with a unique ID, which means you'll only want one of each of the following in a single home: DKIT-01, DKIT-02, UML7, UML8, US1W9, US1W10, US2TP11, or US2W12. Having more than one of these in the home will make communication unstable, as these are designed to be starter devices only.
    This would seem to imply these units can not be used as general purpose UPB devices, and you should not order more than one of these kits. However, at the bottom of the Simply Automated site on these items the statement reads:
    One model-number only of any pre-configured kit or unit can be used in a home without the use of a PC with UPStart configuration software and a computer interface module.
    To me this implies that if I use UPStart and reconfigure the pre-configured devices, I could buy and use more than one of these kits in a house at one time without any limitations, and save some money.

Which is it? Should I avoid using multiple of these "starter kits" in a fully configured UPB installation, or as long as I configure them via UPStart is this a convenient way to save some cash? Thanks for any answer!

You could try calling SA and asking them directly. Or, you could buy one kit and see if you can use UpStart to alter the preconfigured addresses.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I have one set of UPB switches from the kit in place and had no issues changing the address.

That said I do not see a unique ID on it but I also have one in place and only used one kit.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

FWIW, I got this response from Ken at Simply Automated:
        You can reconfigure the "preconfigured" kits any way you like using upstart. You can also add any standard product to a "preconfigured" kit using upstart.
        While it doesn't explicitly say I can use two kits together, it seems to imply it since I explicitly asked if I could do that in my question. So, I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

Comment

Good news Dan.

Here I removed the UBP switch covers with the toggle on the top and the four buttons underneath replacing the covers with a 2, 3 or 4 toggle cover.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X