Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pbibm
    replied
    I have one of the dual band relay keypad links and just tested it and you're right, it won't send the dimming commands out to the lights. It will turn them off and on. The other keypadlincs will send the dim commands out to linked lights whether a load is connected to them or not.

So yes, you're right, need a dimming KPL to make that work.

The only barrier to performance I run across is correctly placing access points and dual band devices to get the best RF performance. I have been amazed that my first dualband device was a plm tucked in the corner of the house with a metal furnace and overhead duct-work. Having said that, its still RF and and playing with positioning of access points takes time and patience.

Leave a comment:

• pgovotsos
    replied
    I'm using a HomeTroller with Mark's plugin controlling the Insteon. I haven't added an ISY into the mix (yet).

So far, I have only purchased the 6 button relay KPL (2487S) because it's the only on with dual band. I have replaced the face with 8 button where desired.

With these, some of the KPLs ARE connected to a load. With these KPLs, the top button can only turn on/off the connected load, no dimming although any button on this or another KPL can turn on / off / dim. To dim a connected load, I'd have to use the 6 or 8 button KeyPadLinc Dimmers (2486DWH6 or 2486DWH8) right?

I only have a few RemoteLincs that are the only RF only devices so having about 15 single band KPLs among 50+ with Access Points & SwitchLincs shouldn't impact the RemoteLincs' performance?

Leave a comment:

• pbibm
    replied
    It's independent of load. Its a function of the insteon protocol and happens when you press and hold a button or switch. Its not a setup thing as far as I know, it just does it.. eg I don't think you get a choice to turn this capability on or off. What you are looking to do is just "in there" when you link devices to a switch and push the group to the switch or keypad key.

Having said its independent, pressing the A key causes the local load wire to dim/brighten in concert with the insteon messages sent to linked devices to do the same.

I understand what you are going through, if you have a couple of devices its worth 'bench testing' them and experimenting to see how they work. Try different combinations of pushing groups to the switches from groups. Also mark has special features for keypadlincs.

I'm not sure if you're using mark's plugin or ISY. I can only comment on Mark's plugin.

Leave a comment:

• pgovotsos
    replied
    Thanks. I was confused because in the group setup screen, the Setting field for the controlled device only showed On, Off, and various percents. I had no idea it would work like this.

If a KPL does NOT have a load connected to it, can the first and last button (the On / Off ones) be setup the same way? I see entries for them in the drop down for the group setup screen? Does it matter if there's a load connected? It seems like if there's a load, the on/off buttons will control them no matter what, the programming just stacks on top of that to let the button control load AND a scene?

Leave a comment:

• pbibm
    replied
    Same thing.. I have n switches linked to a keypad key. I press and hold the keypad key and all the linked dimmers dim together ....
    I release and then press and hold again and all linked dimmers brighten together

This will help when using mark sandlers plugin, not isy
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=151193
    Last edited by pbibm; December 26, 2012, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pgovotsos
    replied
    Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. It sounds like you're talking about being able to press a button and the light will dim to a preset point. I'm trying to do a more dynamic dim / brighten where the level is not predetermined by programming, but is controlled by the button pusher.

If that's what you're describing, can you talk about it a little more fully? Pretend that I'm an idiot and need step by step instructions.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• pbibm
    replied
    Yes it is. I have keypadlinc buttons that control and dim several inlinelincs per button.

Its a function of insteon for dimming devices linked to any dimming switch / keypad botton.

To accomplish this, if you are using Mark Sandler's Insteon plugin, create a new group for each keypad button and check the appropriate devices to control for the button and select the keypadlinc button as the controller. Multiple controllers can control the same inlinelincs.

I'm sure the ISY can do it too, I just don't know how that works. There is a little learning curve to insteon from x10 but its not that bad. You are already part way there!

Leave a comment:

• pgovotsos
    started a topic How to dim a group with KPL

How to dim a group with KPL

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to do dimming of groups with Insteon dimming KPLs and HomeSeer.

This is what I have now with X-10:
    -Inline module wired to the load
    -Leviton wall mounted transceivers
    -Both are set to the same X-10 code
    -If I tap the left side of the button on the transceiver, the light turns on
    -If I tap the right side of the button, the light turns off
    -If I tap & hold the left side of the button, the light brightens until I release the button
    -If I tap & hold the right side of the button, the light dims until I release the button

All of this happens using one rocker button on the transceiver.

How do I achieve this with the dimming KPLs? Do I even need the dimming KPLs to do this since most of the loads are not directly connected to the KPL but to InlineLincs so everything is done with groups. If I understand the devices correctly, out of the box, only the top button can do dim / brighten.

I have 2 situations: some of the KPLs are connected to the load and for others, I have an InlineLinc and 1 button of KPL(s) in the same group.

It _looks_ like I can only have the button (controller) turn on, off, or preset dim the InLineLinc (responder).

Is it possible that:
    -I tap the button & the load turns on
    -I tap the button 2nd time & the load turns off
    -I tap & hold the button and the load brightens until I release the button
    -I tap & hold the button and the load dims until I release the button

I apologize for my ignorance here. I've used X-10 for so long and Insteon has some very different ways to do things that, frankly, don't seem to make sense. (or I'm just stupid which might be closer to the truth )

Thanks for any help!
Working...
X