Replacing an existing Napco System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing an existing Napco System

Moved into our house this summer and it came with a Napco Gemini P3200 system. I was looking to replace it with something that works well with HS such as a DSC system (like I had in my old location), however just hit a stumbling block. The people we purchased the house from built the house, so had the system installed and custom wired. From what I just discovered to my dismay, it appears the three Gemini keypads (GEM-RP1CAe2) each have a 4 zone expansion to them. From the two I looked at so far, they both have at least a couple of the expansion zones wired (I suspect the 3rd keypad does as well from how they finished a room later that also has zones.)

The security panel itself is in a closet so with some pain, I believe I should be able to chase wires to it if I had to. The keypad in the basement is pretty easy to get to, and I suspect I could get to the kitchen one as well, but will be pretty painful. The keypad upstairs will be pretty much impossible to get to as it sits under a partially finished attic. I really wanted to stay wired and not go wireless as logistically the infrastructure *is* there (and done well as sensors/contacts are well hidden), just not really compatible with the DSC keypads from what I can tell.

Any thoughts? I know I can't be the only only have gone thru with this My original idea of a weekend project to swap it out has gone out the window now.

Thanks,

-Mike

Just thinking outside the box here but couldn't you use a hardwired expander module mounted behind the keypad for those locations where you really can't get the extra wire to? Granted the expander is meant to mount at the panel but it just connects to the keybus so it should work anywhere.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the response... I had thought that after I went to bed last night. Not sure how big those boards are? I checked the keypad upstairs, and sure enough it also has all four zones used. I suppose I could punch a hole big enough to fit the board w/wires thru into the space behind the wall. Assuming low fire hazard for that as pretty low voltage stuff?

-Mike

Comment

It's only 12vdc and there is no reason you can't put it in a small project box to protect it. The boards are pretty small, to look at it maybe 2x4 inches or so. There should be more than enough room within the wall for it.

One other thing i was thinking about was this would work fine for window or door sensors but if it's a powered unit like a motion or glass break it would also need a 12v power supply, I don't know if there is enough on the keybus to run those types of things or if you would need to power them independently from the keybus.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
          It's only 12vdc and there is no reason you can't put it in a small project box to protect it. The boards are pretty small, to look at it maybe 2x4 inches or so. There should be more than enough room within the wall for it.

One other thing i was thinking about was this would work fine for window or door sensors but if it's a powered unit like a motion or glass break it would also need a 12v power supply, I don't know if there is enough on the keybus to run those types of things or if you would need to power them independently from the keybus.
          I had thought about the 12vdc going to the motion sensors (there are a couple of them.) However I *think* they may be wired direct to the panel. Looking at the Napco manual, I think they use a similar keypad bus as the DSC (4 wire) so it may be doable. Also looking at the expander module manual, "VAUX - Used to provide power for devices. Maximum current draw is not to exceed 100 mA. Connect the positive lead of powered devices to VAUX and the negative to BLK or any COM terminal", this leads me to believe that those are connected direct to devices and back to the panel so only the 4 wires go back to the panel. Hmm this may be doable

-Mike

Comment

It just might be, remember if you're going to use many of those expander units, that whatever panel you get has to support that many zones. You may have to go for the 1864 as opposed to the 1832, even though you may not need that many zones.

It seems an odd way to wire a house, zone wires going to keypads and power wires going back to the panel. It may serve you well to spend a little time with a toner and probe and make sure of what goes where before you jump in.
            Marty
            ------

Comment

Working...
            X