Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you using to interface/control your VIDEO media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you using to interface/control your VIDEO media?

My question is what everyone has been using to manage the video portion of their setup, specifically video files on your computer/server...

I am new to the forums, been lurking for a bit now since I am planning on building a full scale HS system once I move this February.

Right now I have Plex Media Server managing my whole Sickbeard/CouchPotato/Headphones setup and currently use a jailbroken apple tv 2 to watch the content.

So, my question is what everyone has been using to manage the video portion of their setup since I don't see anything similar to the iTunes plugin that allows the user to select music with cover art. Ultimately some sort of Plex or J River plugin would RULE, but I am guessing that I will most likely just be using HS to open plex on my computer and control it with some sort of IR blaster, but that certainly wouldn't be as elegant as a plugin that showed the art and had tv season/movie info like Plex does.

I really enjoy reading your forums!! I hope to contribute to the community with what I have learned once I begin to build my system.

There was/is a JRMC plugin but it has been unsupported for some time, I think if it does work it works with a much older version of JRMC.

You have asked the question that I have been thinking for a while, there are a number of audio plugins but little for video. There has been some mention of an XBMC plugin which might be promising, with the amount of hardware that XBMC can work on hopefully that is going to be a good solution.

And welcome to the forums...

Comment

Thank you mrhappy, I too came to this conclusion and would definitely issue the xbmc plugin if it was released, I guess it's just a shame there is so much development on audio and absolutely zero on any of the latest video media managers that have been released lately.
      I am still going to try out that old j river plugin when the time comes, otherwise I may just have to make some sort of home baked solution.

Thank you for the reply and welcome, Happy new years to you!

Comment

Not sure if this is close to what you are looking for?
        http://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1112

If you use DVD Profiler to track your collection of discs, then your collection can be imported. You can manually enter your own camcorder videos as well.
        There are several web pages to view your collection. If you have ripped your discs, you can enter the network path and file name.
        Any that have a path and file name will then have a watch link that you can use to play the movie on a computer using whatever playback software you have associated with the file type.

The current version is a set of scripts and asp pages. I have added extra functionality in a plugin to allow you to setup clients. There is an program that you run on a client computer that listens on a port that you select. The plugin can then select a movie or tv episode from a list and send a play command to the client computer.

For HS3, the entire project will be moved into a plugin to allow events and triggers for HS events.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Just a comment on Video Profiler. I think I bought it when it was first introduced.

Its a very robust program.

For a time in the 2000's (maybe it was the 1990's?) my DVD collection started to look like a video rental store (basement multimedia room) and I purchased a bar code reader just to utilize it with Video profiler.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by vv7 View Post
            Thank you mrhappy, I too came to this conclusion and would definitely issue the xbmc plugin if it was released, I guess it's just a shame there is so much development on audio and absolutely zero on any of the latest video media managers that have been released lately.
            I am still going to try out that old j river plugin when the time comes, otherwise I may just have to make some sort of home baked solution.

Thank you for the reply and welcome, Happy new years to you!
            If it is DLNA compliant, check this out: http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1115

I know Plex supports DLNA because recently somebody had a problem with it. Found out that it is somewhat limited support at this time (search function is missing, which is basic DLNA media server functionality). There are other freeware DLNA servers and most av devices today come standard with DLNA player support.

Welcome to the HS forum and happy new-year.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
            X