Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

x10 low voltage lighting

Hi
    Is there a x10 module that will control low voltage lighting and is silent in operation?

Currently I am using appliance modules to control as normal lamp let some cuttent through, the click from the appliance module is pretty loud.

If possible I would like it to be DIN mountable and it's for the UK.

thanks for any ideas.

I fell back to using X10 appliance modules for my 1000 watt commercial styled outdoor landscaping transformers because the Insteon and Z-wave appliance modules were tripping the fuse breakers when kicking on. The X10 appliance modules were in the basement and loud but they didn't trip the breakers and were of the older style. Each of the transformers had their own breakers in the fuse panel.

Fast forward to today. I have converted all of my outdoor lighting now to LED going from the 4 1000 watt AC transformers to small DIN mounted DC transformers. I am using one wall switch to controll all of the transformers on one circuit these days. It is very quiet.

The most issues I had was to find a DIN rail. Here they are very expensive for some unknown reason. I purchased mine in bulk from China which worked for me.

Here is a thread relating to my endeavor. A neighbor here has taken all of his LED landscaping lighing to solar panels / batteries now and it is working for him.

I am now at four DIN DC transformers today controlled by one quiet wall switch on one circuit. I have about 12 zones of LV outdoor LED lighting today.

Next endeavor is to move the DIN DC transformers to an enclosure (also difficult to find here - so may make one) or go to solar panels and batteries. The switch then would be a 120VAC solenoid to manage 12VDC power switching or maybe even a LV solenoid connected to to an output from the alarm panel.

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=151028

Last edited by Pete; February 7, 2013, 10:55 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=49 are pretty quiet, not like the thunder crack of the normal modules (you can get them from letsautomate IIRC).
      I have had mixed reliability with them, good few failed but some still working OK so not sure if I had a dodgy batch or not.

Or a micromodule built into the lamp would be quiet.

Comment

hi
        when you say low voltage lighting do you mean LED. If not then the standard din mount lamp modules work fine with the dimmable transformers. I have mine set up this way and all my lights are 12v lights

thanks
        Ken

Comment

Low voltage

Hi Ken

Yes meant LED, also had one LED light that would Flickr on and off while the lamp module was set to off the light would come on when the module turned on.

Had another exact same lamp wired in the same and it worked perfectly??

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=49 are pretty quiet, not like the thunder crack of the normal modules (you can get them from letsautomate IIRC).
            I have had mixed reliability with them, good few failed but some still working OK so not sure if I had a dodgy batch or not.
            I was using those as well, found them great for LV as the do not pass any current when off.

The downside was a high failure rate and they generate noise, a lot of noise according to my X10 meter.
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Quiet x10 module

Thing is needs to go in a enclosure not a 3 pin plug.

as a replacement for the appliance modules.

Comment

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=45

http://www.letsautomate.com/10936.cfm?

I have the lamp version of the above, can't imagine the appliance version is going to be as loud as the normal appliance module.

Comment

the problem I think you will have is that most LEDs are not dimmable and the din mounted lamp modules are dimmers also. My mate has over come the flickering problem by leaving one of the LEDs as a normal halogen light and this provides enough load to stop the flickering.

Comment

flickering and light on faintly

could I put a resistor between the module and lamp? this would stop the small current getting through but would allow full power to get through?

Comment

Originally posted by techboy View Post
                      could I put a resistor between the module and lamp? this would stop the small current getting through but would allow full power to get through?
                      Interesting thought, in theory should work.

There was a post a few years ago, which I cannot find, that detailed how to modify those units so you would not pass any current when off.

The passing of the current is only used to allow the units to be controlled locally at the unit, something I have never used.
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by kensmith View Post
                        hi
                        when you say low voltage lighting do you mean leds. If not then the standard din mount lamp modules work fine with the dimmable transformers. I have mine set up this way and all my lights are 12v lights

thanks
                        Ken
                        Hello I have huge requirement of 12 v led lights. What is the reliable source to purchase them?
                        Last edited by ; February 14, 2013, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I have purchased mine in bulk from China. The quality is not there yet. Getting better though.

(I am at something like 10 zones or (12?) with over 100 LED lamps outside today). (currently at 6 DIN mounted 12VDC PS's)

I do not and never have dimmed any of my outdoor LV lighting.

I could have though with the older commercial landscaping transformers but never did.
                          Last edited by Pete; February 15, 2013, 09:13 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                          X