Hardwire thermostat to power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardwire thermostat to power?

I've read some reviews (on other sites) about thermostats on Homeseer. It seems the most consistent issue is the Z-Wave connection on battery power. I can imagine that the batteries wouldn't last too long trying to maintain the wireless connection.

So ... is it possible/difficult to wire the thermostat into the house's power? If I'm asking this, it should be obvious that I'm not the one to do this ... just want to see if it's possible, then I'll call someone.

Welcome to the HomeSeer message board. This is very possible by using a "wall-wart" power supply.
    Here's one post that describes how a user wired his stat.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=875601
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Rupp ... and thanks for the answer!

Now, to find a wall plug close by ...

Thanks again!

Comment

I dont have zwave Tstats but have Insteon. Do Zwave not use the same voltage and type as the HVAC controls?

If so why buy more power adapters and why not run the zwave parallel to the tstat?
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
          I dont have zwave Tstats but have Insteon. Do Zwave not use the same voltage and type as the HVAC controls?

If so why buy more power adapters and why not run the zwave parallel to the tstat?
          Not all HVAC systems provide a "C" wire for power to the thermostat. Older thermostats were nothing more than an electromechanical switch that didn't require power. The power supply is used in these cases where the HVAC system doesn't supply power.
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Ah Ha, yes that makes sense where your running aux power for the zwave. Maybe I should think and then speak.
            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Working...
            X