Moving in a few weeks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving in a few weeks...

So I am closing on a new house in two weeks and get to basically start over. Daunting and exciting at the same time.

The house was built in 66. I am not sure; but I imagine those houses had metal electrical boxes. Right now, my house was 95 so all my boxes are plastic. The panel looks to be about 10 years old. The house is relatively small (2100 or so square feet)

I have been running Zwave; and I am not sure how well that will work for switches if the boxes are metal. I used to use X10, but that was a pain because of line noise. I am interested in UPB, but I see some complaints about noise on the line and needing filters as well. I will probably do a mix and match. I am wondering about people's experiences in similar homes.

Other things of interest-- has a well with an elaborate filtration system. New forced hot water system with 4 zones. And a sprinkler system. Not sure if the thermostats has 2 or 4 wire. If they are two, I might use nest which can charge itself off of a 24VAC system. Couple of garage doors and some outdoor lighting. A little outdoor house for the summer which is maybe 20 yards from the house. Has a ceiling fan. Long driveway; thinking of a Dakota alert for that. I am going to run Gigabit ethernet to all the rooms and we are going to install a gas log fireplace.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Congrats!

I have a few ZWave switches and outlets in metal boxes and I dont recall having any problems with them. Then again, they are usually within range of several other devices, so the mesh might be taking care of any problems.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Congratulations wpiman.

In the midwest all of the electric is via metal conduit and boxes. I am doing UPB right now on almost all of the metal gang boxes and it works fine for me. I have installed a repeater which also is working fine.

That said house #2 is all plastic gang boxes with romex. Hot and neutrals are run to every light switch gang box.

Today I am using powerline only there and it too is working fine although its mostly X10 right now.

I am using Z-Wave in the midwest but only doing it with external modules inside and outside of the house and it works. I have not tried any Z-Wave light switches in the metal gang boxes at this time.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have been using UPB exclusively for about 7 years now and am completely happy with it.
        No noise issues and this is a 30 year old house and lots of RFI in the atmosphere.

Good luck on the move.

Comment

Went to pull out my waves switches from the old place and discovered low and behold the boxes were metal. I guess Wave doesn't seem to care very much.
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I am in a house built in 1960 and all the boxes are metal. I'm using Insteon with no coverage issues. Insteon is both power line and RF.

Ken

Comment

Working...
            X