DSC WS4904P Wireless Motion Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC WS4904P Wireless Motion Sensors

HELP as I think I may have just purchase useless sensors for HS Home Automation....

I just purchase and received my new DSC Security system and as part on the system I ordered 7 "DSC WS4904P Wireless Pet-Immune Passive Infrared Detector" motion sensors.

I was told that I cud access via plugins all of the sensors in my security system and use them with HS to create events as well. My plan was to use these motion sensors in place of my existing "Smarthome 2842-222 Skylink Wireless INSTEON Motion Sensors."

HERE IS THE PROBLEM.... The Installtion manual brags about a "feature" that pretty much makes these sensors worthless for Homeseer...

High Traffic Shutdown Mode
    ... When motion is detected, the device will transmit to the Reciever and will then shutdown for 3 minutes...

How in the world would one then use this to trigger events like the Insteon sensors???

For example, in the upstairs hall I now have an Insteon sensor that at night triggers a "night light" event. Someone enter the hall, the lights come on at 10%, goes off after 30 seconds, person goes to bathroom, then enters hall again, event again triggers light for 30 seconds and then turns it off. I already had to increase the ON time due to the Insteon sensors limitations. Using these I'd have to increase on time to 3 min. Les should the person finish their business they would enter a dark hall with no light for up to 3 min....

This is just one example of an event that would suffer due to the "High Traffic Shutdown Mode."

Will the alarm and sensor work if I keep them in the test mode??? Yes, I know this will use more battery power....

I have seven of these and will try this myself with one of them before I open the rest, but this is a serious Home Automation limitation with a 3 min sleep no sensing time.

Thanks
    Rich

OK a closer look at the manual and there is no way of keeping the sensors in the test mode as after 10 test / trip events it resets back to the High Traffic Shutdown mode....

I've asked in a few places and it seems I can install multiple motion sensors in the same area and the will NOT interfere with each other. Is that really the case? I'm just looking for as many concurrences with this statement as possible do I feel comfortable my dual installation of Insteon Motion Sensor with the DSC Wireless Motion Sensor will not be a problem.

Of course someone had an idea of using the DSC Door/Window sensor that supports external contacts and wiring that to a wireless motion sensor that does not have the high traffic mode. I'd have to find one, build one, or hack one.

Along these lines, It would be interesting if one could tap into the Insteon 2842-222 (new part number of 2420M) and connect it to the Normally Closed contacts of the DSC WS4945 that has "Normally closed external contact input"

http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...Fe-DQgodDxcAxQ

Rich

Comment

Working...
    X