Building a new house, need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... building a new house and as you can imagine I'm trying to think of every possibility as having a framed house with no walls yet is so enticing for running lots of cable!

Everything will be from scratch (including HS3 on a new server) although I will use a lot of the old interfaces like Zwave, RF, etc.

Items I'll be buying new -

19" rack with new gb switch, patch panels, POE injectors for new IP cameras
    Thermostat x2 - not decided on brand but don't want Zwave, must be hardwired
    Security System - thinking DSC
    Speakers throughout the house.
    lots of Cat6, RG6, speaker wire, security wire
    flat panel above fireplace sunken in with all AV equipment in separate closet with IR repeater.

Soooo... any input on the stats and security panel? Anything you can think of that you'd love to do if your walls were wide open?

Thanks!!!
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Don't forget temperature sensors. Try to hide them.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
      Don't forget temperature sensors. Try to hide them.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Good call, 1-wire opportunity there for sure.
      HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

One thing I'd like to do if I had the opportunity is hardwired stealth motion detectors in every room. Maybe ones that are built into the walls or ceiling, but still accessible in case they fail.

It would be awesome to have lights turn on and off throughout the house in real time as you walk around. You could have music and announcements follow you around as well.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
          One thing I'd like to do if I had the opportunity is hardwired stealth motion detectors in every room. Maybe ones that are built into the walls or ceiling, but still accessible in case they fail.

It would be awesome to have lights turn on and off throughout the house in real time as you walk around. You could have music and announcements follow you around as well.
          Nice idea and the wired motion sensors are cheaper than wireless (except the x10 ones of course) and never have to get battery changes! On the list!

Comment

bump. Come on guys, I know there's something that I'm missing. hardwired motion, 1-wire. Cat6/speakers for future outdoor pool area, maybe floor pressure sensors on the stringers under the floor for occupancy? Not sure how well they work with tile/hardwood floors though...

Comment

I suggest installing electrical conduit in the drywall in each room for adding wiring after you start living in the house. One end would go to a gang box in the room and the other end would go to a hidden connecting area such as the attic, wiring closet, or a machine room. It should be possible to run a cable from any room to another other room when you are done. Multiple large conduits should be installed in parallel for areas where cables might aggregate from multiple rooms.

When you install the conduit, you can heat it and bend it with a pipe bender. Bend the pipe with sweeping curves to make it easy to thread cables through it without damaging them. For conduit on exterior walls that goes into the attic, bending it inward will make it easy to access when you need it someday. Cover the ends of the pipes with duct tape during construction to prevent insulation and debris from entering them. Use electrical conduit and not plumbing conduit so the walls will be smooth.

Comment

When your doorbell wiring is installed, be sure you can get to the wires so this sensor can be connected to HomeSeer! I overlooked this one...

Comment

Originally posted by thymer View Post
                  bump. Come on guys, I know there's something that I'm missing. hardwired motion, 1-wire. Cat6/speakers for future outdoor pool area, maybe floor pressure sensors on the stringers under the floor for occupancy? Not sure how well they work with tile/hardwood floors though...
                  I have some Sure Action Pulsor Stress Sensors that have been working for 15 years. One is installed under Hardwood flooring in the kitchen, one on the back steps, and one on the front porch. The are connected to the Sure Action 212 Processor. They work great. You adjust the sensitivity you want so the cat or dog does not set it off but a person will. I purchased mine from iAutomate. I highly recommend this product after using it 15 years. They are often installed in boats etc.

Comment

Wire for IP cameras everywhere you think you may ever want one.

Comment

Check out this thread from last year. Lots of good info. I'm still in the build process right now but check back in there all the time.
                      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=155428

I know its been said but run more wire than you need at all turns. The focus of my project has been the wiring closet so there's alot of info about powering that and outfitting with all the required components. Take advantage of your build and make some changes you always wanted...now's the time.
                      HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Agree with the ideas above. I pretty much renovated the entire house so most of the wall were down at one point.
                        Run at least 3-4 more cat5 cables to rooms and living areas than you need.

The conduit idea is great(use large diameter ones) or you can "make your" on conduit by adding another 2x4 between the studs that run 16in on center. The added 2x4 could be put 8-12in from the previous stud. Essentially making a large "conduit" - great for limitless running of future wiring.

Add gang boxes to the exterior wall of the house(all conners) so that you can get cable in and out of the house in case you need it(camera, additional control sprinkler, beam sensors, moisture sensors, weather gauges, etc). There gang boxes on the exterior would connected by conduit running into attic. Same for the interior garage wall in case add water softener, or other equipment there later).

lot of thinking ahead...but will be worth it.

good luck
                        Tom
                        baby steps...starting again with HS3
                        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Oh one other thing - I went with ademco/vista panel instead of dsc. Just because I found a lot more info(off this site) about the panel and expansion parts were cheaper. You will need to pay for the plugin since its not a homeseer included plugin. But support for the ademco plugin is EXCELLENT here!
                          Tom
                          baby steps...starting again with HS3
                          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Great ideas everyone!! This is one of the PIR's im looking at for showers, closets, etc. (shower turns the exhaust fan on). I'm using MS13's throughout the old house now, looking forward to hardwired!

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-8...m_campaign=pla

Also have one of these on order, everything possible will be rack mount in the new network closet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121152822797...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

Working...
                            X