Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To mrhappy ,
    Frankly , i am not yet determine the price yet.

To Pete , vasco ,
    For X10 plug in issue , I understand homeseer already support X10 CM11 \ CM12 or CM15Pro , no plug-in require.
    Now my firmware only support four standard X10 command : ON , OFF , Bright and DIM command.
    For the RGB dimming control , it have 256 steps. When receive Bright or Dim command , it will step up \ down 16 steps.

For interface with Homeseer , you can use standard X10 controller for support RGB dimming control. But the respond time will become slow.
    As you see in the Youtube , if I use VB6 sample program for direct communication with Wifi RGB LED Controller , it nearly a real-time streaming the RGB dimming data. That's why I prefer have a plug-in for Wifi data communication instead of using X10 communication protocol.

Another issue is the dimming control. Since I only support Bright and Dim , didn't support direct dim to specific dim level , say dim Red to 80%.
    If develop a wifi plug-in , I can using slide bar for dimming control.

To vasco ,
    >>Does this also do soft start/stop when you send on/off commands?

Yes , it do the soft start/stop when send on/off commands.

>>And when you switch presets will it fade smoothly on (all) the channels to there new values?

Yes , when you send OFF command. It will save the last dim level value in EPProm . After that , when you send ON command , it will dim to last dim level directly with soft start effect.

>>Will you also ship to Europe, The Netherlands?

Sure , most of my on-line store customer are in Netherlands. Basically I ship worldwide.

Now I am looking into develop a JS with color picker interface. See is that possible make a web page with JS and send the RGB dimming control data via IP base. Like this :
    http://jscolor.com/

Thanks
    Kevin Lo
    http://www.x10.hk

Comment

Kevin,

How about a serial connection and a network interface; direct or indirect with a wireless interface instead; providing the user with all of the aforementioned features?

1 - x10 base
      2 - serial direct
      3 - serial indirect
      4 - network direct

Base com would be a serial link and the optional wireless would utilize the network with a serial link?

This would remove a bit of the proprietary wireless stuff.

I understand the serial is a bit legacy.

Today though my most stable analog to digital interfaces are serial links; real or virtual (via the network). IE: I utilize two Digi Edgeports with 16 serial links to Homeseer. My most stable lighting control is via the powerline (originally X10 and today UPB). I have gone back to utilizing old X10 technology for my holiday lighting; it's very simple; and it's very quick to configure; and it always works for me.

BTW I would be OK with just an X10 power line interface initially anyways and maybe the ability to program what exactly happens with a direct serial or network connection to your device.

They never break.

Personally here I was headed towards ripping apart an RF keypad and doing a DIY for an RF remote controllable RGB lamp; as I am already playing with one today (but it would be a PITA and not really something folks like to do anyways).
      Last edited by Pete; November 4, 2013, 09:58 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Well if there come also a WiFi plugin for HomeSeer to control that's also good off course. X10 runs very stable at my home over the power wires, do not use RF X10 modules. That serial will have a little slow reaction time is not a big issue for me. Most of the lightning is programmed and turns on, off, dim or bright at specific events (e.g. cinema mode), times and/or light/dark intervals.

Now I hope this will not became to expansive

Comment

To Pete ,

Actually , in the Wifi RGB LED controller , it have three input port.

1) X10 PLC Interface via RJ12 port . That is individual connection to the MCU for communication with XM10.

2) TTL Interface via RJ12 port. So that you can use TTL to RS232 Cable for control it via Standard COM Port. Or use TTL to USB (Virtual COM Port) Cable for control it.

3) Wifi to TTL Interface via internal socket. Use TCP Client for connect to the device for control it. (I will also provide a virtual COM port software for map IP to COM)

For 1) , that is individual port. For 2) or 3) , you can selective to use one of it.

For 2) and 3) , it can done all the function. The most convenient way is use Wifi connection. But also that is the most expensive parts inside the controller.

For 1) , X10 only support ON , OFF , Bright and Dim. If you only use X10 function , that is difficult to tune the RGB value to your desire settings.(But that have 8 preset RGB setting map to 4 X10 address , if 8 settings is enough for you)

Comment

Very nice!

You mentioned a "fixed" wireless with a statically configured SSID.

Would there be a means or methodology to configure the WLAN card?

Maybe a JTAG connection? (JP3? - is this the TTL connection?)

Could the WLAN (wireless card) be modular and plugged in daughter board style rather than soldered to the main board such that it could be updated at a future date?

This part is a bit of a bottleneck as typically I do not configure the wireless access point for the devices but rather the devices for the access point.

Personally I would be fine with a simple X10 means of access; more to get a taste of just the ability to remote an RGB LED controller; even with on and off and bright and dim and 8 settings would be just fine to start with.

Most folks (and myself) would utilize the RGB controller for indoor LED lighting control. I am already testing RGB LED lighting outside and considering certain LED zones to be RGB; going baby steps with endeavor (its now been a couple of years).

Here I have converted my outdoor lighting to all LED. That said I am using individual 12VDC DIN power supplies on a rail to get me to the granularity pieces of multiple zones. I did just recently build a box such that I can have both switched and non switched AC to DC power supplies. Having written this I could also mount the RGB controller inside of the plastic box with the DIN rail / power supplies. Right now one of the power supplies is using a remote RF keypad and the rest are just fixed either on or off.

Attached is a picture of the AC to 12VDC "power supply box" - WAF states it's too big. I do today have some 10 plus zones of LED outdoor lighting in place and all controlled by one UPB power line relay. This is much easier than the legacy 4 1000 watt toroidal AC transformers with worked fine with multiple AC line voltages/ breakers but was a bit power hungry. That said I had issues turning these on as the powerline switching would kick off the breakers.

This is the first "test" container that I have made though and I wanted to have the option to modular mount power supplies inside of it.

Looking in the future for some means of remote controlling on the 12VDC side maybe using wireless shifting the power supply from AC to DC (batteries / solar power instead of AC line voltage). The box would change then and would have the battery charging/monitoring circuits stuff.

(it then also could have either Z-Wave, Zigbee or plan old wireless). Ideally a Z-Wave/Zigbee interface would have a bit more too it with control of the RGB lighting and monitoring of the voltage / batteries type stuff; which would indeed make for a bit more complex wireless interface; maybe pairing it up with a raspberry pi or arduino to give it some more intelligence?

BTW the box pictured below is part of a beta test in vivo of larger landscaping lighting endeavor. The endeavor does have a pond and waterfall as part of the little "beta" project. (garden walk with all kinds of LED lighting etc).

That said a remote controlled (RF) LED color changing set up is also part of this endeavor. The RF controller and power supply are sitting in a dry part of the waterfall pieces of the project and connected to a 120VAC power supply at this time.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; November 6, 2013, 12:04 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

VB Script for my Wifi RGB LED Controller

Pete , my Wifi RGB LED Controller , didn't fixed any SSID , you can select your existing Wifi network and join.

Just finish the VB Script and test on Homeseer v2.

Now is waiting for tailor make the aluminum case.

See the attach script and usage.

Thanks
              Kevin Lo
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Kevin! Great stuff!

Will test script on HS2 boxes.

I have been playing a bit now more with the HS3 boxes and lately now the Linux HS3 boxes. Have you had a look yet at HS3?

I would like to test the three modes of transport talking to the device; X10, TTL and Wifi if possible with Homeseer.

Thinking that I do already have a few of the TW-523 devices (legacy) and new XTB stuff.

I recently purchased a mini TTL to USB (RS-232 device) and wireless will be easy.

http://www.wayengineer.com/index.php...roducts_id=951

A network interface is a network interface. That said would it be possible to also add a wired network interface one like this:

http://www.wayengineer.com/index.php...roducts_id=973

Geez it would be neat to also power the RGB interface with POE and use the POE power supply to provide power for the LED lamps. Then it would be a one POE network cable to the controller with a power supply to the LED lamps. (going a bit further). I have not seen anything like this yet and you would be the first. (already have IP HD cams and Touchscreen tablets on POE)

Is there a short little Wireless antenna for use on the wireless on the external pieces of the controller? I have recently been playing with different small footprint wireless antennas experimenting with the Almond + (goofing around). Aside from running your new device on the Homeseer application the Almond + will not be released until the early part of 2014. I am a forum moderator at the Securifi forum. I am known as Pete there too.

That said there would also be interest here:

http://forum.securifi.com/index.php

The remote RGB controller that I installed recently for a friend goes to a stone water fall / water fountain in a garden.

That said the power supply and controller are sealed for installation outside to use 120VAC. Its OK but I don't like having to provide 120VAC outdoors for it. My preferences would be to run LV cable to the rock water fall underground from the inside of the house (your device would work better).

What will be your best guesstimate for time frame for selling the controller on your web site?

We are close to the holiday seasons here of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I typically install the holiday lighting at the end of the month or so. I would like to try to put in some color changing LED's outside with my holiday lighting.

I have been "experimenting" with some LED lamps that are sold in tiny very bright strips of 3 lamps. I recently purchased a bunch of warm white ones and will purchase red, blue, green and yellow lighting strips to experiment. A bit different than the string LED lamps sold.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; November 12, 2013, 05:49 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by vasco View Post
                  Well if there come also a WiFi plugin for HomeSeer to control that's also good off course. X10 runs very stable at my home over the power wires, do not use RF X10 modules. That serial will have a little slow reaction time is not a big issue for me. Most of the lightning is programmed and turns on, off, dim or bright at specific events (e.g. cinema mode), times and/or light/dark intervals.

Now I hope this will not became to expansive
                  Vasco , what is your e-mail ? I try to contact you via PM , but I cannot send a message to you.
                  Plug-in are ready and the case just finish. See attachment.
                  I make the plug-in can work with Multi Controller via Wifi. It work prefect for HS Web page and HSTouch.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I make some changes to my profile.
                    Can you send PM or e-mail now?

Comment

Originally posted by vasco View Post
                      I make some changes to my profile.
                      Can you send PM or e-mail now?
                      I just send you a PM.

Thanks

Comment

I'll beta test it for you. I have SEVERAL RGB LED strips around the house right now that would really be better with some automation!

Let me know how to paypal you for the hardware/etc.
                        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

iSmart Wifi RGB LED Controller

Today I just send few controller to the beta tester.
                          Hope those will receive within this week.

In this post attachment , it have :
                          User Manual for the Controller.
                          Homeseer Plug-in Manual and script API
                          Homeseer Plug-in for Wifi Version
                          Please also download the VB program for setup the controller's X10 and Preset X10 address.

http://www.x10-hk.com/store/download...etup_v1.00.zip

For the plug-in , that is quite simple , just copy the DLL to the homeseer directory. And copy the INI to the config directory.
                          Default device code id [1 , [2 , [3 and [4 for R,G,B and RGB Channel.

There is no config UI in the plug-in , all need to mod. the INI file.

To X10 version's User , when you receive the device , just provide 12V DC to the controller , plug the USB to TTL cable to the device TTL port. Connect RJ12 from X10 XM10 or TW523 to the PLC port.
                          Run the VB program , select the USB Virtual COM port and setup your X10 House and Unit Code and download to the controller. That's All. No need to install HS Plug-in.

To Wifi version's User , when you receive the device , connect 12V DC , follow the User Manual's instruction to join your exist Wifi network. Run the VB program and press the "Search Wifi Module" button for search the Wifi Module's IP address. And then mod. the INI file. Copy the DLL and INI file to their directory and restart the Homeseer.

If have any question , please e-mail to me or post in here.

Enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

What a neato device you have brought us Kevin!

Thank-you for providing us with a new device that we can control with Homeseer.

Merry Christmas to you!
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

You mean Merry Christmas to us

Perfect timing, I'll need one by Spring for the deck overhaul...
                              Was a price ever noted?

I'm assuming HS3 plugin after Beta?
                              Also, OK to use generic RGB repeaters for multiple strips?

Thanks,
                              Z

Comment

This is a very nice piece of hardware! hope it will be soon available in the ismart category

Comment

Working...
                                X