Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
    You mean Merry Christmas to us

Perfect timing, I'll need one by Spring for the deck overhaul...
    Was a price ever noted?

I'm assuming HS3 plugin after Beta?
    Also, OK to use generic RGB repeaters for multiple strips?

Thanks,
    Z
    I just looking into HS3's SDK , see how to make the plug-in work on HS3.

Yes , it should work on generic RGB repeaters , they just repeat the PWM from my controller. I will buy some RGB repeater for testing.

Comment

How fast can we send commands to the device without 1) overloading HS3 and 2) overloading the Wifi LED controller?

I'm wondering about perhaps automating with a musical bass-line controlling the light brightness, color, and matching to the pulse of the music for lack of better term.

With something bringing in analog signals (low-pass filtered music input), amplitude and frequency can control color and brightness.

Possible in real time?
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
        How fast can we send commands to the device without 1) overloading HS3 and 2) overloading the Wifi LED controller?

I'm wondering about perhaps automating with a musical bass-line controlling the light brightness, color, and matching to the pulse of the music for lack of better term.

With something bringing in analog signals (low-pass filtered music input), amplitude and frequency can control color and brightness.

Possible in real time?
        For the prototype development , I use VB to send the RGB data , for me , that is real-time , less than 1sec or 500ms
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Bb_KnrrJk

Let the beta user and feedback their testing result , see is that "real-time"

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Lo View Post
          Let the beta user and feedback their testing result, see is that "real-time"
          When the test version of iSmart WiFi RGB arrives I will do timing tests with HomeSeer. Shall do tests with the VB software, HomeSeer WiFi plug-in, HomeSeer X10 (XM10 came in yesterday) and KAKU remote to HomeSeer actions/events (RFXCom interface).

Report the results here after the tests.

@Kevin,
          I already downloaded the software and manuals from above (post 42) and all setup is ready in HomeSeer to do tests. Your manuals are very clear written and easy to understand.
          Last edited by vasco; December 5, 2013, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post

Possible in real time?
            huggy_d1 , according to your suggestion , I take a look into how to "convert" a music into RGB value. For software solution , the most similar project is Winamp plugin.
            http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2956514
            But as I know , AOL already announce Winamp will stop to download from 20/12/2013.

Comment

Neato device. Playing right now with it Kevin.

Looking to automate a bit more than just LED's with it.

Going baby steps though with it.

Very well constructed. Very well written documentation.

I was able to connect to it and test it out with no issues.

I plugged in into a TW-523 and set the house codes.

I downloaded them to the device. I then read them but the serial com quit talking.

Is there a way to monitor all com to the device while I program it?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2013, 04:35 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bad cable to TW523. I made up a new one. Connected it.

Adding more X-10 devices to HS2 and using FF created a MS error with one device; now an added orphan (duplicate device).

Guess will go back to IE and try it again. Shut down HS, restarted it. I then went to IE and deleted orphan X10 device (duplicate). Worked.

Talking now fine to TW-523 and I can see everything via the RS232 interface.

It would be nice also to create a serial interface using the TTL connection for a direct serial plugin; such that the options for control would be:

1 - serially via the TTL connection and later can also do a proprietary wireless connection to it using a wireless serial bridges.
                2 - X10 (and UPB with a two way interface plugged in)
                3 - wirelessly

All using the same plugin.

That said will test the wireless afterwards. (this would be controlling the LV lighting on storage batteries at a later date).

So I can do 36 watts per channel max I am guessing eh?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2013, 06:31 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Bad cable to TW523. I made up a new one. Connected it.

Adding more X-10 devices to HS2 and using FF created a MS error with one device; now an added orphan (duplicate device).

Guess will go back to IE and try it again. Shut down HS, restarted it. I then went to IE and deleted orphan X10 device (duplicate). Worked.

Talking now fine to TW-523 and I can see everything via the RS232 interface.

It would be nice also to create a serial interface using the TTL connection for a direct serial plugin; such that the options for control would be:

1 - serially via the TTL connection and later can also do a proprietary wireless connection to it using a wireless serial bridges.
                  2 - X10 (and UPB with a two way interface plugged in)
                  3 - wirelessly

All using the same plugin.

That said will test the wireless afterwards. (this would be controlling the LV lighting on storage batteries at a later date).

So I can do 36 watts per channel max I am guessing eh?
                  Dear Pete ,

Each channel max is 6A = 72W
                  1) Once you download the setting in the controller and connect to TW523 , did it work via standard X10 command ? (Respond On , Off , Bright and Dim for 4 main address , and respond On and Off for 4 preset address ?)

2) Pete , your controlled LED is Mono color or RGB LED Stripe ?

3) I think in this moment , the plug-in only work for Wifi version. Since RS232 version is not practical , i don't think the controller will install nearby the Homeseer server. So user may install TTL to Ethernet adapter. If they go for TTL to Ethernet adapter , why don't go for Wifi version directly ?

Thanks

Comment

Each channel max is 6A = 72W
                    Thank you Kevin.

1) Once you download the setting in the controller and connect to TW523 , did it work via standard X10 command ? (Respond On , Off , Bright and Dim for 4 main address
                    Yes

and respond On and Off for 4 preset address ?)
                    Will test shortly.

2) Pete , your controlled LED is Mono color or RGB LED Stripe ?
                    Testing with RGB LED Stripe. Wanting to test mono color too.

i don't think the controller will install nearby the Homeseer server.
                    The current multiple power supplies for the LV LED lighting is currently some 20 feet from the homeseer box. So far all of the controller devices; 20 plus; connected to Homeseer are serial, USB, networked USB or networked serial. I have no wirelessly connected controllers connected to Homeseer today.

So user may install TTL to Ethernet adapter. If they go for TTL to Ethernet adapter , why don't go for Wifi version directly ?
                    I will be trying wifi too. Initially though I would like to try a TTL to ethernet connection.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I will be trying wifi too. Initially though I would like to try a TTL to ethernet connection.
                      I am also thinking to build a device , that plug to the TTL port and convert it into Ethernet. There have many of this kind PCB on market , but without encloser. If the product with encloser , most of it is RS232 to Ethernet , not TTL to Ethernet.

Comment

Yup; found a small; but not small enough ethernet to TTL interface.

Curious about pins number 11-14 on the RGB controller wireless card?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; December 7, 2013, 03:06 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yup; found a small; but not small enough ethernet to TTL interface.

Curious about pins number 11-14 on the RGB controller wireless card?
                          Yes , you can find this kind of TTL to Ethernet module easily , but all is without a case for house it.

I didn't use Pin 11 to pin 14. That have another function for extend the Ethernet port. But I test that function , not good enough. So I give up the wireless module 's Ethernet function.

Thanks

Comment

Thank you Kevin.

Curious if there is a way to tweak the current TTL/Serial USB connection such that the plugin works both with the wireless and the serial connection.

Playing with the serial connection; it does appear to be pretty quick at changing stuff. Guessing its about the same speed or could be faster that the wireless connection because of wireless RF propagation anyways.
                            Last edited by Pete; December 8, 2013, 02:01 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thank you Kevin.

Curious if there is a way to tweak the current TTL/Serial USB connection such that the plugin works both with the wireless and the serial connection.

Playing with the serial connection; it does appear to be pretty quick at changing stuff. Guessing its about the same speed or could be faster that the wireless connection because of wireless RF propagation anyways.
                              I need to check , see how to add support on serial connection in the plug-in.
                              My controller is using standard 802.11 b/g/n connection , not using RF.
                              Suppose there is no different between Wifi connection and Serial connection.
                              Since both talk with micro controller in 9600bps .

Pete , in serial connection , is that nearly "real-time" for changing RGB color ?

Comment

Thank-you Kevin.

Today I utilize 802.11 b/g/n for laptops, netbooks, tablets et al.

That said the wireless network is autonomous from the hard wired network.

Relating to automation and communications to the mothership; my personal preferences are for hardwired devices only; IE: wired network control devices suit me fine. (albeit that I have been providing resilience to the network in a slow baby steps methodology).

in serial connection , is that nearly "real-time" for changing RGB color ?
                                Yup; on my desk and concurrently making a change and watching; it's "real-time" for changing RGB color.

Then again my eyes are older and change is relatively slower these days; but I want everything to happen faster than yesterday.

Its never fast enough for me.
                                Last edited by Pete; December 9, 2013, 11:20 AM.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X