Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RFXtrx433 supports now 2 dx.com RGB LED strip controllers.

This one has a learn option and any ID can be used.
    http://dx.com/p/rf-remote-touch-rgb-controller-130913

This one has a fixed ID and the ID of the remote must be used
    http://dx.com/p/wireless-touch-panel...ip-light-67412

A beta version of the RFXCOM plug-in with support for the RGB LED controller is available on request.
    Attached Files

Comment

The iSmart WiFi LED RGB controller from Kevin Lo arrived and I did the first setup and tests with it. Here is my first impression.

The installation to connect with my WiFi network was very simple and good documented in the manual. Just did as documented and up in about 5 minutes.

Now I installed the setup software to see if the controller functions are all ok. Connection made and go with my mouse over the colors in the left upper corner. Everything goes well. Just try the on/off buttons at the right upper corner and that's also working. Nice fade out when turning off, the fade in time is to quick/not as beautiful as the fade out. Maybe I need to set this up because there is something like fade-time control in the documentation.

Setup the X10 codes/addresses with the software and uploaded to the device. Connected the XM10 with the cable to the module. Added HomeSeer devices for the X10 codes/addresses. Now started control this with the HomeSeer webpage by clicking the X10 devices. Works nice but reaction time between click and action is about 1 second. Doesn't matter for what kind of device, just direct color or preset.

Setup the HomeSeer plug-in of this controller. After edit the ini-file with the (virtual) device codes and restart HomeSeer the devices shows in the device list. Click them on, off and select a direct dim value works beautiful and much faster than through XM10 (< 1 second).

This was my first tests and all basics work very well. Control through WiFi is faster than with XM10 but I cannot say that's real time. Over X10 (XM10) there is at least 1 second delay between switch and action. Not imported when it's for normal daily light control, but someone here would control with music and X10 is not the way to go. Over WiFi the controller response is faster (< 1 second) but also not real time. You can see a (very) small delay between switch and action so if this is good enough for music control I doubt too.

This coming weekend I will fit the controller with my curtain LED light strip in the living room and create events in HomeSeer to see what it do in daily automation scheme. Also I will look into the fade on time if it's possible to set it like the fade off time (fade off is much smoother than fade on).

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post

A beta version of the RFXCOM plug-in with support for the RGB LED controller is available on request.
        Also nice to read that there will come more options these days where people can choose from. There are lot of people with HomeSeer that also own a RFXCom module.

I would love to have this plug-in for future use.

Comment

Originally posted by vasco View Post
          The iSmart WiFi LED RGB controller from Kevin Lo arrived and I did the first setup and tests with it. Here is my first impression.

The installation to connect with my WiFi network was very simple and good documented in the manual. Just did as documented and up in about 5 minutes.

Now I installed the setup software to see if the controller functions are all ok. Connection made and go with my mouse over the colors in the left upper corner. Everything goes well. Just try the on/off buttons at the right upper corner and that's also working. Nice fade out when turning off, the fade in time is to quick/not as beautiful as the fade out. Maybe I need to set this up because there is something like fade-time control in the documentation.

Setup the X10 codes/addresses with the software and uploaded to the device. Connected the XM10 with the cable to the module. Added HomeSeer devices for the X10 codes/addresses. Now started control this with the HomeSeer webpage by clicking the X10 devices. Works nice but reaction time between click and action is about 1 second. Doesn't matter for what kind of device, just direct color or preset.

Setup the HomeSeer plug-in of this controller. After edit the ini-file with the (virtual) device codes and restart HomeSeer the devices shows in the device list. Click them on, off and select a direct dim value works beautiful and much faster than through XM10 (< 1 second).

This was my first tests and all basics work very well. Control through WiFi is faster than with XM10 but I cannot say that's real time. Over X10 (XM10) there is at least 1 second delay between switch and action. Not imported when it's for normal daily light control, but someone here would control with music and X10 is not the way to go. Over WiFi the controller response is faster (< 1 second) but also not real time. You can see a (very) small delay between switch and action so if this is good enough for music control I doubt too.

This coming weekend I will fit the controller with my curtain LED light strip in the living room and create events in HomeSeer to see what it do in daily automation scheme. Also I will look into the fade on time if it's possible to set it like the fade off time (fade off is much smoother than fade on).
          Dear Vasco ,

I test the fade on and fade off in my office , I can't reproduce the problem. Let me check the firmware code in detail and get back to you.
          You can also test the Polling function and status update. Everytime you turn ON the RGB stripe , it will return the update status value to Homeseer.
          (Two way communication) And you can also test the slider bar in HSTouch , all should work fine in the plug-in.

For the respond time , if you set the Fade Rate (Ramp Rate in the setting software) , set to 1 , then it will change immediately. It should be a little bit faster.

Thanks

Comment

WinAmp plug-in

Just for fun , I am working for the WinAmp plug-in.
            I can make it work now , but the current firmware version (v1.08) not fast enough , have 1 to 2 secs delay , since the command have ACK feedback , so I mod. the new firmware , add two command without ACK feedback , then the respond speed is a little bit faster.

I create the plug-in base on WinAmp VBLink
            http://www.winamp.com/plugin/winamp-vblink/24837

Once finish , I will post the plug-in in here. Old firmware will also work for this plug-in , but it will have a little bit delay.

This plug-in is base on VB6 and control via Wifi connection.
            If anyone interesting in , I can also post this Winamp plug-in VB Project Source Code in here.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post

This one has a learn option and any ID can be used.
              http://dx.com/p/rf-remote-touch-rgb-controller-130913

This one has a fixed ID and the ID of the remote must be used
              http://dx.com/p/wireless-touch-panel...ip-light-67412

Very nice! I just ordered one to try out. Now, if they would only make a MR16 lamp able to work on the 433mhz. I could then replace all my outdoor low voltage lighting with them, and control the exact color via Homeseer. That would be great for different times of the year (holiday colors, etc).

Comment

There are some MR-16 color bulbs, but now sure they run on 433mhz. Look at eBay and search for MR-16 color. I've bought some last year but never installed them, it's for a future project. I really like the setup that can be controlled by the RFXCOM. Will this work in the US?
                Last edited by bernieb; December 11, 2013, 12:41 PM. Reason: Ask additional question

Comment

WinAmp plug-in

1) Extract the zip file , copy the dll to \windows\system32
                  2) Download and install WinAmp
                  3) Run the WinAmpPlugin.exe as administrator
                  4) In WinAmp -> Option -> Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Visualization -> Select WinAmp VBLink and press start. A VBLink will pop Up
                  5) In the plugin , input your IP , Port and select the firmware version 1.08 and then press "Open"
                  6) Play the music in the WinAmp , then it will stream the command according to the Left Channel VU Meter bar

Remark :
                  1) The plug-in will change R -> G -> B , the Change Color Interval settings is set for the change color interval time , 100 = 10secs
                  2) If you don't use the plug-in , remember to press the "Close" button for close the TCP socket , since it will stream the data to the controller every 10ms , even WinAmp not playing the music.

Have Fun!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Lo View Post
                    1) Extract the zip file , copy the dll to \windows\system32
                    2) Download and install WinAmp
                    3) Run the WinAmpPlugin.exe as administrator
                    4) In WinAmp -> Option -> Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Visualization -> Select WinAmp VBLink and press start. A VBLink will pop Up
                    5) In the plugin , input your IP , Port and select the firmware version 1.08 and then press "Open"
                    6) Play the music in the WinAmp , then it will stream the command according to the Left Channel VU Meter bar

Remark :
                    1) The plug-in will change R -> G -> B , the Change Color Interval settings is set for the change color interval time , 100 = 10secs
                    2) If you don't use the plug-in , remember to press the "Close" button for close the TCP socket , since it will stream the data to the controller every 10ms , even WinAmp not playing the music.

Have Fun!
                    I can't wait to try this out!

Are dim levels also controllable via the winamp plug-in?

Something like this:

low-frequency hits certain colors (definable in your plugin?)
                    overall average volume level affects dim levels with louder being brighter

Is this what is there and I missed it?
                    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
                      I can't wait to try this out!

Are dim levels also controllable via the winamp plug-in?

Something like this:

low-frequency hits certain colors (definable in your plugin?)
                      overall average volume level affects dim levels with louder being brighter

Is this what is there and I missed it?
                      huggy_d1

>>overall average volume level affects dim levels with louder being brighter

Now I only get the data from VU Meter Left Channel , and R G B color is change every 10 secs. The led dim levels is according to overall average volume level.

I think if I spend more time on the plug-in , I can get the data from Spectrum Analyzer , for example :
                      low - frequency hit Red
                      mid - frequency hit Green
                      high - frequency hit Blue

Also I can check with the input data, if no input from the music , I will close the TCP connection automatically. Since now once open the port , it will stream the data continually. Even you didn't play the music ,still will send R G B (0,0,0) to the controller.

Comment

huggy_d1

>>overall average volume level affects dim levels with louder being brighter

Now I only get the data from VU Meter Left Channel , and R G B color is change every 10 secs. The led dim levels is according to overall average volume level.

I think if I spend more time on the plug-in , I can get the data from Spectrum Analyzer , for example :
                        low - frequency hit Red
                        mid - frequency hit Green
                        high - frequency hit Blue

Also I can check with the input data, if no input from the music , I will close the TCP connection automatically. Since now once open the port , it will stream the data continually. Even you didn't play the music ,still will send R G B (0,0,0) to the controller.
                        Ok, left channel if fine as I would think bass is in both channels for the "pulse" effect I'm looking at.

In a parallel path solution, I'm sourcing several rasp pi A/D interface widgets to see if I can attach a mic input to the pi through a low-pass filter on one channel, and appropriate cap on the other analog input channel to get current average signal level. A simple c or python script can then accept the input and activate signals to the rgb led controller.

This would give a very nice effect when playing music.
                        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I test the fade on and fade off in my office , I can't reproduce the problem. Let me check the firmware code in detail and get back to you.
                          I played around yesterday with the ramp rate and now the fade in and out when turning on and off are fine. I already thought/read that it was adjustable. So this was not a problem but something I had to tune to my needs.

You can also test the Polling function and status update. Everytime you turn ON the RGB stripe , it will return the update status value to Homeseer.
                          (Two way communication) And you can also test the slider bar in HSTouch , all should work fine in the plug-in.
                          This weekend I'm going to connect the curtain LED strip to the module and create automation events for it. I also going to make changes to my HSTouch panel to add dimming control for the module and see how this part works.

Will also create KAKU events (RFXCom to CM15Pro and iSmart WiFi) for a KAKU RF remote. If all work correct HomeSeer can poll the status and show that on the home screen.

For the respond time , if you set the Fade Rate (Ramp Rate in the setting software) , set to 1 , then it will change immediately. It should be a little bit faster.
                          As I wrote, for daily domotica light control it's fine and the (little) delay is not an issue here. For a domotica environment I like the fade rate and do not need a direct quick response. Only if music control with HomeSeer is a wish than the response is not good enough. I already notice that you wrote a special plug-in for Winamp about the music control wish.

Only notice, WinAmp stops producing there software till December 20, 2013. From there website;
                          Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
                          Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
                          So far, your LED WiFi controller looks good to go with HomeSeer plug-in for domotica environments.

Comment

Received notification of device delivery. I guess this weekend will be interesting finding out how far and how well I can push this device and bend it to my whimsical and possibly musical ideas.

Tonight I'm home alone for a few hours. I hope to have good news to report about a successful HS3 integration and begin testing in earnest.
                            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

For the Kevin Lo/Automated @ Home controller:

I see set fade level. Is that like how long it takes to transition between color setting commands? Or, is that the dim/brightness level?

Is there a "get" for each set, or is that available immediately from the associated HS devices? I'd like the controller to be able to tell me via the plug-in, but if it is best left to ask HS for the device status, I can certainly do that.

Are there any vb.net scripts folks have written yet?

I want to create a custom 'turn on the tv' event that pulses all the colors, goes through the various dim levels, just like when computers POST, etc. and then fade into the desired custom color and just kind of slowly pulse until a certain amount of time has expired (10 seconds or so), and then settle down to the desired custom color and dim level.

I can probably do that with HS events, but with a script running in a separate thread, it keeps HS more responsive, or at least, that's the theory.

-- separate concern --
                              If I use the winamp plug-in, am I going to see crazy device behavior for the led controller devices in HS? I wonder if when the winamp plugin connects, a separate HS device, maybe named, HS Control - disabled remotely, and then any events that might be trying to set color/dim levels will not fire and disrupt the winamp plugin.

Random thoughts.
                              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Huggy,
                                Which led lights are you using with this?
                                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                                X