Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank-you Kevin! Great stuff!

Will you be providing an HS3 plugin soon?

Here mostly testing in Linux and have tested one HS3 plugin so far to work well in Wintel and Linux and standalone talking to the mothership in both Wintel and linux.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
      This I would like to see. There is a spec I think from THX for a specific hue of blue that will enhance the overall theater experience.

Heres a video as example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU1DKj4RfVA
      exact kit I am using.. only difference is I built a wall unit and will be mounting the LED's on the border pointed toward the TV..
      Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Well received 2 more WIFI controllers today and the setup was very easy, all three up and running in HS.

Thanks again Kevin for this awesome setup

Cheers Ken
        HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
          Any ETA on when the Ethernet & TTL port version will be available?
          I've test this TTL to Ethernet modue. It work fine.
          http://en.usr.cn/Ethernet-Module-T24...-tcp-ip-module

I can only find a case that fit for the PCB , but there is no suitable hole to fix the PCB in the case , so I just use the glue to fix it.

And then direct plug to the TTL port of the controller. (Controller will supply DC 3.3V to the module)

Then it will become ethernet version.(Noted that , the without Wifi version , will not have antenna attach.)
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Thank-you Kevin! Great stuff!

Will you be providing an HS3 plugin soon?

Here mostly testing in Linux and have tested one HS3 plugin so far to work well in Wintel and Linux and standalone talking to the mothership in both Wintel and linux.
            Pete , HS3 plugin , still working on it. Not easy , since for HS2 plugin , one of forum user send me the template to me , I just mod. and fine tune it.
            But for HS3 , nearly build in from scratch ....

Comment

Thank-you Kevin.

Your plugin in TTL-USB mode is working great!

I am looking forward to your new HS3 plugin and sincerely appreciate your efforts.

The TTL-Ethernet / USB using the Digi Anywhere USB endeavor is next for me to try.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

Originally posted by thymer View Post
                How many of the dx.com devices could the plugin support at the same time?
                A massive amount! The plugin just mimics a remote id. There are three id fields, each two digits, and it's hex, so you can do the math...

I have two of these. They work great. You do not get individual red, green, and blue level control though. You get the same buttons as the remote has, and a slider which represents the color wheel spectrum. So you can still get all of the colors (not as many as Kevin's controller, but still the full spectrum). I will use these where exact color control is not so important, as they are cheaper, and I already had RFXCOM. I still want to get Kevin's controller too though, as it will have more finite control, and more colors if each primary color can truly be controlled with 255 values.

Comment

I have created an extremely basic plugin for three of Kevin's RGB controllers just to try it out, I don't intend to do any more work on it as I have no use for it (I am not using HS3) but might be worthwhile as a head start for someone? I have it controlling my RGB controller over wireless network. The serial option also is not working and needs someone to add the code to it although that would be relatively simple to do I just didn't have the port settings.

If it works for you then consider it a bonus...It is also only one way, getting two way communications involving multi threading I just don't want the headache with at the minute. The HSPI_RGB3P.exe file is in the HomeSeer folder and can just be dropped into the main HS directory.
                  Last edited by mrhappy; May 29, 2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                    I have created an extremely basic plugin for three of Kevin's RGB controllers just to try it out, I don't intend to do any more work on it as I have no use for it (I am not using HS3) but might be worthwhile as a head start for someone? I have it controlling my RGB controller over wireless network. The serial option also is not working and needs someone to add the code to it although that would be relatively simple to do I just didn't have the port settings.

If it works for you then consider it a bonus...It is also only one way, getting two way communications involving multi threading I just don't want the headache with at the minute. The HSPI_RGB3P.exe file is in the HomeSeer folder and can just be dropped into the main HS directory.
                    Thanks for posting , I am placing a controller on order as we speak !!

Geary

Comment

Ouch.. where is the coupon code

Comment

Thank you Mr Happy!
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
                          Ouch.. where is the coupon code
                          Is this the correct link or is there a US store?
                          http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...94648488813244

It is pretty pricey, but I don't want that to sound like a complaint. However, it will make me change how I architect my setup. Right now, I have strip lights controlled with regular switches and I want to continue to be able to do that, so I think that means I need to run a pair of LV power wire from the plug that is controlled by a switch, back to my wiring room where I will centralize the iSmart devices (probably 2 for a total of 6 zones), and then four wires back to the LED strips. That will be a ton of extra wire and work, but required based on the price.

For me, it defeats the purpose of these being WiFi - everything will already be centralized right next to networking infrastructure.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I could just order the PLCBUS version for $133 USD, then I would order three of these (3 is the minimum) to allow it to work with Ethernet:
                          http://en.usr.cn/RS232-serial-to-eth...-tcp-ip-module
                          (are there other sources for this that don't require you to order 3??)

What about the case for the Ethernet module and the wire to connect it to the iSmart?

But even as I think about it, this probably isn't a workable solution - if I have three zones controlled by three separate switches, as soon as I turn one on, it would power the iSmart, which would turn on all three zones. I do realize I could use Homeseer to turn the zones on and off, but it is a requirement for me to have local control.

Is there a different way to do this? I can't do 6 different iSmarts to control 6 zones (I'd probably only need 4 to control 6 zones, but still too much).

To sum up my actual requirement - 6 zones controlled by 4 separate traditional switches. When a switch is turned on, then Homeseer can control the LED Strips on that switch; when a switch is turned off, Homeseer couldn't control the lights.

Thanks,
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scott12v View Post
                            Is this the correct link or is there a US store?
                            http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...94648488813244

It is pretty pricey, but I don't want that to sound like a complaint. However, it will make me change how I architect my setup. Right now, I have strip lights controlled with regular switches and I want to continue to be able to do that, so I think that means I need to run a pair of LV power wire from the plug that is controlled by a switch, back to my wiring room where I will centralize the iSmart devices (probably 2 for a total of 6 zones), and then four wires back to the LED strips. That will be a ton of extra wire and work, but required based on the price.

For me, it defeats the purpose of these being WiFi - everything will already be centralized right next to networking infrastructure.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I could just order the PLCBUS version for $133 USD, then I would order three of these (3 is the minimum) to allow it to work with Ethernet:
                            http://en.usr.cn/RS232-serial-to-eth...-tcp-ip-module
                            (are there other sources for this that don't require you to order 3??)

What about the case for the Ethernet module and the wire to connect it to the iSmart?

But even as I think about it, this probably isn't a workable solution - if I have three zones controlled by three separate switches, as soon as I turn one on, it would power the iSmart, which would turn on all three zones. I do realize I could use Homeseer to turn the zones on and off, but it is a requirement for me to have local control.

Is there a different way to do this? I can't do 6 different iSmarts to control 6 zones (I'd probably only need 4 to control 6 zones, but still too much).

To sum up my actual requirement - 6 zones controlled by 4 separate traditional switches. When a switch is turned on, then Homeseer can control the LED Strips on that switch; when a switch is turned off, Homeseer couldn't control the lights.

Thanks,
                            Scott
                            Scott,
                            Do your switches for local control also report the status change to HS? If so, you can use that to trigger the wifi LED controllers to turn on the output.

What you might be missing is that the 12V/24V DC supply could be locally controlled by the wall switch which would then power up the LED controller.

Once the controller is powered, it should restore to the last known setting for when it powered off.

For me, it is figuring out where to hide the power brick that is making 12V @ 6A to make a truly seamless and hidden system. In the wall is a fire hazard, and dangling from an outlet is visually obtrusive. Then there is the question of where to put the wifi controller, same issues.

For a couple of my outdoor applications, I can get "plastic" electrical boxes, insert the components, run main power in, and provide LED rgb out. Then the antenna can send/receive signals and be protected from the elements. Indoors, well, I can't stuff this stuff into the walls and like you already stated, what's the point [of wifi ] if I'm simply putting it onto a wall in the garage/etc. and running wires everywhere.
                            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post

How do I install you plug in

Thanks Ken
                              HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
                                Scott,
                                Do your switches for local control also report the status change to HS? If so, you can use that to trigger the wifi LED controllers to turn on the output.

What you might be missing is that the 12V/24V DC supply could be locally controlled by the wall switch which would then power up the LED controller.

Once the controller is powered, it should restore to the last known setting for when it powered off.

For me, it is figuring out where to hide the power brick that is making 12V @ 6A to make a truly seamless and hidden system. In the wall is a fire hazard, and dangling from an outlet is visually obtrusive. Then there is the question of where to put the wifi controller, same issues.

For a couple of my outdoor applications, I can get "plastic" electrical boxes, insert the components, run main power in, and provide LED rgb out. Then the antenna can send/receive signals and be protected from the elements. Indoors, well, I can't stuff this stuff into the walls and like you already stated, what's the point [of wifi ] if I'm simply putting it onto a wall in the garage/etc. and running wires everywhere.
                                Nope, for the most part, these particular switches aren't controlled by Homeseer and there is no real plan for them to be (really for $ reasons - there is just no need for these particular switches to be automated).

But, I think I understand what you are saying and that should work...and is quite obvious in retrospect. Basically, I would locate the iSmart centrally, run just two wires from the iSmart back to the LED strip (just the wires for color, not for power) and then the other two wires would come from a local power supply rather than the iSmart. Fortunately, the areas where I am using the LED strips indoors are easy to hide the power bricks (under a bar and behind a projection screen that has a false wall). I haven't quite figured out how I am going to handle doing my outside runs yet...I have a bad feeling that running some more conduit is in the future. I have lots of power and LV lighting outside, and don't have a problem using Powerline Ethernet, but I still need to run the wires for color control....

Thanks for the response!

Comment

Working...
                                X