email stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email stopped working

I have been using HS email feature for years. This weekend it stopped working, but email to/from Thunderbird continues to function normally.

Provider is Time Warner / Roadrunner

I use email to send both conventional email messages and text messages (to my phone). All were working normally last Friday. HS sends me a routine email every morning at about 1:30. One copy goes to my TW account and another to a Yahoo account. Neither arrived Saturday or Sunday or today. No error messages in the HS log.

Attempts to manually send an email from HS today have all failed, whether to TW, Yahoo, or phone.

Troubleshooting suggestions please.
    Last edited by Uncle Michael; September 30, 2013, 04:44 PM.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

The first thing I would check is make sure TW didn't close your port. Port 25 is the usual port, not 100% sure how HS handles email. But I know ISPs love to close port 25 randomly (from mail coming form unknown servers).

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12982

Comment

Good idea. I tried the test, and it says connection is allowed.

I should also add that email from mcsSprinklers (running on a different computer) is still working normally as is my emial on my routine PC and my wife's email on her PC. That seems to narrow the problem to either the HS computer or HS itself. Am I jumping to a conclusion?
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Restarting HS fixed it

I decided to try restarting HS. Shutdown was normal until it got to email. At that point the shutdown hung. Task manager could not shut down the program, but was able to kill the process. Restarting went smoothly and HS can now send emails again.
        Last edited by Uncle Michael; December 29, 2013, 07:27 PM. Reason: fix typo ('not' --> 'now')

Comment

Looks like all the email providers are now requiring SSL which is not supported by HS2 but is in HS3.

Has anyone come up with a solution for sending email in HS2?

Comment

Look for stunnel
            It provides ssl email connections to HS2
            - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
            HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Working...
            X