Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from HAL2000 to Homeseer help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from HAL2000 to Homeseer help needed.

I am considering upgrading from HAL to Homeseer and am still not clear on what I need to do about hardware.
    I have the HAL modem installed. I guess Homeseer doesn't support them? Does it? Do I still need the phone switch hardware? Can my modem work with the phone switch? Will the rev-1 switch provide the same functionality as that I have with HAL?
    I've been playing with the trial version for a while, but haven't been able to make anything work with my phone system. Wish HS would make this transition a little easier.

Thanks for any feedback,

Nathan

I was also considering HAL2000 prior to selecting HomeSeer. I think the HAL2000 modem is NOT supported, though only Rich would be 100% sure. If it is TAPI compliant it *should* work.

However, the favored modem for HomeSeer is the Hawking PN576V, which costs less than $25 at several online stores.

I think HomeSeer has a steeper learning curve because so much of the [cool] functionality is provided through the scripting interface, with many scripts developed and supported by its users.

This is of course also a great strength as the functionality continues to increase as the user base enlarges.

This message board is a phenomenal resource for HomeSeer users - for exchange of information as well as scripts, plug-ins, etc. (most of which is free). Check out the board and you will see. Rich, the primary developer, is also an active participant on the boards, welcomes feedback, and provides constant updates to the software.

Good luck and have fun!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am in a similar boat. I have an old version of HAL. My automation PC died before I really was able to get into it, but when I got HAL they did not have the HAL Modem. On their site they recommended a specific model of Creative Labs Modem Blaster (56k), which I purchased. Will HomeSeer work with one of these as well? Anything crucially different between this and the modem that HS reccomends?

Thanks,

Brain21

Comment

A little further investigation...

It seems that in order to get the phone support that HAL has natively (controlling your HA system either from within the house over the phone or by calling home and using the phone), you must spend an additional $170 for the phone switch & phone software. Is this correct?

Can I use Home Seer for everything, but use HAL for the phone functions? I.e. have them both running at the same time on the same PC. I would set up HAL to receive the status of devices and send out X-10 messages ONLY if done via the phone, and not with other inputs (if that is possible). HS would do everything else.

Once you add on the voice and phone features of HS, the price starts getting really close to HAL!

Brain21

Comment

The best phone solution is to use our Way2Call hi-phone device. While it is somewhat expensive, it is far superior to a voice modem. The sound quality is better and so is the reliability. When you purchase the device, it includes the HomeSeer phone software, so its really not a bad deal.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
          website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Hmm... $300 for that Way2Call thing, plus the $70 - $80 for HomeSeer. It is looking less and less like an affordable alternative to HAL. :-(

What are the OTHER hidden costs to get it to equal out of the box functionality of other products?

Brain21

Comment

There is a lot more to consider other than cost. There are many more features in HomeSeer that HAL does not have. Also, the Hi-Phone device is superior to any voice modem, in sound quality, features, and reliability.

There are no other costs involved other than your automation hardware.

-Rich

Comment

Well- you do have to shell out for some third party software unlike with HAL. For example, the NAPCO software is free with HAL but not with Homeseer. I believe the CM11A interface costs a few dollars too.

Can someone verify?

Basically, with everything- the costs are equivalent (IMHO). Go with features when making your selection.
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Be careful when comparing included software features. Yes HAL may include support for Napco and HAI, but the HS implementations offer you far more features.

Note that support for most hardware like X10 controllers and Infrared controllers is included for free. The open architecture of HomeSeer makes it easy for developers to provide support for third party hardware. HAL does not offer anything like this.

-Rich

Comment

The information you receive from this board and the support from people dealing with third party products alone is well worth the price of homeseer. I agree that using the Way2Call modem is pricy, but it's not the only way to have hs work with your phone. It's just the best way for hs to work with your phone.

Jerry
                    ________
                    Universal health
                    Last edited by Jerry Coleman; May 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I have used both, I started with HAL2000 full version. I liked it very much. As my needs and taste for expansion grew, I began to research other products. I found HomeSeer. It was a slight learning curve at first, but I haven't looked back. In fact, I have both running (in different locations) and they both suit my needs well. In my humble opinion each has it's place and offers things that the other does not or that one does better than the other. In my experience, the support has been great on both. One thing I can say about HS it's constantly changing and for a tinker'r like myself, it keeps me interested. I never get bored trying new scripts or suggestions. It also provides the web access that I need. HAL lacks a web server, requires a special modem if you want to use the phone/answering function and comes up short on some other things that are important to me. In short, choose what will work best for you and your needs. If it were my money, given today's market, I would go with HS.

Peace,

Dave

Comment

I have use HAL2000 for a couple of years, and just recently switched to HomeSeer. HomeSeer wins hands down on support, hardware, configerable and power. This board with all of it's technical advice is worth it alone. HomeSeer does require more tinkering and a greater learning curve than does HAL, but HAL limits what you can do and with what. HomeSeer is completely scalable and the sky is the limit with custom scripts and plugins, try that with HAL. I love the ability to experiment and code until really cool things happen with my system, no bordom here!
                        -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
                        VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
                        Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

for the input, welcome aboard.

Peace,

Dave

Comment

Looks like Homeseer bashing on the HAL forums http://www.automatedliving.com/phpbb...t=569&start=80
                            Jon

Comment

Working...
                            X