Garden Light Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Light Timing

Hi All,,, I have garden lighting I use with HS and as we live in the great white north ( well some times, in central Ontario Can) we get snow. When we get snow I do not want the garden lights coming on. I have been manually suspending the event Garden Lighting that does this then reactivate it again in the spring when the snow is gone.
    Of course we all see the problem here is the word " Manually" this is Home Automation right ??

I have changed my events to the following and was wondering if I have done this right or if there are any suggestions on how to do it right or more efficient. What I want to do is run the event Garden Lighting from April 01 of any year and then have it stop running on Nov 01 of any year until April comes around again. Hope you get the drift here, no pun intended about that being "snow" drift,,,

So I created an event that turns the lights on in the condition of after 01/04/Y and this has been working fine turning the lights on.
    I then created an event STOP Garden Lighting which is set to cancel event Garden Lighting after 01/11/Y

Now interesting thing was when the STOP event ran the first time it ran every minute from 8:35pm ???? until midnight ?? don't have any idea what was going on there. It has not shown up again in the log.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thank

Another method for an event might be to use time of day as a Trigger but also use Temp as a condition. So if the outside temp is above 10C or 55C there probably won't be any snow if the temp is that high during the evening when u need to run the lights.

If u don't have a weather station or some means of populating the outside temp Ultra has a cool app called WeatherBug that can poll data from near by weather stations.

Of course you would define the temp condition more to what would suit your local conditions there in central Ontario.

On another note I've been up to central Ontario. Amazing summer camping/fishing and it get rocks with snow in the winter.

Sent from my 09l_v77_gq1008_a41_v20 using Tapatalk
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Here noticed that when the outdoor lighting was halogen; it would melt the snow and have an interesting effect. The LED illumination doesn't melt the snow and makes it glow instead.

I have not to date used weather for my lighting; although there have been many mornings or days which the sun doesn't shine where I probably should illuminate the lights.

As Charlie mentions above you can just add more variables / events to your garden lighting using a variable of devices / events created with Homeseer.

Note that you have to keep track of all of the variables and "if then" statements such that you don't cause endless circular references that can cause issues. (its just a logic thing though).

There are also means of "measuring snow" using hardware; expensive a bit and involves a reflectometer. Well its just one way.

https://staff.ucar.edu/browse/people...00-000-003-494
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I retract one thing I said above. Don't use time of day as a trigger.

Instead use Sunset and a Positive Offset to counter the light during dusk.

Sent from my 09l_v77_gq1008_a41_v20 using Tapatalk
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Well guess I will have to work on something else to turn the event OFF for the winter as of tonight the lights are back on so I guess my event cancel was just for the one night of Nov 01 ,,,,

Any suggestion on how to disable an event from triggering for a few months and then to start triggering after ??

Still scratching my head ,,, lol

Comment

"On another note I've been up to central Ontario. Amazing summer camping/fishing and it get rocks with snow in the winter."

Yes we do have some great fishing here and as far as snow I have had it so high than the blower could not get it over the banks in the drive as they were too high ,,, lol

Comment

The two events are a conflict. Only create conditions and rules within one event.

Here might be an example. Tweak and ask more questions but I must say that I am more keen on Sunset plus a positive offset as a trigger then a defined time of day.

Heres a screen shot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Charlie I think that is what I need, I use sunset with an offset as the trigger as I want the lights to follow sunset during the year, but I missed the fact that I can give it conditions of before & after a certain date for the event to run.

Comment

Too Easy.

On another topic have you read Pete's long thread about retro fitting Garden Lights to LEDs?

Excellent read and u can find it under the lighting section.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X