Door/Window Sensor alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door/Window Sensor alternatives?

Are there any Door/Window Sensors that aren't $40+ ??
    I tried to buy the Everspring sensor which was going for $28 but there was one left and I bought the last one. I need 14 more sensors and I don't feel like paying $40-50 each for some of the ones I've seen.
    Is there an alternative that I haven't stumbled upon yet?

Can you use DS10/12?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You should be able to but standalone reed magnet switch and string them together in series ... then you need single sensor for all windows that are connected. You can't tell which one is open but that might not matter if you tie together ones in the same room (which is probably only thing that you can do easily anyway). Examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Inbuilt-...+magnet+switch

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Plastic-...ef=pd_sim_hi_3

http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elect..._bxgy_hi_img_z

Comment

Hard wire is out of the question? There's bits that can drill 3/8s holes through ur headers into attics or crawl spaces. That's how we installed my alarm system. Labor was cheaper than all the devices.

Love my 3 dollar contact switches :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

I've used those inexpensive X10 wireless sensors all over the house. For something mission critical to security, I have hardwired sensors, but the X10, with a WGL receiver, have been great for all the HA functions. The only downside to them is the size. The battery compartment is large compared to other security systems and must be accessible to change the batteries. You may need to run wires from the sensor into a closet or cabinet for the batteries and electronics if, like me, you don't like the looks.

Comment

I still utilize wireless X-10 stuff for simple non critical to security things.

IE: my old Rainbird rain sensor is connected to one wireless sensor. Its been well over a year using the same battery. I don't really care though if it works or not as I have other means today (wired) to tell if its raining outside anyways.

Personally wiring up a wireless sensor for power only fixes part of the issue relating to using wireless anyways.

RF is magical and unpredictable and always has been.

But that is my opinion only.
            Last edited by Pete; November 6, 2013, 03:10 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              I still utilize wireless X-10 stuff for simple non critical to security things.

IE: my old Rainbird rain sensor is connected to one wireless sensor. Its been well over a year using the same battery. I don't really care though if it works or not as I have other means today (wired) to tell if its raining outside anyways.

Personally wiring up a wireless sensor for power only fixes part of the issue relating to using wireless anyways.

RF is magical and unpredictable and always has been.

But that is my opinion only.
              I did not mean to imply that I ever stopped using the X10 wireless sensors. I picked a whole bunch of them up cheap years ago, and still have quite a few in the box.

I used to feel that way about RF, but now it seems no worse than the wired. Partly, that is because some of the wired boards have so much computing going on now, that they are becoming magical as well. It is one reason I am moving from HAI to DSC--to simplify just a little.

Comment

Understood Gene.

Curious; on another post you mention you have an Elk setup and on this one you mentioned an HAI setup and wanting to simplify a bit going to a DSC setup.

So you have both and want to migrate over to a DSC panel because?

Relating to any devices which deal with life and safety; I will most likely continue to pursue the more magical intelligent wired sensors as I continue to "play" (for fun) with a variety of wireless sensors.
                Last edited by Pete; November 6, 2013, 08:06 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hardwire is out of the question, yes. This is existing construction and I'm not about to embark on that road.

The links you sent are for X10 sensors. I can use those with Z-troller??
                  Even if they do work, I'm not sure I want to because of the range. I've had bad trouble with missing signals from the X10 sensors even at 30'.

Comment

Yup; for wireless X-10 I have a W800 antenna mounted in the attic. The X-10 wireless footprint works well throughout the house and outside to the edges of the property. Cheap and effective.

That said I also have the Z-Troller on the second floor of the house wiring to a Quatech serial server and it too covers the same footprint placed in such a manner with no real abundance of Z-Wave (multiple Z-wave networks with less than 10 devices each).

I also had Insteon repeaters placed in a couple of locations when using Insteon generation I. (it worked just fine).

The alarm panel wireless receivers are also mounted outside of the can and not in the basement.

RF is still RF and while you can set up a good base and create an omnidirectional footprint; there still is the base issue of RF propagation thru materials / frequencies and RF noise generation which can totally block stuff. (IE one issue). Power supply replacement (batteries) "baggage" - is an issue.

I am not saying that it doesn't work; but rather its not optimal to use as a life safety device; but that is my opinion.

Then again any sensor is better than no sensor in the realm of having a sensor; dumb analogy from many years ago...when folks were buying computers to balance their checkbooks; but never previously balanced their checkbooks and assumed that the computer would do that for them.....trying to figure out what was wrong with the computer that didn't automatically balance their checkbooks....

Your car FOB has a tiny battery in it that last for many years typically. Thinking that my automobiles charge the FOB batteries when used with a tiny inductive current. (but that is a guess).
                    Last edited by Pete; November 7, 2013, 08:21 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by phuz View Post
                      I've had bad trouble with missing signals from the X10 sensors even at 30'.
                      As Pete noted, if you use a WGL 800RF receiver you can get much better reception than with an X10 receiver. For even better range, an antenna like this one will make a dramatic difference. I am able to pick up a DS10 reliably from 150 feet or more.
                      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                        As Pete noted, if you use a WGL 800RF receiver you can get much better reception than with an X10 receiver. For even better range, an antenna like this one will make a dramatic difference. I am able to pick up a DS10 reliably from 150 feet or more.
                        Good to know. How does that antenna integrate with the Z-troller?

Comment

Good to know. How does that antenna integrate with the Z-troller?
                          I also use and vouch for the WGL 800 and external antenna. It made all the difference in the X10 RF. However, to my knowledge, it does not work for Zwave.

Comment

How does that antenna integrate with the Z-troller?
                            My comments were with regard to the W800 receiver. I don't know how or if it can interface to the Z-troller. Probably can't, though.

One of the most powerful capabilities of HS is its ability to allow several technologies to merge in the background. My thought was to add X10 (DS10a) door/window sensors, detect their state with the W800 receiver and ACRF2 plug-in. Then let HS merge the X10 and z-wave information.

Comment

I have taken apart the Z-Troller and posted pictures here some where. The antenna is just a trace on the board. That said its probably not worth playing with.

I have my Z-Troller on the second floor of a two story home. I wanted to test both indoor and outdoor Z-Wave device reach. It talks fine to outdoor devices even past 100 feet just the way it is with no modifications to the antenna.

Playing around with the Zee and the Aeon stick these days. I left it in the basement and it has OK reach so far with one device.

The Leviton serial Z-Wave PIM is also in the basement with OK reach in/outside my home.

The Casa Verde Z-Wave device also had (not testing right now) OK reach from the basement to a few Z-Wave devices.

Yup here utilize UPB, X10, Z-Wave and Insteon. These are all connected to my HS Box(s).
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X