Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone retrofitted automation to plantation shutters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have any luck with this? I'm looking for a solution as well.

Comment

'fraid not

closest I got to a *plan* was attaching a servo to the edge of one and driving from arduino

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
      HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
      2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
      USB UIRT
      Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
      WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
      HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
      2GIG Thermostat
      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
      BLUPS
      UltraLog (SQL2008)
      Jon00 Plugins
      Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
      Global Cache IP2IR
      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Just saw a new kickstarter campaign to automate plantation shutters.

It's called "ShutterEaze"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-plantation-sh

Comment

Originally posted by Jingoro View Post
          Just saw a new kickstarter campaign to automate plantation shutters.

It's called "ShutterEaze"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-plantation-sh
          Only snag is you'll probably have to wait at least a year IF it ever ships

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
          HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
          2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
          USB UIRT
          Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
          WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
          HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
          2GIG Thermostat
          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
          BLUPS
          UltraLog (SQL2008)
          Jon00 Plugins
          Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
          Global Cache IP2IR
          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Clean solution.. hope they support Z-Wave or interconnect with our RF systems
            Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

same problem here

I have been trying to figure this same issue out for a while. I have the same type of shutter as well.

Comment

Just received a reply from Kickstarter, It looks like they are going to consider z-wave over zigbee.. you can get in and specify z-wave only.. fyi

geary
                Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
                  It looks like they are going to consider z-wave over zigbee
                  Smart decision as the Z-Wave standard is light years ahead of ZigBee.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sorry to revive this 4 year old thread but we have plantation shutters I would like to automate the tilting and it seems shuttereaze never actually came through to ship a product. It would have worked perfect for my use though. 4 years later are there any other options other the the DIY approach?

Comment

To my knowledge there is only one commercial solution for this. Norman shutters use an RF controller. With a bit of work you could capture the RF signals and use homeseer to transmit them. I think I remember a blog where someone opened up a spare remote and hard wired relays to the contacts to control the zones. Besides costing 50% to 100% more than non-motorized shutters each remote can only control 5 separate zones which some folks might find limiting if you want individual room control, or say top/bottom slat control.

http://www.normanusa.com/NormanPerfectTiltRFetimer.asp

A big downside to these shutters is that you no longer can manually adjust them without disengaging the motor first. (granted it's been a couple of years since I researched them so maybe that's been fixed) If a guest were to try to manually open/close the shutters it might strip the gears.

The DIY approach of using a stepper motor still lets you manually adjust the shutters but then you have the whole DIY thing....
                      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                      Number of Devices: 1005
                      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

I had similar issue for a while. Finally I came up with a simple solution for my Norman shutters which have an invisible railing connecting all the slats. So I was able to pull out the middle slat and attach shaft to the end of slat and cog wheel on the other end of the shaft. Then attached stepper motor with cog wheel to the other cog wheel. Stepper motor can be controlled with a mobile app or from web browser. I am currently working on attaching light and temperature sensors so shutters would open or close depending on light and temperature levels set by the user along with scheduled open and close operations.

Comment

Ok, let’s revive this thread again.

I’ve got plantation shutters I want to automate, and I have some ideas. I’m an Arduino hobbiest, so I’m thinking of attaching having a servo motor like used on a CNC device. It would drive a threaded rod attached inside the plantation shutters so as to be mostly invisible, but still externally attached (don’t want to hack up my shutters any more than I have to). The threaded rod once rotated by the servo motor would raise or lower a nut on the threaded rod. This nut would raise or lower a plastic fixture that connects to one of the actual shutters, forcing the shutter blade to move. The rest of the shutters would move because of the standard center rod that attaches all the shutter blades.

I’m a software guy, so the Arduino part is no problem. I figure I’ll connect the Arduino controller to HomeSeer via MQTT, which I’m also quite familiar with.

My weak point is 3D printing. I think to do a nice clean implementation it’s going to require a 3D printed piece that attaches to one blade of the plantation shutter and is driven by the threaded rod that is in turn driven by the servo motor. I understand the concepts of 3D printing but don’t really want to lean how to draft 3D parts to feed to a printer. I definitely don’t want to drop $500 or so for a decent 3D printer, but would be fine sending the 3D design file (STL file?) off to an online 3D printing fulfillment company.

Anybody out there want to work with me on this? Anybody with 3D printing expertise?

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyward View Post
                            Ok, let’s revive this thread again.

I’ve got plantation shutters I want to automate, and I have some ideas. I’m an Arduino hobbiest, so I’m thinking of attaching having a servo motor like used on a CNC device. It would drive a threaded rod attached inside the plantation shutters so as to be mostly invisible, but still externally attached (don’t want to hack up my shutters any more than I have to). The threaded rod once rotated by the servo motor would raise or lower a nut on the threaded rod. This nut would raise or lower a plastic fixture that connects to one of the actual shutters, forcing the shutter blade to move. The rest of the shutters would move because of the standard center rod that attaches all the shutter blades.

I’m a software guy, so the Arduino part is no problem. I figure I’ll connect the Arduino controller to HomeSeer via MQTT, which I’m also quite familiar with.

My weak point is 3D printing. I think to do a nice clean implementation it’s going to require a 3D printed piece that attaches to one blade of the plantation shutter and is driven by the threaded rod that is in turn driven by the servo motor. I understand the concepts of 3D printing but don’t really want to lean how to draft 3D parts to feed to a printer. I definitely don’t want to drop $500 or so for a decent 3D printer, but would be fine sending the 3D design file (STL file?) off to an online 3D printing fulfillment company.

Anybody out there want to work with me on this? Anybody with 3D printing expertise?
                            I’m game. Have a friend who does 3D printing and can whip some up. I need to be able to control 4 sets of shutters (all on the same window) via hopefully one controller and 4 different servos.

Comment

My whole house is noting but PLANTION Shutter..... you grow to Love them.

Interested in h0w to automate them.

Devoir

Comment

I'm working on automating the plantation shutters in my house using a retro fit solution rather than carving them up. I've managed a proof of concept using a micro servo attached to a shutter blade by a wire linkage. This gives me just over 90 degrees of movement which I think is ok as I can go from closed to fully open this way. I've used an Arduino to control the servo and have also shown that I can connect an Arduino IOT to my Amazon Alexa so putting these together I should be able to get Alexa to control the shutters. My next steps are to build a more robust mounting for the servo and I intend to 3D print this as the servo itself at the moment is just stuck to the shutters with sticky pads and looks a bit naff, also tends to fall off when it gets hot. The attachment of the wire to the shutter itself needs to be neater, the rubber band works but looks rubbish. Once the mechanics is done I'll link it to the Arduino IOT and hopefully have voice activated shutters. Attached is a video of the prototype.

Comment

Working...
                                X