Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone retrofitted automation to plantation shutters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty cool! Could this run on batteries? If so and assuming on/off twice a day, how long do you think it would last on batteries? Future wireless control?

Comment

Hi, it’s currently running off batteries, I’ve left it running for a few hours opening and closing so I think battery life should be ok. It also needs a battery for the Arduino and since that’s on all the time it might run down more quickly. I don’t know yet. The Arduino IOT has WiFi built in so that’s what I’ll use to remote control it.

Comment

Is the Arduino IoT better than using MQTT? I have not looked at the Arduino IoT stuff since it seems to need the cloud connection and I was already using MQTT on other Arduino projects.
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
        Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Here is a Switchbot solution: https://gopro.com/v/Lv9nL5qDqpeD5 Personally I would need a second one to close them as well. The idea of using monofilament to move the shutter, though, means you could also manually control them. But you would not know their state in that case, unless you also add a sensor. Just showing a different idea I found.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events

Comment

Hi there, to be honest I don’t know much about MQTT, I chose the Arduino iot since it could link directly to Alexa which I felt would make things easier since we already have Alexa smart sockets. Also I’m hoping that the Alexa option will make sunrise and sunset automation easier rather than having to set timers or get day length from the internet myself. I didn’t want to rely on ambient light since we have a lot of security lights. It is possible to move the shutters against the servo in my current design, doesn’t seem to cause any damage.

Comment

With MQTT you would use an MQTT Plugin on HomeSeer and set up an MQTT Broker. Both are available from the free mcsMQTT plugin. From there you end up with a HomeSeer device which can then control your shades. Use the HomeSeer Alexa integration to get Sunrise and Sunset Events with other options such as offsets. I have z-wave shades and use Sunrise or 7 AM, whichever is LAST for an event. Looking to add control to the one set of Plantation Shutters and add them to the same event.

As for MQTT on an Arduino, it is fairly straight forward. There is a library and examples to send and receive messages. While writing this, I did a quick search and if you use MQTT you can also use Tasmota so now you do not need custom Arduino code: Tasmota Shutters and Blinds page. I personally might still be inclined to roll my own solution, but there is something to be said for spending my time on other projects.

So the MQTT route keeps everything internal to your network. Alexa control is not direct but handled by HomeSeer, and does go to the cloud. I have no experience with Alexa/HomeSeer outside helping with some Node Red flows so I cannot provide input there.

Don't take all this as anything more than information on using MQTT vs Arduino IoT, from an MQTT user's point of view.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events

Comment

Working...
              X