Home Depot EcoSmart (Cree) DOA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Depot EcoSmart (Cree) DOA

I just picked up 5 of the Cree Ecosmart 6 inch 9.5 watt Soft White Downlights and 3 of the five were DOA.

I have had great luck with Cree in the past and have been using these lights elsewhere in the house but having 3 out of 5 dead seems like a high failure rate.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What ever you do - do not loose your receipt. I've bought over the last year 11 LED bulbs mostly Cree and all of them have failed. Some lasted longer than others but none have lived to their first birthday. The good thing is Cree is good about replacing them the bad thing is they are way to expensive for this to be happening and what happens 4 or 5 years down the road. I even started taping my receipt inside the fixture so I could keep up with it.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm up to 12 Cree LED bulbs, but they are the standard A19 bulbs that are replacing 60w incandecent bulbs - not the indoor floods like you mentioned. So far, they are all working well. I wrote the date in sharpie on the bulb - I didnt add tinder to the fixture like Rupp
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        I'm up to 12 Cree LED bulbs, but they are the standard A19 bulbs that are replacing 60w incandecent bulbs - not the indoor floods like you mentioned. So far, they are all working well. I wrote the date in sharpie on the bulb - I didnt add tinder to the fixture like Rupp
        Yea, the tape was wrinkled in a couple of cases
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have a box on the "light bulb" shelf in the basement with the receipts, I should mark the bulbs so I can matchup the receipt with the bulb.

So far I am doing better with the LED's than the CFLs on failures.

The CFL's I had in my can lights had a shorter life than the incandescents I used to have in them.

The CFL's never died quietly either, nothing like having a CFL start to strobe 17 feet up in the cathedral ceiling!

Comment

I just bought some of these from Home Depot with the trim integrated with the lamp since they work great with the Leviton Z-wave dimmers. It's part ECO-575L.

Home Depot is definitely playing games with this product. The first few I bought were noted as 625 lumens on the box. The box was green. When I went back to get more, they had an additional product with the same ECO-575L part number but the lumens was noted as 575 on the box. This box was brown. All other specs. were identical. I had the Home Depot guy scan the SKU and it was identical between both products. They clearly have different specs, though. I believe the box that is brown is a newer model. It just begs the question if the green box product had some sort of design or manufacturing defect and has been replaced by the brown box product.

Anyway, both flavors are working for me at the moment. We will see if they make it 20+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by General Patton View Post
              I just picked up 5 of the Cree Ecosmart 6 inch 9.5 watt Soft White Downlights and 3 of the five were DOA.

I have had great luck with Cree in the past and have been using these lights elsewhere in the house but having 3 out of 5 dead seems like a high failure rate.

Has anyone else experienced this?
              I put in 6 of the $40 Cree 4000K downlights a couple months ago, and at least one of them has developed a noticeable flicker. Around the same time I also put in 7 of the $100 Halo LM56's, and they've been rock solid.

Comment

I bought 12 and did not have any issues.
                HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                X