Anyone use a laptop for Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a laptop for Homeseer?

One of the smaller motherboards along with one of the pico powers supplies or similar bricks fit nicely in a low voltage can, and the models available these days have plenty of computing power and run cool enough. I am thinking of moving a whole virtualization server into this model, and getting rid of traditional cases for the home automation computers altogether. I also use the serial port device servers, a 4 port Quatech and a much larger Moxa (I forget how many ports, maybe 16 or something).

Earlier, I tested the first gigabit model USB Silex device server (model 1000 I think it was), but was not happy with stability or speed. Now I am testing the faster 4000U2, and it seems much better.

Comment

Yup; here testing little computers went into the world of carpcs; where I could literally hid the PC anywhere. Now much faster and less power hungry and doing much more in a tiny footprint. Mostly if any issues related to power. First CarPC in the 2000's had a tank circuit and its own battery that was charged by the car alternator autonomously from the main car battery. Today using a tiny intelligent pico psu is utilized that shuts down the computer without draining the battery.

You can take this same hardware and just run Homeseer off a standard 12VDC battery which is trickle charged.

IE: putting the Zee in the alarm panel and having it run off the alarm panel 12VDC system.

Personally here I do not want to see the box doing the automation; its not really necessary anymore these days.

Here recently; went to replace a 24 port legacy unmanaged switch I had in one 42" Leviton can to a tiny 24 port low powered managed Gb switch.

I also replaced the rack sized non managed 24 port Gb switch now with the same managed tiny Gb switch. They are doing fine these days.

Recently I helped a friend with the LV wiring for a new home. I did install two 42" Leviton panels. Only the networking pieces are connected. that said the whole house is wired and the plan is to put all of the house automation in the two cans if possible. I did also add autonomous HV circuits and circuit breakers just for the automation / cans. (which was a bit time consuming post build).
      Last edited by Pete; January 9, 2014, 09:51 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
      X