Google buys Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
    I certainly will not use a HA product that places my information in the cloud! I wouldn't pay $10 for a NEST. HomeSeer has been doing what NEST would do for me for 13 years... What a joke...
    You are not kidding, I HATE cloud anything, it's mine not there's to spread around and get hacked.

To Rupps comments about why people buy Apple products:
    1.) Because it is pretty and elegant.
    2.) Because it just works.
    I know your an Apple guy, but how can you feel like you do in you first comment and then say this? Apple is all about becoming a minion and trusting the all powerful dictator, I get the part about it just works - there is something to be said about that. If you stick with a known Android brand you get the same thing. Although Google is becoming the same way it seems, AHH!
    -Skybolt

Comment

Skybolt,

Allow me to provide some background:

I have been an Apple person since 1981 when I started programming an 16kb Apple ][. Functionally, in a figurative way, I had Home Automation like HomeSeer back then. Even wrote my own answering machine with an Apple CAT modem.

Having said that, I have been down the OS/2 path, and have spent several years at Microsoft in Redmond. I have been labeled at times also a IBM, and a Microsoft person.

Came back to Apple as the iPad caught my eye as it was dirt cheap and very functional. Back then in the home automation world we were all seeking good functional and attractive touch screen devices. I recall that I paid $350-$500 for just a touch screen yet need a computer on top. So total price for touch screen front-end to HomeSeer and Mainlobby was $500 - $1000+... A iPad for $499 was extremely beautiful and relatively cheap.

The rest of the industry has caught up. But they are still in my opinion the best devices overall.

I certainly do not trust the Google and Android ecosystem. When it comes to cloud computing, I still think that Amazon has everyone beat.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
      X