Simple current sensor trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to monitor a sink drain ejector pump (it's conceptually similar to a sump pump). In the scenario I want to monitor for, it typically runs for only a very short time (a few seconds). I tried using one of the AEON smartswitches to monitor energy consumption and detect it that way, but the pump duty cycle in the monitored scenario is simply too short for it to be a good detector. Also, because it is polled rather than triggering an instant status, it doesn't really do well at counting the number of events.

I could wire up something with an arduino that would do the detection and alert homeseer, but I'm wondering if there might be a simpler/cheaper/quicker way. I'm sure some others here have crossed this or very similar bridges before.

The pump is powered by regular 120 volt AC. It has some kind of sensor built in so that when it detects water, it immediately turns on and pumps until it doesn't detect water anymore, and then it turns off. It relies on a backflow preventer to keep ejected water from flowing backward, but if the backflow preventer doesn't seal 100% perfectly, the pump will eventually sense water and attempt to eject again. This is the error condition I want to monitor for. I installed a ball backflow preventer over 6 months ago, and haven't had any problems. However, if there's ever a problem, I want to know about it. I figure checking for event triggers in the middle of the night will alert me as to whether there is a problem brewing.
    Last edited by NeverDie; January 19, 2014, 09:18 PM.

Check out this thread for a CRMagnet. I used this to monitor my washing machine and it has worked for years.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...achine+monitor
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, Rupp. Is your split-core still hooked directly into a powerflash? Or, are you hooking it in some other way these days?

I ordered a number of different types of current sensors from sparkfun, including one of their split cores (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11005--similar to what you used. No doubt an arduino hooked to one of the sensors would detect current; still, I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, especially if there's something super easy that's already proven out. Your powerflash solution meets the test for super easy and proven out, except I just wish it wasn't X-10 (admittedly, I'm prejudiced regarding X10, having been down that road in the past. I'm glad it worked for you though).

Comment

I use an Aeon Labs Smart switch to monitor the washing machine cycle. I have polling turned off and instead I have an Association set between it and my Z-troller.

It seems to respond quite quickly. May be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
          Thanks, Rupp. Is your split-core still hooked directly into a powerflash? Or, are you hooking it in some other way these days?
          Still connected to the Powerflash and looks the same as the picture I took and posted. I've always had good luck with X10 so I had no reason to swap it out.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the link to Spark Fun. This is an interesting hobbyist source. I was not aware of this site.

I use the x10 universal/power flash module for monitoring and controlling low voltage stuff ( turn on low voltage lighting, and monitor my furnace humidifier). They work OK but they are not very reliable. They miss signals and they will fail after several thousand cycles. They are not designed for high frequency ( multiple on/off cycles per minute). The relay contacts get dirty and will not work reliably. I have replaced the universal module and power flash.

The current sensor is the way to go. I use the CR3110 connected to a DS10a. There are many posts from me about this. Search About 3 years ago. I have 25 in use for more than 4 years.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
              Thanks for the link to Spark Fun. This is an interesting hobbyist source. I was not aware of this site.
              What I like about sparkfun is that each product has a forum thread attached for users to share info and communicate, which is more powerful than just reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by jbbtex View Post
                I use an Aeon Labs Smart switch to monitor the washing machine cycle. I have polling turned off and instead I have an Association set between it and my Z-troller.

It seems to respond quite quickly. May be worth a try.
                Great! I didn't know it was even possible to do that. This may be exactly what I was hoping for. I have the switch. Exactly which association did you set?
                Last edited by NeverDie; January 20, 2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

OK, I just checked, and I don't see how associations alone are going to do anything because it's already associated with HS's main interface in Group 1, and there are no other groups I can associate.

However, in searching the threads, I found this: http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/225

referenced by Person on this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158174

so I'll give good old Parameter 80 a try. Person is a god when it comes to instant status.
                  Last edited by NeverDie; January 20, 2014, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Some Success!

Progress! Not what I expected, but I expect it will be useable.

IF:
                    I set Parameter 80 to 1.
                    I set Group 3 to report just the sensor value (in watts) every 1 second.
                    The Smart Switch is ON

THEN:
                    I get updates roughly every second on the watts drawn, but ONLY WHEN watts > 0.
                    If watts = 0 (i.e. no current being drawn), then no sensor updates.
                    Also, the watts drawn on the status page updates (presumably about every second).

I tested this out by plugging an LED bulb on a candlestick lamp into the Aeon Smart Switch.

Although I'd prefer to get notified on just the transition events (rather than every second), this is certainly better than getting an update every second regardless of whether any watts are being drawn through the smart switch.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NeverDie; January 21, 2014, 01:04 AM.

Comment

It works!

I set up an event (turn on a ceiling light) to trigger (smart switch watts > 0) when I turn on the candlestick light, and it did. So, as a rudimentary proof of concept, it works!

I'd like to expand this to other loads, like a dehumidifiers and a window air conditioners in a detached structure, which have non-zero standby loads while waiting to switch fully ON. For the window air conditioner, I can activate it with IR, but I'd like to use a smart switch to confirm that it was activated (and, likewise, actually de-activated when I remotely switch it off). It would provide another cross check to ensure reliability.
                      Last edited by NeverDie; January 21, 2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks For the info NeverDIe I have been looking for a way to monitor my washer and dryer as well, I will have to start here and I will be watching closely

Thanks Ken
                        HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

You're welcome.

Also, for clarity's sake, I'll point out that I have polling turned OFF on the smart switch:
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is awesome,

I'm ordering one as we speak, if you figure out a good way to monitor an electric dryer that is simple let me know. Im thinking about the Aeon home energy meter as a way to go at it but not sure it will work?

Like to hear your thoughts

Cheers Ken
                            HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

I would think it should work if it's the old fashioned type (i.e. it draws zero power until you turn it on, and it draws no power after it's finished). If you have digital controls that draw standby power, then the answer may depend on whether some of the other parameters can be set so it doesn't trigger on just that.

I'm assuming you have a gas dryer that runs as 120 volts. Obviously, if you have a purely electric dryer that draws 240 volts, it isn't going to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X