HS connected to Midland WR300 Weather Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether the contact closure works while the weather radio is running on batteries-only?
    If no one has an opportunity to check sooner, I will confirm tomorrow.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
      Can anyone confirm whether the contact closure works while the weather radio is running on batteries-only? I expect it would, but it's worth checking anyway. ...
      I will check this evening when I get home. I still need to pretty up the wiring anyway.

But I agree with you, in that when I had it on battery only the weather radio was working, so there is no reason to think the alert output wouldn't either, as that is it's only purpose.
      -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Al / Skybolt,

I've included your name / quotes relating to this endeavor in the "how to" section.

With you permission I would like to transpose the information you post here to the "how to" section for future references.

That said such that it doesn't get lost here in the future.
        No Problem Pete, I will add some pick's and a little better how to for using with an Elk if you like. I am still waiting for my external antenna anyway.
        -Skybolt

Comment

using with an Elk if you like
          Yup for wireless "do whats" ; IE: in the HAI world I have all what HAI offers for wireless controllers for wireless sensors configured.

I have extended wiring such that the wireless devices / antennas sit in the attic versus in the panel or even in the basement these days.....well except for the Leviton serially connect Z-Wave controller....which is working fine literally embedded between metal conduit adjacent to the main fuse panel in the basement of the house.

Battery self sufficient device hard wired to an alarm system with battery backup does indeed provide a nice methodology for said endeavor and integration into Homeseer. The chances of it failing to function are much less this way....just idle thoughts about methodologies.....
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have extended wiring such that the wireless devices / antennas sit in the attic versus in the panel or even in the basement these days ...
            As do I, but for this device, the alert is just that an alert, not what the alert is about. So one must actually look at the radio display. Which is why I also have it mounted next to the enclosure opposed to inside of it.

My panel is on my main floor in back of the kitchen in the laundry room, so it makes sense to locate the radio there as it is easy to view it as well. I also bought the WR120 which is made to be hung on the wall. It actually looks like a keypad of sorts.
            -Skybolt

Comment

Thanks skybolt,

Yeah such that I could probably put the device in the kitchen or family room maybe....

Also; an addendum of sorts is that the same trigger can be used in Homeseer to trigger a screen scrape NOAA Alerts (using say WeatherXML) and do say a touchscreen pop up or more audio prompts....when pressed such that it goes to the internet maybe for NOAA (manually sort of)....maybe ask Jeff to include a variable change for the NOAA alert trigger rather than a timed NOAA alert check....

.....or at some future date using additional software and SDR...
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                I will check this evening when I get home. I still need to pretty up the wiring anyway.

But I agree with you, in that when I had it on battery only the weather radio was working, so there is no reason to think the alert output wouldn't either, as that is it's only purpose.
                Ok so I did a few quick checks that led into a bit more.
                The quick answer is, yes the alert output activates while on battery.

HOWEVER, I found out a few things.
                This output is NOT a contact output. It appears to be an open collector output that goes low on activation, so be mindful of the polarity of the plug you use. The tip appears to be the +, much like with audio and such.

I used a fluke 87 in ohms mode at first, which provided a varied output in meg ohms. At first I thought there was a pulsed output following the speaker. Then I switched to DC volts, and found the normal state to be ~350mv floating, and activated to be an absolute 0v reading. So my only guess is that it is an ESD protected open collector output that is meant for there strobe. I didn't break out the scope to look at this output, which is what really needs to be done along with a pull up network as well.

From what I can tell you can not hook this up directly to anything with a low impedance input, so an alarm panel is perfect as it also supports the pull up needed, if this is an open collector.

If I have time this weekend I'll pull out the scope to take a look. If anyone has another take on this, please jump in. This is just an educated guess.
                -Skybolt

Comment

Orlando, Maybe you should add an alias to your current name of Skybolt....Sparky?

Note this post intended as a compliment to you electrical knowledge and automation integration....
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Orlando, Maybe you should add an alias to your current name of Skybolt....Sparky?

Note this post intended as a compliment to you electrical knowledge and automation integration....
                    LOL, I didn't take it any other way Pete, thank you.
                    -Skybolt

Comment

Excellent work Hector.

I too was looking and thinking of a standalone emergency warning system. Bought an Software Defined Radio (SDR) Tuner and paid with with it for a couple days. With a SDR you can poll images from NOAA Sattelites, Track Aircraft and overlay their positions onto maps, listen and find errors that are active on planes, AM/FM Radio, local law enforcement and emergency services, and maybe even zombies.

The RF Tunner only cost $12 so its a great project if you have interest and time. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But, after playing with this setup its no where as simple as what you have done. With complexity, comes failure!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                      HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

"Valuable info"

For giggles, I give you a Radio Shack document for the procedure: http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc66/66348.pdf

FWIW
                        Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                          ... If I have time this weekend I'll pull out the scope to take a look. If anyone has another take on this, please jump in. This is just an educated guess.
                          So I took a peek with the scope and it appears that it is an emitter follower circuit (from what I can tell). So high impedance when not activated and low ohms, very close to gnd. when activated.

Anyway, perfect for alarm panels, power flash modules, Insteon etc. Just not a closed contact output.
                          -Skybolt

Comment

That great to know...thk for your investigation.
                            Hector
                            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I've attached the manual for the Midland WR300. I found many new with free shipping on line at a variety of place. There are also a few used listed on EBay. That said with new ones going for under $50; I would suggest not paying more than $25 for a used one with free shipping (that is only my opinion).

For those looking for a Midland WR300 found them here new: (personally here will probably just go to a local store to purchase Midland WR300)

Amazon - $42.95 / free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR-300.../dp/B00009V2YV

Best Buy - $42.98 / free shipping

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/midland-...&skuId=7189302

Walmart - $46.32

B & H Photo - $42.95 / free shipping

Attached Files
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I paid $27 for the WR120, same radio different package off of Amazon. It can be hung on the wall or has flip up legs for a desk/shelf.

Here's the manufacture page: https://midlandusa.com/weather-radios/product/wr-120/

From what I can tell there basically the same, except the WR120 doesn't have the extra frills of the 300. i.e. no AM/FM radio, alert only display etc.
                                Last edited by skybolt; March 2, 2014, 09:32 AM.
                                -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                                X