HS connected to Midland WR300 Weather Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First weather alert

Yesterday in Florida we had a terrible storm passing through the Florida area and I got my first alert from my midland radio, it work as predicted the difference between the actual alert and the alert I got from the My WeatherBug plug-in, was about a two minute difference. Homeseer made the alert inside the home and I got an email stating that there was a tornado watch in my area, so the radio really works very well with homesee.
    Last edited by Rotech; March 18, 2014, 07:39 PM.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
      Yesterday in Florida we had a terrible storm passing through the Florida area and I got my first alert from my midland radio, it work as predicted the difference between the actual alert and the alert I got from the My WeatherBug plug-in, was about a two minute difference. Homeseer made the alert inside the home and I got an email stating that there was a tornado watch in my area, so the radio really works very well with homesee you.
      Yeah, I agree with you, it works really well. I didn't trim down the alerts in the radio so I could test it as well. I got a few winter storm watches which proved how well it works for me as well.

What a great addition to HS and so easy to add.
      Last edited by skybolt; March 18, 2014, 07:46 PM.
      -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Also; an addendum of sorts is that the same trigger can be used in Homeseer to trigger a screen scrape NOAA Alerts (using say WeatherXML) and do say a touchscreen pop up or more audio prompts....when pressed such that it goes to the internet maybe for NOAA (manually sort of)....maybe ask Jeff to include a variable change for the NOAA alert trigger rather than a timed NOAA alert check....

.....or at some future date using additional software and SDR...

I added event actions to weatherXML this week. When the radio changes the value of the closed contact output you can setup an event that triggers on the device value change. Then the Action can be one of the weatherXML actions. Select Update Location. Select your Locations, then for update type select Alerts. It will run the update right then.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          ...I got my first alert from my midland radio, it work as predicted the difference between the actual alert and the alert I got from the My WeatherBug plug-in, was about a two minute difference...
          Excellent! Thanks for posting your data.
          Last edited by NeverDie; March 18, 2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

We had an alert this morning at approx. 4:30 AM and this time it took 9 minutes after the alert was received for the Environment Canada (EC) web-site to be updated. Unfortunately (again), the alert was for a weather event that is not expected to occur until some time tomorrow (it was basically issued 24 hours ahead of time). I sent EC a nice note asking why they continue to do that . We'll see if I get a response. This is what I submitted through their contact page:

This comment is in regards to weather alerts issued through Weatheradio Canada using the Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) technology. I live in the Calgary region and use a Weather Alert Radio to be alerted of severe weather alerts. Frequently alerts are issued by EC at 4:30 AM Mountain time for weather events that are expected to occur much later. As an example, the weather alert was triggered at approx. 4:30 AM MDT this morning (April 25) for a heavy snow fall weather statement that indicated heavy snow was expected over 24 hours later on April 26th. Does the weather alert really need to be issued that early? Most of my family is now sleeping through these alerts as they frequently happen at that time. I can turn off the weather alerts for that type of weather event, but that's defeating the purpose of having the weather radio. Please provide a rationale for issuing the alerts that soon ahead of time and at that time of day, or look at triggering the alerts at a more appropriate time and only trigger alerts in the middle of the night for those that truly are urgent such as a tornado watch or severe thunderstorm warning. If you would like any clarification around my concern, please do not hesitate to contact me by email or phone.
            Thanks
            Al
            Cheers
            Al

PS "Most of my family" includes me, so now only my wife wakes up and she has to turn the alert off. WAF has gone way down
            HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

If they don't heed your request, you've got an option. Since the radios are relatively inexpensive (around $25), if it bugs you a lot, you could use two radios instead of one. Put the life-or-death categories on one radio and have it wake you if they're triggered. Put the other categories on the other radio, and have HS only notify you of those if you're awake.

I've thought about doing this for a different but similar reason. Lately I turned the volume on my weather radio to nearly maximum so I can hear the announcement, even if I'm not anywhere nearby. It turns out to really annoy my wife, even if she's fully awake and it's broad daylight. I sympathize, and so the two radio solution would work for us as well. I think she wouldn't mind a loud warning if a Tornado were about to land on us, but for anything not tornadic, it will probably be silent, and I'll just need to find some other way to quietly become aware that an important weather alert has been captured. Other than flashing lights, I'm not yet sure how best to do that. I welcome any suggestions.
              Last edited by NeverDie; April 25, 2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Great idea ND, I'll have to do that.

Cheers
                Al
                HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm also sorry for my bad English. My name is Sylvain. I live in France. I saw on the site an old publication on a Midland WR120 radio.

I'm writing to you because my girlfriend's family is Mexican, I would like to do an automation of the house during a seismic alert (he owns a Midland WR120) but it's impossible to find this radio in France, so I can't do my own tests! I would be interested to know how the mono jack port "Alert Ext" of the radio works. Do you know if it is a simple switch (which closes when there is an alert, and stays open when there is no alert)? Do you know if this switch is polarized? Indeed I plugged a Sonoff Mini via a mini jack to detect the closing of a switch but not sure that it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	428085d1608391751-detecter-fermeture-dun-switch-resolu-emetteur.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1444827

I hope I don't bother you with these questions... If not, I apologize.

Happy New Year and good day

Comment

The Sonoff Mini is plugged in 110/220V. The terminals S1 and S2 allow to put a detector for example for door closing, here I put a mono jack.

To test my circuit in France I made a mini circuit: a female mono jack, connected to a switch. This allowed me to simulate what I thought was the operation of the Midland WR120 (roughly the closing of the jack).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103-104450.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1444901

When my girlfriend brought the circuit back to her family in December and made some tests (test alarm with Midland) my circuit didn't work ! I don't understand why ! It frustrates me enormously because I'm in France and I can't test the functioning of the alarm, is it a bad connection of the jack? Is it a switch closure as I thought?

I have to go to Mexico in January (hopefully), and I'd like to solve the problem before I get there! Or buy a weather radio that works with an external weather alert (mono jack) via a switch closure.

thanks

Comment

I found this info for the W100 so would expect it would be the same as the W120:

You may need to turn on or turn off another device when an alert is
                      received. The WR-100 provides a switch closure to signal other
                      devices at the EXT. ALERT jack when the monitor receives an alert.
                      The output is compatible with home automation devices from suppliers
                      like X-10 and others. Connect the positive lead of the interface to the
                      tip of the 1/8 inch (3.5mm) phone plug and the negative lead to the body
                      of the plug.

A DC powered device using 12 Volts or less and requiring less than
                      200mA of current can be switched directly using the EXT. ALERT jack.
                      Observe the polarity of the jack so that the negative side of the external
                      power source is connected to the body of the 1/8 inch (3.5mm) phone
                      plug and the device is connected to the positive source and to the tip of
                      the phone plug.

The internal switch is closed when an alert is received. Pressing any
                      button on the front of the monitor will open the switch.

So, it looks like just a low current switched pair.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                        So, it looks like just a low current switched pair.
                        Thank you very much Jon for your response. So there's no reason this shouldn't work. Maybe my girlfriend put the jack in the wrong socket!
                        I'll see when I go, I'll get my voltmeter and my soldering iron! 😀

Here is a video that inspired me for my Sonoff! Here we have a DVR that is connected but me it would be the Midland "Alert EXT" jack :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1S4...nel=TECHLOGICS

My circuit that I realized :

https://youtu.be/uf8O0iYu8Bk

Comment

Working...
                        X