Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeon Labs recessed door sensor DSB54 - Working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Labs recessed door sensor DSB54 - Working.

I've just purchased two door sensors from Aeon Labs that can be placed inside the door panels such that they aren't visible when a door is closed.

Neat idea...if it works (you don't want to drill holes in your doors for no reason!)

But seems to be another bad execution of Z-Wave I suspect. The list is getting rather long!

I can successfully add the device to HS3 through the Z-Troller but all I get is one device "Aeon Labs On/Off Sensor" that remains off no matter what happens.

I've tried to rescan the device without any luck. No sensor status and no battery status...great I didn't start drilling holes in my doors!

Anyone having luck with this product?

I wish Sigma Designs would care that this type of crap doesn't happen and enforce more professional QA on everything labeled Z-Wave. Without it, Z-Wave will go down slowly being the never fully reliable or compatible home automation protocol with the good intent that never happened. I was hoping someone would clean up the mess of the past (take Intermatic, for example).

It works...

I just tried holding down the tiny button a bit longer before rescanning and now it captures the full device configuration incl. battery device.

Seems this device works

Comment

sounds good, please report back on battery status later on. Seams like a device one dont want to change battery to often in.

Comment

I'm a long-time X10 user and Z-Wave newbie. I recently replaced four of my DS10 X10 door sensors with these Z-Wave recessed door sensors. They are working great with my Z-Stick and HS2.

With Z-Wave devices like a light switch, adding the device to HomeSeer was a multi-step process. Remove the Z-Stick from the computer, take it to the device, add the device to the Z-Stick, return the Z-Stick to the computer, import the device from the Z-Stick into HomeSeer.

For the door sensors, I tried the HomeSeer "Add Node" command for the first time. This works great for devices that are battery powered and can be put into "Add" mode at the HomeSeer computer. I selected Setup > Interfaces > Manage > Add Node and then HomeSeer prompted me to put the device in "Add to Network" mode. I pushed the little button on the sensor to put it in "Add" mode. HomeSeer added the sensor to the Z-Stick and did the import to HomeSeer all in one step. Excellent!

The door sensors are doing their job while being totally invisible. This is a nice setup.

Comment

Originally posted by regm View Post
          For the door sensors, I tried the HomeSeer "Add Node" command for the first time. This works great for devices that are battery powered and can be put into "Add" mode at the HomeSeer computer. I selected Setup > Interfaces > Manage > Add Node and then HomeSeer prompted me to put the device in "Add to Network" mode. I pushed the little button on the sensor to put it in "Add" mode. HomeSeer added the sensor to the Z-Stick and did the import to HomeSeer all in one step. Excellent!
          This is actually preferred method for any device and actually the only way to properly import complex devices like door locks. There is tons of traffic/exchange to import such devices and z-troller on it own cannot do the job. So it is best to keep it plugged into the computer, bring the new device within few feet and import.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
            This is actually preferred method for any device and actually the only way to properly import complex devices like door locks. There is tons of traffic/exchange to import such devices and z-troller on it own cannot do the job. So it is best to keep it plugged into the computer, bring the new device within few feet and import.
            The only other Z-Wave devices that I am using are light switches. How is this done with something like a light switch that is installed in the wall and needs electrical power?

Comment

I agree with Person, I always add devices using HS Add Node. For powered devices I use an old PC cord, with the socket cut off, and temporarily wire nut the LNG wires to the device, then plug it into a power extension cord while it's close to the Z-Troller. (Usual disclaimer applies about seeking qualified electrician's help, etc.). This allows me to add, import, scan and test events all work the way I want before I locate the device at its final location. When I relocate the device finally I just have to optimize (plus maybe a few neighbors so they know it's there) and I'm good to go.
              All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by regm View Post
                The only other Z-Wave devices that I am using are light switches. How is this done with something like a light switch that is installed in the wall and needs electrical power?
                I found that you can actually add switches (cooper / Leviton) from wherever they are - I am guessing they are simple enough so z-troller can talk to it thru intermediate devices or maybe it works as they use full strength signal to add? Not sure.

Also I had no issues using z-troller in standalone mode on those simple switches. Door locks, multi sensors work best if added w/ ztroller attached to PC.

Other than that I agree w/ Obrit ... or you could use USB extension cord.

Comment

Working...
                X