Nice Cheap Touch Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry, I don't have time for that....

Automated, recommend you do not buy if you are looking for a rocket ship, this is 28 bucks and has a nice touch screen.... I have used a few cheap pads that had horrible touch performance.

I was impressed by this one but it is not as fast has my Kindle when it comes to switching screens - now, with that said, my kindle costs about 4 time as much.

Knowing what I know about this stuff - in three or four years is will all be in the trash anyway....

Comment

Automated,

It says it has a Cortex A8 running at 1.2Ghz with 512MB DDR3 memory. At least in that regard, it seems likely it will have more pep than a Beaglebone Black, which has a Cortex A8 running at 1Ghz with 512MB DDR3 memory. Its CPU is likely to outrun a Raspberry Pi by 2x or more.

Maybe those comparisons are helpful as a way of roughly gauging potential capability?
      Last edited by NeverDie; April 20, 2014, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I'd be interested if anyone knew of an even smaller android--one with a footprint the same a typical decora paddle switch. Then you could mount it as per usual for a switch, and even use a typical switch plate as the face plate, making installation a breeze. It would also be comparatively unobtrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie
          It often seems like the cheap stuff (and often the expensive stuff too) comes with lots of gotcha's that remain concealed until you're in the thick of trying to install or use it. It's a minefield that all too often impedes/derails even seemingly simple plans for home automation. That's why I said it's worth more than the asking price (to me anyway) just knowing that Norcoscia got it working with HS. Otherwise, I'm sure I never would have bought it, not even for a penny.

To everyone: pooling information about which products work and which don't (gotcha's) is one of the most useful and easiest things for everyone who reads this board to do, and it can save everyone time that would otherwise be lost by individually sifting wheat from chaff. There are around ~100x more lurkers than posters. To the lurkers: please de-cloak and throw everyone a bone like Norcoscia did as your quid pro quo by sharing what products are winners and which are losers. It only takes a minute and almost zero effort.
          Heh - lurker, here I actually ordered one last friday and will post up my experience as well.

As far as mounting goes, another hobby of mine is woodworking. I've made wall-mounted 'frames' for a kindle fire and for a 10" HP Touchpad. I envision making something similar for this device once I receive it.

Power is best run by drilling a small hole and dropping the cable between the studs and running along the floor trim.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I had one of these a few months before the post here, so I'm glad others are using it. Anyone figure out how to keep the wifi connected with the screen off?

It seems that unless I keep a telnet connection open and active...not just open, the wifi ends up shutting down.

Kind of annoying. If I have to keep it active, maybe I need to make a shell script to ping my Homeseer Server. I guess I should install Busybox. If it is not one thing, it's another.
            :-)

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I got mine from newegg, but my 6yr old took it and I havent seen much of it since! I did notice it runs very hot while she watches youtube. The battery life is terrible on it too. for $28 bucks, she's happy with it!
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have been using mine w/o any issues

I'm happy with mine - I don't let it blank the screen so not sure about the WiFi disconnecting.

It does not use to much power and when I need to do something it is always right there and all I do it hit a button. I ending up just sticking mine to the wall with some strong two sided tape - works great!

Comment

Working...
                X