Hometroller S3 CF Drive Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometroller S3 CF Drive Failure

After several good years my Hometroller S3 gave me the blue screen of death. I pulled the 8 GB Transcend CF card and attempted to chkdsk it, but the OS would not recognize the drive on any computer I have.

I would appreciate any ideas to recover the disk or files. I am not Linux savy.

If the CF card is damaged you might want to consider sending it out for recovery.

There are a few Wintel applications out there that do try to repair stuff like this. I have used one or two of them over the years.

That said do you have a backup of the Homeseer configuration / directory or image of the CF card?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I have a backup of the config and I am going to try to upgrade to HS3. I believe that the HS3 instructions ask to transfer a file, homeseer.hs or similar, which I do not find in the config file.

Comment

I would start from scratch then on a new CF card and put the old one aside.

How dependent were / are you on your running HS2 system?

What hardware/plugins did you have connected to your HS2 system?

You will not be able to do a "like for like" HS2 to HS3 transition yet depending on your plugins and hardware.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm thinking I'll ditch the Hometroller and load HS3 on a server. That way I will no be limited by memory, special backup needs, etc. I'll be at risk of the unit shutting down, but I think I can handle that. Hometroller is a nice little appliance, but for the price of a replacement, if I ever need one, I can get a lot of CPU with change left over.

Unfortunately, I have about 10 plugins, from irrigation to zwave, most convenience items, some semi-critical (smoke detectors, water leak, door locks).

Looks like I will have a lot of work ahead in getting the "new" system up.

Comment

Working...
          X