Annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoyances

I thought I'd try a thread on things that are annoying in the current software (HS3 and derivatives). It's not so much about what doesn't work - that's what Bugzilla is for. This is more about:
    1. Things that do work, but maybe not quite the way you would like them to.
      Ex. You're in the log and you've paged down a few pages looking for something, and you realize it's going to refresh soon and you'll lose your place. So you uncheck auto refresh and what happens? It refreshes and you lose your place!
    2. Things that were dropped or overlooked that were available in previous releases.
      Ex. I used the little note pad thingies a lot in HS2 to document what things were doing. Gone from HS3.
    3. Facilities or functions that you feel should be there, but aren't.
      Ex. There are so many doc errors and omissions <sigh>, and no way to log them. To be fair I think there is a thread on feature requests but as far as I know, no rigor in dealing with them.
      Ex. Lack of 3p plugins. This one's been mentioned a "few" times.
      Ex. Migration tools and info. But this one has already been beaten up pretty good too.

I was thinking this to be more from an end-user perspective. I'm sure 3P developers, integrators, etc. have their own set of peeves.

So, go ahead. If you are using HS3, what's your beef?
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

On #2, the Notes icon is there, but you have to click on the device to get to it.
    I use it extensively for:
    --noting devices that support instant status
    --battery change dates

For the other items you have posted, +1...
    Attached Files
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I don't think this thread is going to last a long time personally before it gets deleted, my one absolute massive annoyance is the near complete lack of communication. I suggested years ago that even a weekly updated twitter feed of what was being worked on would keep people on here happy that the product is still alive (because some times when stuff does not get fixed for a while it can seem that way) and give people something to look forward to (I don't see any massive competition for HS for it to need to keep its cards close to its chest until a new feature is released).

Third party plugins as someone who has written a few that will not make it to HS3 I don't think that any blame can be attributed to plugin authors personally. No agreement is made that because you made a HS2 plugin it must be updated to HS3 and depending on when and how it was written it could be a significant undertaking to actually upgrade them. No doubt when HS4 comes along there will be exactly the same discussion taking place.

Comment

Well there you go! Already some value.
        Regards,
        Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          I don't think this thread is going to last a long time personally before it gets deleted, my one absolute massive annoyance is the near complete lack of communication. I suggested years ago that even a weekly updated twitter feed of what was being worked on would keep people on here happy that the product is still alive (because some times when stuff does not get fixed for a while it can seem that way) and give people something to look forward to (I don't see any massive competition for HS for it to need to keep its cards close to its chest until a new feature is released).
          Good points. As an IT Manager, I have to constantly communicate progress on projects to everyone in our organization (internal customers).
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I would be shocked if HS ever makes it to HS 4 given that Apple and Microsoft are now jumping in the fray along with companies like Comcast and Verizon. It is far more likely that the company will be purchased and absorbed in to one of the larger companies or else it will fade in to obscurity.

It's a shame too because companies like HS and even HAL2000 are responsible for doing all of the R&D that made the industry what it is today. Without the two of them, I doubt protocol's like Zwave or Insteon would be where they are today or perhaps if they would exist at all.

CM
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
            Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
            Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Respectfully, I need to disagree. Of all of the HA solutions currently available I think HS will be there for the long haul. HS is more versatile. It may never reach the market penetration that an Apple product would but that doesn't mean it will fade away. HS will continue to evolve. For those looking to squeeze the most out of a system an Apple or MS or Staples or whoever product will fall short. I myself made the move to HS after years using a different product because they focused little on functionality and instead spent all of their resources on fancy web sites and and ever changing interfaces which they assume will draw the masses. There have been some real innovations made by the users of the product. Much like people who hack graphing calculators and such to make them more functional. Or like people who take a 1.5 L Honda, spend tens of thousands on it and get it to perform close to a car which costs less off the line than what they spent on the mods.

If all you need is a remote control for your lights then there are many many options out there. Fine if Apple and MS want to add their names to that list. I can't personally get behind this type of "home automation" just like I think it's silly that people go to the gym and then get frustrated that they can't park right next to the grocery store door on the way home.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I truly hope you are correct.
                CM
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
                Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
                Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by mmn View Post
                  So, go ahead. If you are using HS3, what's your beef?
                  Don't forget to post another thread with "OK, so what do you like better now in HS3?" Let's get a little balance!

no reason to delete unless you start posting Donald Sterling quotes! When we hold things "close to the chest", it's not always due to competitive pressures. Sometimes we start a project and later need to put it on hold for any number of reasons. In those cases, it's far better to start talking about it when it's nearly finished. However, posting development tweets is not a bad idea.

Third party plugins as someone who has written a few that will not make it to HS3 I don't think that any blame can be attributed to plugin authors personally. No agreement is made that because you made a HS2 plugin it must be updated to HS3 and depending on when and how it was written it could be a significant undertaking to actually upgrade them. No doubt when HS4 comes along there will be exactly the same discussion taking place.
                  HS3 was a rewrite of the program and it really was necessary. Unless something really dramatic happens, we don't intend to undertake that kind of work again. The HS3 code base should be with us for some time.

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
                  Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I would be shocked if HS ever makes it to HS 4 given that Apple and Microsoft are now jumping in the fray along with companies like Comcast and Verizon. It is far more likely that the company will be purchased and absorbed in to one of the larger companies or else it will fade in to obscurity.
                  ...or... we might just be partnering with one of these companies in the future. You never know

It's a shame too because companies like HS and even HAL2000 are responsible for doing all of the R&D that made the industry what it is today. Without the two of them, I doubt protocol's like Zwave or Insteon would be where they are today or perhaps if they would exist at all.
                  Being first in this industry just means you ride a pretty bumpy road and help to smooth it out for those that follow.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    Don't forget to post another thread with "OK, so what do you like better now in HS3?" Let's get a little balance!
                    OK... Everything !

HS2 never quite worked for me, became a toy/hobby
                    HS3 is close,, real close to being something I could make a living at selling.
                    Last edited by gearyt; June 4, 2014, 07:27 AM.
                    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

I'll pile on... but I will keep it to one topic: The events screen is unusable. You have to click constantly to get anywhere, and then it is confusing where you are because everything looks the same with down arrows, etc. Whereas in HS2 there was a nice grid, where you saw the Name, Trigger, Event, and Action, all nicely filling the screen with all the information at once, you now get an empty whitespace screen and need to click and unfold and click and read and search and click some more. Not only that, you have to click and unfold and click and unfold to manually run or disable an event or check when it was last run, whereas in HS2 it was right there. Booooh!! Especially on a mobile phone! Booh I say! Could we get a grid or matrix format back, with all buttons easily accessible please?!?

I will say, going back to the OP, that the magic of HS is that it integrates everything and is infinitely customizable, which is a solution that nobody will be able to match for a long, if ever, time. Apple will probably come out with a few thermostats, locks, switches, etc., based on some unified protocol, whether it be an existing or proprietary one. Ultimately, we will have a plugin for that protocol, and it will be that many more HA devices we have a choice of. I must say that I thought it was cool as heck to walk into my local Lowes and walk out with a new Z-Wave Schlage lock. HA is going mainstream!

-BD

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy;1123764I
                        suggested years ago that even a weekly updated twitter feed of what was being worked on would keep people on here happy that the product is still alive....
                        Please, please not Twitter. I'm not prepaired to join that overblown ego nonsense that is Twitter - I would be ashmed if anyone found out that I had aTwitter account

Scott

Comment

I don't think this thread is going to last a long time personally before it gets deleted. . .
                          I had that thought too as a possibility. But I think there is room for constructive b**ching, and I think as long as it follows forum protocol it should be ok. And if not, well that says something too.

. . . my one absolute massive annoyance is the near complete lack of communication. . .
                          "Massive", +1, "Complete", I'd say there's a bit more room...

Don't forget to post another thread with "OK, so what do you like better now in HS3?" Let's get a little balance! . . .
                          Absolutely! Shirley someone will do that!
                          Regards,
                          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mmn View Post
                            I had that thought too as a possibility. But I think there is room for constructive b**ching, and I think as long as it follows forum protocol it should be ok. And if not, well that says something too.
                            We're really not that thin-skinned. Go ahead and bitch.

Absolutely! Shirley someone will do that!
                            I met Shirley Someone once... she was pretty nice.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

We're really not that thin-skinned. Go ahead and bitch.
                              I got nuthin' else. I sure thought we'd hear more from others though.
                              Regards,
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X