Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network fully optimized, but z-stick 2 showing no neighbors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network fully optimized, but z-stick 2 showing no neighbors?

My z-wave network has a dozen or so nodes that I have successfully optimized (by 'optimized', I mean that Node Information indicates that all nodes have a Neighbor Rating of 'Excellent'). However, the z-stick shows it's Neighbor Rating as 'Poor' with zero neighbors.

With the exception of an occasional error communicating with a node that if furthest away from the z-stick, everything seems to work fine. I am assuming that the z-stick is communicating directly with each node since there are no known neighbors found (even though there are a couple of nodes just 12 or so feet away!).

The Z-Wave tab on the Modify Device page of the Homeseer server doesn't show the 'Optimize' or 'Full Optimize' options (or any options) as do all other nodes in the network.

Shouldn't the controller discover and show neighbors like any other z-wave node?

Any insight would be most appreciated ...thanks.

I have had this problem since day one with Z-Wave, no neighbours and no mesh which has meant I have had to return some z-wave modules to X10 even though the module was withing inches of another working module!

I will watch this thread with interest.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

my ztroller shows the same thing, no neighbors, and non listening? I also believe that z-wave being a mesh network is a myth.
      Attached Files
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

I have exactly the same problem on my HS3-Pi installation. But, should we expect the Z-Stick to have any neighbours? Aren't neighbours just used for the return route? In fact I even get this message in the log:

Oct-21 4:01:15 PM Z-Wave Warning Device Z-Wave Controller Z-Wave Interface Z-Stick (1) will not be optimized because it is a HomeSeer controller

Comment

Here is my stick
          Attached Files

Comment

Antoon, if you click on the name of your Z-Stick, and then click on the Z-Wave tab of the information screen, are you given a set of buttons to Optimise, Audit, Test Connectivity, etc?

Comment

No i don't have these buttons on my z stick.

Comment

So, is the neighbour information stored on the Z-Stick or in the Homeseer software? I ask because I still have 11 days trial on HS3 on my Windows PC, so I plugged my Z-Stick into the PC and ran HS3.

In HS3 Windows, I see this for the Z-Stick - 5 neighbours:

Whereas if I plug exactly the same Z-Stick into my HS3-Pi installation it suddenly has only one neighbour:

In both cases I didn't run any network optimisation at all. So, is it simply that some versions of HS3 (HS3-Pi for example) just don't report the neighbours found on the Z-Stick, or what? Is it the Z-Stick that handles all the routing via. neighbours?

Comment

My Z-Stick shows 23 neighbors. I have 29 nodes so I guess if it could see them all directly it would be 28. Some are quite a distance and through stone walls so I'm not surprised.
                  There aren't any optimize buttons on the Z-Stick ZWave tabs. It's never crossed my min to optimize the stick. However, mine was running in HS2 for a couple of years before HS3 and will have been running ZHealth from time to time.
                  Steve

Comment

So, my Z-Stick shows as only having 1 neighbour. In the mode information, it lists node 2 as the only neighbour. So, I unplugged node 2, and the Z-Stick can still send commands to other nodes, and receive from other nodes. I suspect that some versions of the Z-Wave plugin aren't reporting neighbour information fully for the Z-Stick.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbat View Post
                      So, my Z-Stick shows as only having 1 neighbour. In the mode information, it lists node 2 as the only neighbour. So, I unplugged node 2, and the Z-Stick can still send commands to other nodes, and receive from other nodes. I suspect that some versions of the Z-Wave plugin aren't reporting neighbour information fully for the Z-Stick.
                      You will only see a neighbor if the routing needs a neighbor. Z-Wave will always try a direct connection first and if it succeeds use that route.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by tarbat View Post
                        I suspect that as well. With the latest plugin (for windows), it shows many neighbors for my z-troller, but I recall not seeing the neighbors on my z-troller in older versions so it may have gotten fixed along the way.

Cheers
                        Al
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Tested with latest production version v138, which includes Z-Wave plugin version 3.0.0.178. Still only one neighbour on the Z-Stick.
                          Last edited by tarbat; October 22, 2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

For info, I have been in contact with Help Desk, and after various actions such as upgrading to v138 and rescanning, optimising, etc. the conclusion is that this is probably just a discrepancy between the Linux PI and WIN versions and they will look into it further, but not to worry about it if it isn't negatively effecting your communications.

My Z-Wave communications seem to be working okay, but I do only have a small house with timber frame walls, so my Z-Stick can probably communicate directly to all nodes anyway!

Comment

I have a similar situation w a new install of HS3-Zstick2 on a Win7 laptop.

- setup jasco and yale at front door (nodes 2&3) with laptop in close prox.
                              - moved laptop to garage - 25' - installed yale and jasco in garage.

Zstick now says neighbor 2 is poor and optimize is not helping.
                              Brought laptop back to front door and HS3 duplicated node 2 (jasco) after doing full scan.

Something between the Zstick firmware and HS3 are not playing right. I think a removal of all devices - and adding them in order of the mesh distances might be in order.
                              i.e. - server in garage - add garage devices - let them mesh - add distant devices - let them mesh and route.

More testing planned.

Comment

Working...
                              X