Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to HS3PRO and move to new PC

Hi everyone,

I have HS2Pro running on an old XP PC; I purchased the upgrade to HS3Pro, but I want to move the whole thing to a new Windows 7 PC.

What's the best order to do things in? Do I move HS2Pro to the new PC, and then run the upgrade? Or install HS3Pro on the new PC and then try to move my settings over after that?

Thanks in advance.
    John

Originally posted by jverb View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have HS2Pro running on an old XP PC; I purchased the upgrade to HS3Pro, but I want to move the whole thing to a new Windows 7 PC.

What's the best order to do things in? Do I move HS2Pro to the new PC, and then run the upgrade? Or install HS3Pro on the new PC and then try to move my settings over after that?

Thanks in advance.
    John
    Hi John
    Sadly there really isn't much in the way of an upgrade process. There is really a very limited conversion process and most events will need re-creating.

What you can do is setup HS3 on the new machine whilst keeping HS2 on the old machine. Jon00 has created a connector that you can utilise between the 2 machines to allow you to continue to run some things on the HS2 machine whilst converting others to HS3.

However, if your setup is simple, you may well benefit from starting from scratch, given that HS3 is so fundamentally different - especially the events engine.

I started totally afresh and also took the Linux route (which adds its own challenges), but am now mostly there with my limited selection of plug-ins.

Cheers
    James
    cheeryfool

Comment

Hi James,

Thanks for your help. I think my setup is simple -- I have 20 or so Insteon devices, an Insteon Thermostat, and plug-ins I wrote myself for my weather station and security system. I have about 30 or 40 events that I will have to re-create.

So starting from scratch sounds like the way to go.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
      John

Comment

Also be sure to review your plugin code and the HS3 API before making your move - there have been some significant changes.
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Yes, I was afraid of that. My plugins basically read updated data from a text file and change device status based on that. I hope there isn't too many huge changes in how that works.

Comment

I just nuked the whole thing and went to a new computer when going to HS3.... the good thing is that it shows you how HS3 performs differently and you get to learn the new version a bit better. Still a bit of a learning curve for me on HS3... I personally feel that HS2 was a bit more predictable than HS3...

Comment

So starting from scratch sounds like the way to go.
              I did.

I also did screen shots of my events and variables and plugin stuff printing them out.

I understand its sort of legacy way.

You can also just do screen shots and save them to JPG files. Put them on a USB stick.

I've been using a program called Polyview from Polybytes. Well its been like 20 years when I originally purchased it. Recently the author has released to the software in a "free" mode such that you do not need to pay for it any more. (thinking he is retiring?).
              It is adware free and very functional. I am still using it today. I also utilize Adobe Photoshop; but this program is much lighter.

Polyview from Polybytes can be downloaded here:

http://www.polybytes.com/

It is a very light program that you can run in portable mode. If you do the thumbnails / thumbnail explorer of a folder you can see thumbnails of all of your pictures/JPGs.

With 2-3 LCD's connected to your desktop you can bring up a screen print on one LCD and configure Homeseer 3 via a browser on another LCD.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X