X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Labs Home Energy Monitor Discussion

I thought I'd start a thread on this product:
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...ion-P1643.aspx

My Current Cost unit died a while back and I decided to replace it with a Z-Wave device for a few reasons:
    --I could always use another repeater, especially since this is mounted outside.
    --The existing Z-Wave plugin is used, so there's no need for a separate plugin.
    --Frees up some space in my wiring closet.

Installation was relatively painless. It's installed near the main breaker panel. 2 current transformers are used. The device itself is 110v-powered. I clipped the plug and used an existing breaker for power.

The Z-Wave plugin (currently on v3.0.0.159) imported, but no child devices were created. I had to rescan to get all child devices. Once all child devices were created, it started sending data at factory-default settings ranging from 60s to once/day.

You can modify these intervals and groups by going to the root device and selecting the options from the z-wave tab.

The data comes individually for each current transformer. That means you must add them together to get useful stats. The CurrentCost plugin did this for you. With the AL device, you must create some events to sum them into a virtual device. Kind of a pain since the virtual device will not be grouped with the rest of the AL devices.

One other item that it does, and I cant decide if this is a pro or con. The Z-Wave plugin logs all energy devices to the energy database. You have no control over this, meaning you cant turn it off at all, which is a little concerning if you run a Zee and want to optimize performance. Storing any relative history in the database, i.e. a month or more, will simply not be possible if you set it up to clear the energy database.

I'd like to hear others chime in with their experience.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

My CurrentCost (was crap) is now dead and I'd be keen to swap but keen to know some more opinions first.

I personally think the currentcost was rubbish. Range limited, killed batteries, very unreliable wireless, the 'desktop display' that had to connect to the server making it nearly useless as a display and the currentcost serial to usb which runs on a cheap-as-chips converter chip with no drivers for 7/8 (you need to run an old one to make it work, but you need to figure it out yourself as they don't provide them).

(For those that end up by accident, here is the driver you need: https://www.sendspace.com/file/5m5afw)

Another thing to note is that the HomeSeer guys seem intent on only supplying graphs for CurrentCost plug in and nothing else - hopefully that'll change though, hey guys?

Comment

Yeah, I never liked the display of the CC being the interface.

So far the HEM is running ok as far as getting data into HS. The current Z-Wave plugin has bugs that cause you not to be able to write events to use the data, so I'm patiently waiting a fix for that.

I'm working on an HSTouch page for Electricity consumption and realtime usage. Not having events to aggregate the data is holding me back a little.

Comment

so i know there are a few people out there creating plugins for the brultech stuff... 1240's and greeneye... with graphs, etc..

this way looks cheaper than the brultech way....

im going to revisit what I am doing for electric monitoring as i bought stuff but never really set it up so im curious on the outcome of what you guys do....

you are only wanting to monitor the main power to the panel usage? no individual circuits?
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
          so i know there are a few people out there creating plugins for the brultech stuff... 1240's and greeneye... with graphs, etc..

this way looks cheaper than the brultech way....

im going to revisit what I am doing for electric monitoring as i bought stuff but never really set it up so im curious on the outcome of what you guys do....

you are only wanting to monitor the main power to the panel usage? no individual circuits?
          Correct. Just both legs of my electrical panel.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like this version of the HEM (version 2) is just as busted in HS3 as the Gen 1 is.

For the record, the device reports summed values. It reports power for each leg and the sum, kWh used for each leg and the sum, as well as the battery values. See my post for pictures compare to HS2: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167693

Oops, nevermind. You already saw that in that thread!

-BD

Comment

Yeah, the device will report more than what is being captured. The more recent betas has fixed some of the issues, most notably the ability to trigger an event on changes. I wrote a script to add both legs together for a total kWh which I store in a virtual device. From there, I can at least display it in HSTouch.

Comment

I'm still on HS2. Do you think it will work?

Comment

Here's a quick How-To on getting around the issue of the Z-Wave plugin not receiving the Total kWh usage. I use this to display the total kWh usage on a wall mounted HSTouch client.

First, create a virtual device called RealtimeWatts. Make it status only. Click on the advanced tab and note the Reference ID.

Next, find the Reference ID for the Watts 1 and Watts 2 devices.

Next, create an event to fire anytime Watts 1 or Watts 2 changes and add them together in a script - replace the reference IDs listed in this script with your reference IDs:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rob,
                    thanks for the post. This really helps!
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      Here's a quick How-To on getting around the issue of the Z-Wave plugin not receiving the Total kWh usage. I use this to display the total kWh usage on a wall mounted HSTouch client.

First, create a virtual device called RealtimeWatts. Make it status only. Click on the advanced tab and note the Reference ID.

Next, find the Reference ID for the Watts 1 and Watts 2 devices.

Next, create an event to fire anytime Watts 1 or Watts 2 changes and add them together in a script - replace the reference IDs listed in this script with your reference IDs:
                      Hi Rob,

You probably know this, but your formula gives instantaneous kilowatts (kW), not kilowatt-hours (kWh). You would need to factor time in to get kWh.

Cheers
                      Al
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        Hi Rob,

You probably know this, but your formula gives instantaneous kilowatts (kW), not kilowatt-hours (kWh). You would need to factor time in to get kWh.

Cheers
                        Al
                        Ah, you're right. It is just kW - I use this to display on my touchpads.
                        The script I posted above is the version that just adds the two legs together.

Comment

I created a virtual device but could see exact where I could put this combined value.
                          Sorry but you probably spell this out, but how and what do you use to associate this with a virtual device that shows the combined value.
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                            I created a virtual device but could see exact where I could put this combined value.
                            Sorry but you probably spell this out, but how and what do you use to associate this with a virtual device that shows the combined value.
                            No problem - in the example above, 270 is my virtual device. Just replace the 270 with the reference id of your virtual device. It's on the advanced tab for your virtual device. Let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

Thanks Rob!,
                              I didn't an email from this thread and so missed it, till I just did a search for it.
                              Thanks for your help.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X