No announcement yet.

Environment Canada Weather plugin - HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The forecast feed doesn't always have both high and low, this is when it displays a dot. For example:

<title>Thursday night: Cloudy. Low 6.</title>
    <link type="text/html" href="https://www.weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-54_metric_e.html"/>
    <updated>2020-11-17T10:04:00Z</updated>
    <published>2020-11-17T10:04:00Z</published>
    <category term="Weather Forecasts"/>
    <summary type="html">Cloudy. Low 6. Forecast issued 05:04 AM EST Tuesday 17 November 2020</summary>
    <id>tag:weather.gc.ca,2013-04-16n-54_fc6:20201117100400</id>
    </entry>
    <entry>

If the low or high is zero/0, it should display 0.

Comment

Version 3.0.0.25 is available (see post 1 for link). This fixes TLS 1.3 requirement that Environment Canada recently enforced. You will need .NET Framework 4.8 and Windows 10. Windows 7 does not support TLS 1.3.

Comment

Having the same issue - when no value is provided when getting forecast the string value is changed to ".".

Can the plugin be configured to not change a string value when no value is provided when getting new forecast settings?

Comment

Originally posted by clachapelle View Post
          Having the same issue - when no value is provided when getting forecast the string value is changed to ".".

Can the plugin be configured to not change a string value when no value is provided when getting new forecast settings?
          I am not clear what the ask is. The . signifies there is no data for that device in the feed. I did this so that I could see something in the HSTouch designer rather than nothing. What would you like the device string to be when there is no data in the feed for that device / forecast entry?

Comment

Hi, below from the HomeSeer log, yul-Forecast12_low was set to 0 or ".", but should not (should stay at -11) until a new value is provided...

2-02-2021 16:00:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 04:00:47:1167 ~ Value change ref:1387 Address:yul-Forecast12_low NewVal: 0OldVal: 0
            2-02-2021 16:00:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 04:00:47:1157 ~ String change event for yul-Forecast12_low to string:.
            2-02-2021 16:00:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 04:00:47:1147 ~ String change event for yul-Forecast12_low to string:
            2-02-2021 15:45:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 03:45:47:0837 ~ Value change ref:1387 Address:yul-Forecast12_low NewVal: 0OldVal: -11
            2-02-2021 15:45:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 03:45:47:0827 ~ String change event for yul-Forecast12_low to string:.
            2-02-2021 15:45:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 03:45:47:0827 ~ String change event for yul-Forecast12_low to string:
            2-02-2021 15:30:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 03:30:47:1327 ~ Value change ref:1387 Address:yul-Forecast12_low NewVal: -11OldVal: -11
            2-02-2021 15:30:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 03:30:47:1317 ~ String change event for yul-Forecast12_low to string:-11
            2-02-2021 15:30:47 HomeSeer HSTouch Server Debug 03:30:47:1307 ~ String change event for yul-Forecast12_low to string:

Comment

Each forecast entry in the XML feed shows the forecast for a morning or evening. The feed usually doesn't provide both a high and a low for any given forecast entry. If I keep the old value then I am displaying old data that might not be accurate. The plugin displays whatever is in the feed. I don't plan to change this.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgo View Post
                Version 3.0.0.25 is available (see post 1 for link). This fixes TLS 1.3 requirement that Environment Canada recently enforced. You will need .NET Framework 4.8 and Windows 10. Windows 7 does not support TLS 1.3.
                I am getting Page Not Found when I click on the link.

Comment

Each forecast entry in the XML feed shows the forecast for a morning or evening. The feed usually doesn't provide both a high and a low for any given forecast entry. If I keep the old value then I am displaying old data that might not be accurate. The plugin displays whatever is in the feed. I don't plan to change this.
                  so how to avoid having the plugin resetting the last value with nothing when nothing is provided?

events, counters, scripts?

Comment

status field is not planned for this purpose? we know when the value has been updated which is better than having the last value overwritten by a ".".

no?

Comment

Originally posted by clachapelle View Post

status field is not planned for this purpose? we know when the value has been updated which is better than having the last value overwritten by a ".".

no?
                      Free plugin, free support. Use it or don't, your call. If you want tweaks figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post

I am getting Page Not Found when I click on the link.
                        I took it down. Considering killing this off for public use.

Comment

I took it down. Considering killing this off for public use.
                          Sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing over the years. I am going to update my Homeseer server to Windows 10 and TLS1.3 in case you change your mind and are williing to share. I completely understand your thought process with the support demands from Environment Canada changes and users in general.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi chrisgo , Thanks for this great plugin!
                            the parsing option to manage icons is a fantastic tool.

Wondering if you would consider these features as I'm facing a problem with HStouch integration;

1 - The use case is the following:

I simply want to display Today's Daytime and Tomorrow's Daytime forecasts

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210319-160045_HSTouch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.6 KB ID:	1464092

The way virtual devices are now created by the plugin (Forecast1, Forecast2, etc.) actually alternates between daytime/nightime for the same HS device, which makes it impossible or difficult to only track daytime forecasts and ignore nighttime.

Would it possible to change the naming structure to "daytime1, daytime2.... and nighttime1, nighttime2.....)
                            or not to disrupt existing installations, put it as an option ?

Otherwise if you have a workaround in mind, feel free to let me know.

2- Related to no1: adding "weekday" to the virtual device; which would help populate the associated field (see "SAT" in the screenshot above)
                            IE Daytime1_weekday, Nighttime1_weekday, Daytime2_weekday, etc.
                            I have written a script as a workaround on this one but again, it would be a "nice to have".

Let me know what you think and/or if there are other ways to accomplish this.

Thank you and have a great weekend,

Yann

Comment

I support Canadian Weather in AKWeather plugin - current observations already available, implementing forecast. It's the worst wether provider implementation I dealt with, but I'm getting there.

Comment

Thanks Alex, will definitely give your plugin a try as it seems this one is not supported anymore.

currently working on a landscaping project while the 3 months canadian summer lasts, but will resume HS projects once I'm done.

Saw your other thread about env. Canada integration, will report back there.

What I really like about this one is the possibility to parse/scan keywords and associate your own set of icons based on matches.

What I don't like is in the post above.

Hopefully I can get the best of both worlds with yours.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                                X